SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Faron..(& others) please educate me on Ace Paints

User
15 years ago

Hey Faron! I called you out because I know you're pretty uh..familiar with Ace paints! Anyone else is welcome to chime in.

I'm heading tomorrow to buy paint for the LR. The only place that carries BM paint near me is at an Ace Hardware store. (Nothing as cool as yours) For some reason I was thinking the BM paints were $30 something a gallon but after reading some different threads today I'm hearing numbers more like $45/ga. I know it's not that much of a difference but I was cringing before.

Hoping you can educate me quick on Ace Paints. What's the best, what's not. Any info you can give me would be awesome. I'm sure it's not much cheaper but if the paint is good, why not?

Ohhh and they will have to match the BM Shelburne Buff color as well as BM Navajo White. How scary is this? I have a sample board painted of the Shelburne I could take along.

Now quick! Hurry hurry! I'm leaving in like 15 hours! :P

Comments (15)

• Faron79
    15 years ago

Wow! I've never been "called out" on a website before!

Obviously, BM has great lines too. The Aura is great...better be for $45+/gal!
    (That's our C2 competition though!)

Bottom-line...assuming proper prep., etc., I'll put ACE-Royal up against 95% of the other paints out there in the $20 to $30-ish/gal. range.

>>> Stay in the ACE-Royal line though...their best.

It's a very good paint for that (crowded!) price range.
    * Almost all of the "Royal" line is 100% Acrylic.
    * The "Regular" Flat is a good Vinyl/Acrylic.
    * The "Sensations" Flat (with Scotchguard) had an award from BHG I think?! This Flat runs ~ $26/gal.
    * ACE dealers have been hit twice this year with price increases...who hasn't...aaarrgggh!
    * Percent-Volume-Solids is pretty high for this price-point...mid-to-upper 30g/L.

ACE has made their own paint in 2 plants in Suburban Chicago since the mid-80's! They also make other "private" brands to those companies spec's.

We could've been a BM dealer, but decided to be more exclusive with a premium line, and went with C2.
    * This past year, we cracked the "Top-40" U.S. ACE Paint dealer volume.
    * Springtime is the biggest stock-up time...we'll usually order over 2,000 gallons of just ACE stuff.
    * All in all, it's pretty popular up here!

Matching:
    * Bring your color-chip(s) & sample-board(s).
    * Give-'em some time to tweak a match if necessary!
    * Obviously, store personnel, software, scanners & tinters vary!!
    * Many times, the stored matches aren't perfect...I wish they were!!
    * Depending on the lightness of the color, some tinters can't shave the formula down enough.
    (thank G*D for our $$$$C2 tinter! I could consistently shoot 0.136 shots if need be. That kind of accuracy isn't available on many tinters)
    * If your store stocks the pre-mixed Whites, try the ACE Light Navajo White, and others.

Faron
    whew...now I'll let all the others chime in!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for answering my distress call so fast!

WhatÂs C2? Is that a different line than the Royal?

Ok, so if I want to use flat on my ceiling I want Sensations Flat? ThatÂs the better of the two? Any problems with ÂI think burnishing is the word if you have to tough up later?

Matching  Should I worry about the colors matching since I need more than one gallon? That shouldnÂt be a problem right?

These may sound like silly questions but havenÂt had a lot of experience with paint.

IÂm assuming they make an eggshell? I need something that is washable!

Our Ace store does prestock some colors. The Light Navajo White is similar to BM Navajo White eh? I also need a semi gloss just plain old "white" for my trim.

Gosh, I'm excited and nervous to paint!! So weird!

• Related Discussions

FARON! What's up with my paint?

Q

Comments (12)
    So I did call the paint store today. They haven't had any other complaints. I have 1/2 gallon left and they suggested to bring it in and they'd mix it up well for touch ups. I explained I've always had flashing with that paint for any touch ups. Honestly I think a touch up in that area would look worse. After I purchased the paint I think I did wait a few weeks to start. Is it a possibility that it wasn't mixed well enough by that point? I suppose I'll leave it along. Out of curiosity, how long does paint last? I'm assuming there are a lot of different factors for that - brand, color, etc. Was just wondering if I were going to repaint that whole wall if it would match better to do it now vs. later. When I paint the kitchen I think I'm going to try BM Regal Select in matte. I know the upgrade in paint was well worth it to me in the bathrooms and I'm hoping I'll feel the same with the kitchen.
    ...See More

Callout to Faron about cabinet paint

Q

Comments (6)
    Faron, I love your information and opinions about those obscure paints... I want to use the best quality paints, not the ones that are so heavily advertized to make us think that they are the best and that's why I drove over one hundred miles to the paint shop in Warrenton VA where they carry FPE, C-2 F&B and BM and I spent $200.00 in F & B sample pots. I was talking to the paint guy there about painting cabinets with BM... and he told me he thought the FPE paints were the best for cabinets and that BM is a close second So again thank you (and fun colors) for educating me.
    ...See More

Corny? Would anyone like to see my 'Faron's Paint World'??

