SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

"you had to be there" leaves

greentoe357
9 years ago

Some species' leaves don't photograph well - maybe they feel funky to the touch, or maybe they come in tones even expensive cameras can't reproduce, or they have the sharpest edge, or an unusual succulence, or a crinkly edge, or raised veins, or a recurved edge not typically visible in 2D, or... or...

Sometimes googling images just isn't enough to get a feel is what I'm saying. Let's talk about what surprised you in some hoya species' leaves when you got them or saw them in person.

I'll start.

H. litoralis: the leaves look like nothing special at all, but the undersides feel like the gentlest nail file ever. There's a rough velvet sort of feel to them. I am very glad I got it.

H. DS-70: the tops of leaves is what you normally see in foliage pictures, and yes, they are alright - but the edges are recurved and the undersides covered with very short very dense hairs - they feel like velvet. I think this one is due the props it deserves but surprisingly rarely gets, despite its seeming ubiquity.

H. curtisii: another one that is relatively wide in circulation. The splotches and the adorable leaf shape and the copper coloration in high light and the cute growing habit - all of that is google'able - but have you noticed that mature leaves feel like buttons on an expensive men's dress shirt? The proportions feel right for it (leaves are thick and rounded, except for the apex of course), and the nice tactile feel is present as well. I've actually noticed this just now as I was going around my trays feeling all the leaves for this thread - despite growing it since last fall. :-) By the way, do not feel that leaf too enthusiastically - petioles are very crunchy and feel like they will snap right off.

H. macgillivrayii / onychoides / archboldiana: this was mentioned by GG and Denise previously. Goth-looking leaves, apparently, that do not photograph well. My cutting of macgillivrayi is new and recovering, so I personally cannot be the judge of that till new leaves grow.

Some species are on my list partially because I suspect they belong to this list and I want to look at them up close and personally. Does this make sense? Here:

* caudata (hairy top surface, jagged-knife-looking edge),
* sp. DML 5655B IML 1398 EPC 653 (surface looks like it would feel sandpapery),
* erythrina (wavy edge with raised veins - that must feel even better than it looks),
* clemensiorum (it looks like a veiny bodybuilder, but you know, infinitely nicer),
* sp. UT-001 EPC 201 ("I am here to sand your floors" kind of leaves),
* villosa/globulosa (they are somewhat similar, I understand - very dinosaur-looking),
* endauensis (looks similar to but better than kanyakumariana, not as raggedy - those crinkled leaf edges seem touchable and adorable),
* thomsonii (very hairy leaves),
* miralbilis (I don't even know with this one - it looks hairy, or gritty, or pox-faced, or something like that),
* campanulata (what's up with those wavy bubbly leaves?)

And I think I'll stop. What do you have along these lines that you can share with us? Let's keep flowers out of this conversation - they deserve a thread of their own.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville