SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
historian79

Is It OK to Leave the Rough Edge of Tongue+Groove Composite Visible?

Danielle Gottwig
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm looking for feedback/suggestions on a problem.

We have an old covered porch, which for many years was covered in multiple layers of plywood. Is has a pitch so water that hits the front of the porch runs off the front.

We are going to take up the top layers of wood and replace it with tongue-and-groove composite porch boards. We're going to run the board planks from the front of the house outward to the front of the deck. Like this:

This tongue-and groove porch flooring should create a solid surface, and help to prevent water infiltration. That is important as there will still be some old material under our new material, and I don't want water getting down there and getting trapped.

This leaves an aesthetic problem. Although very functional, the porch boards ends will be visible to anyone standing in front of the deck. Colorwise, the core of the board will be a similar light gray to the finished outside of the board. But you'll be able to see how boards join together, and it will be the unfinished edge, rather than a capped one. It will look a little like this:

Has anyone done this? How did it look? Were you / was the home owner happy?

I've been trying to think of possible solutions, if this is aesthetically undesirable. The most obvious would be to run a deck board perpendicular, to create a border and finished outside edge, like this:

However, the deck board I would need to use would not connect tongue-and-groove to the porch boards. So I'm worried that will create an little gap for rain water to channel into the deck. That is a valid concern, right?

Another idea would be to rip a 1" strip of fascia board and run it along the front edge of porch planks. To cover the rough edge. My porch boards "overhang" the porch skirt a little bit, as they do now.

Another idea would be to mount my fascia board (porch shirt) so that it covers the front edge of the boards, Like this:

Back Porch · More Info

But I'm not sure if the fascia is likely to warp or trap debris.

I've never done work on porches, decks, or with composite before. So I'm not sure which of these concepts actually makes sense / looks good. What would you do?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County