SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kendravicknair

What is wrong with newly planted New Dawn?

kendravicknair
5 years ago
Hello. I live in North Georgia, US, zone 7a. I planted a New Dawn rose about 3 weeks ago. It was purchased from Heirloom Roses and it was doing great in its pot. It grew about 3 feet in height in the few weeks it was in the pot.

I planted it according to their planting instructions, with a big hole and incorporating peat moss into the soil. Within a week of planting, it’s leaves started turning a pale brownish yellow. At the time we planted it we were having temps in the 90s and no rain, but we were watering it regularly. This week we have had a lot of rain and mostly cloudy days. But the weather hasn’t seemed to affect its appearance. It has just gotten worse and worse. It put out a little bit of new growth, but now that new growth is shriveling.

I have a group of Sunny Knockout roses planted nearby. They’ve been doing great all summer, but now several of them are looking pitiful too. Their damage is different, but I mention it in case it might be related. Yellow speckled leaves are dropping and leaving nearly bare plants.

I’ve attached a few photos. The first two are of New Dawn. The last is of one of the nearby Knockouts.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (14)