SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fromflorida_gw

Advice please on inexpensive DYI bathroom makeover

fromflorida
14 years ago

After years spent on a kitchen remodel, I'm ready to tackle our two stuck-in-the-'80s upstairs bathrooms -- one the master. Problem is, I'm ready, but my husband would faint at the thought of spending more money on a remodel.

So I'm looking for advice for some quick fixes to turn these two ugly ducklings into, if not swans, at least cuter ducklings.

First question, they both have custommade vanities made of the same ugly light blue formica-like material with rounded doors and gray-veined marble tops. They are quite functional but really unattractive. So, the options would be painting them or getting news doors and drawers. If we painted, is there a particular kind of paint that does well on this kind of surface? Any recommendations or photos of painted formica-like cabinets? Or if we decide to reface, any suggestions on a reasonably priced source of doors/drawers?

The second issue is that the smaller of the two bathrooms has this ugly, ugly tile all over the place. I'm sure scme people might like it but it's this taupey iridescent small tile in a kind of French pattern, which sounds like it could be nice but isn't. It is realistic to think we could take this tile down ourselves to save money?

I've already started taking down wallpaper, which of course is also plastered to the celing! Any advice, photos would be much appreciated!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!