SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22590553

Painting over high gloss paint (Hey Faron! & Others)

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I hear the paint forum is a mess these days so I'm posting here quick.

My bathroom vanity is primed with Zinsser 123 and two coats of SW All Surface Enamel in high gloss (color SW Woodsy Brown). If I decide to repaint do I need to sand? I'm really hoping I don't have to strip the vanity. That's a lot of extra work these days. Can I clean well and use Zinsser 123 or maybe the Zinsser Bin would be even better in this case? Open to hearing of other primers but I've liked using the Zinsser ones in the past.

My horror story of sanding happened years back when I painted my stair treads and railings in the same color and high gloss finish in SW Porch and Floor paint. Unfortunately it never dried properly and was told it was a bad batch of paint as others complained too and SW was discontinuing that product. Last I checked they still make it. Anyhow, they gave me some free sandpaper (not near enough or all the proper grades), tape, and a gallon of their marine grade paint so I could fix it. Long story short, everything should have been stripped. Sanding just made an uneven gummed up mess. Maybe it wouldn't be bad doing just a scuffing over properly cured paint. I'm sure the cured part will make a huge difference. Tired and rambling. Thoughts please. Thank you!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES