SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
begonia2015

Frustrated Color Nut - kindly suggest a DIY option!

begonia2015
5 years ago

The front of our house has no landscaping color. Being the color nut that I am when it comes to gardens, this bothers me to no end during the warm season.

I am absolutely crazy about blooms - the stronger, brighter and more massive the color, the better.

We have some landscaping with a narrow plant bed along the foundation which includes some green shrubs and azalea bushes. The azalea show lasts only briefly in the Spring. A couple of weeks of color along the foundation in the Spring, and then it's over for the rest of the year.

I decided that I need to be able to plant some colorful annuals and perennials somewhere in the front of the house. However, I learned the hard way this is easier said than done with our yard.

Virtually the entire land around our house is just hard Georgia clay with tons of rocks, many left from construction materials that the developers left behind and covered up decades ago; plus a thousand thick tree roots because it is an established, older neighborhood with very tall trees.

Briefly, it is a nightmare to try to dig even the smallest hole in the ground to plant anything.

I have two empty spots that are literally begging for something colorful and have good sun exposure too.

One is right in the middle of our lawn where we have a dogwood and a bed of mulch all around it.

The other is on the left side of the house, across the driveway - there is a mulched bed there too.

I realized the best way to deal with this issue would be to plant on a mound around the dogwood or create some kind of raised flower bed on the left side - but the latter is expensive.

I d not like those diy wood boxes, it would have to be a stone wall or something and I have no clue how to do a stone raised-bed myself. Nether do I know how to plant on a mound.

Short of calling the landscaping company and getting a quote equivalent to a fortune, what would you advise me to do with either of these two spots to be able to add some summer color to this boring landscape?

Here are some pictures:

1) Dogwood on front lawn. Major yawn.

2) Plant bed on left side of driveway - under large tree. Tons of old thick roots and horribly rocky soil. .

When I look at our front landscape, my eyes hurt from all the boredom. In the back I have my deck containers with colorful annuals over the rails, on the table, etc; but in the front, I cannot do that.

I need color in the landscape. Thank you so much for any advice!

Comments (36)