Q

Comments (4)
    I would love to see it! I love paint, it is such an amazing substance and I love to see color glide on objects and my house. It's viceral, somehow, and organic to humans to decorate their space. Please, please let us see your paint space! Katie
    ...See More

Callout to Faron about cabinet paint

Q

Comments (5)
    You might want to try posting on kitchens, lots of advice there about painting cabinets. I never tried the ACE paint, but used BM satin impervo oil on cabinets and it has been wonderful.
    ...See More
  • Faron79
    15 years ago

Hey Sharee!
    C2 is a completely different company...an Ultra-premium line. Only about 55 U.S. retailers. The C2 Premium & Premium-LOVO lines are $40-$50/gal.

Use the "normal" ACE-Royal Flat for the ceilings, OR the actual "Ceiling Paint".
    * Sensations Flat is for walls.
    * It's good fit for people who love a Matte look, but need good washability.
    * Once 2 full coats are cured for a month, it washes beautifully.
    * Sharpie-markers, peanut-butter, and spaghetti-sauce are some stuff we've actually tried...and cleaned off!!

Yes Sharee, there is an Eggshell!
    (think Santa Claus there!)
    * It's the most popular sheen here...hundreds of gallons/yr.
    * It's a nice, subtle sheen.
    * I try to stress Satins or sometimes Semi-gloss for bathrooms however. THANK G*D for S/G in our teenage DD's bath!!

Matching:
    * Once a good match is obtained, have them print a 2nd label with your formula, tint-base, etc.
    * And/or...if they have good software, have them record all your info., name, etc., into their program.
    * If I've got multiple "custom" matches goin' on, I'll tweak one gallon 'till it matches, save the formula, and tint the rest.

Trims:
    * Yeah, I'd use a S/G too, but it's personal pref.
    * Depending on wall tone, some of those pre-tint Whites may look pretty on trim too?!
    * The Ultra-White tint-base is a bright white! Consider if you want WHITE trim, or something a little softer.
    * I haven't compared those 2 colors. Bring your chips!
    * Have-'em shake up a pre-mix and dry a little sample.

REMEMBER...paint-chips aren't paint!
    A dried sample on a chip will look a little different, 'cuz the light is diffused a bit different.

Remember...
    Good prep/priming, brushes, rollers, and technique are a big part of any paintjob!

Faron

• lkplatow
    15 years ago

I used the Ace Royal (Satin, I think?) in my son's bedroom. It went on nicer and has held up better than the expensive BM paint I used in my daughter's room. I used an actual Ace color (Morning Glory) and it is gorgeous - Ace has a really nice color palette, which isn't something you get from most store-brand paints.

I was really impressed with the Ace paint. Since moving here 6 years ago, I've tried a little of everything - a couple different BM lines, SW lines, wal-mart paint, Ralph Lauren, Ace paint, Duron, Graham, Muralo. My favorite for what you get for the money is Duron velvet flat (it's more cleanable than anything I've ever tried) but I'd probably put Ace second, especially if I didn't need a scrubbable flat (and in ace's defense, I've never tried their sensations flat - it could be every bit as good as the Duron).

I did use Ace paint in my closet and tried to have them match a BM color - the match wasn't spot on, but it was good enough. I probably could have asked them to tweak, but it was just for a closet, so I didn't bother.

The ACE paint goes on sale all the time around here and is a great bargain compared to other paints in the same price range. And at least here, our Ace is having a 20% off everything you can fit in a paper shopping bag on Saturday (tomorrow) - don't know if that's nationwide though, but you might call your store to ask. You can also join the helpful hardware club and they'll send you coupons and gift certificates after you spend so much $.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

IÂm back!! Phew, what a day of shoppinÂ!

I spent like three hours in Michaels looking at and buying Christmas decorations/stuff. I am so pumped right now to decorate. Plus when I got home my wreath I ordered from ebay was on the front porch. I currently have it hanging on my foyer closet door just so I can look at it. Haha I think DH thinks IÂm nuts.

Faron  IÂm so glad thereÂs a Santa!

Anyhow, went to Ace Hardware after and bought my paint.
    After comparing paint chips I decided the Light Navajo White looked pretty much the same as BM Navajo White and thought whatever, itÂs on the ceiling. I get up to the counter and the man was very nice but obviously had no clue what he was really doing or talking about. The program was shutting down on him. He and another guy stood there for a long time rebooting the machine and we were getting nowhere. Finally the called the manager over and he made something happen. Got the ceiling paint ready to go and the manager guy asks if I want the Shelburne mixed up in the Ace paint because it would save me some money. He was very confident he could match it. I gave him my painted sample board and he went at it. First time it came out and he tested it the paint was a little too greenish. IÂm way too picky for that to be ok : ) Â so he tweaked it and BAM perfect! I am now officially in their system and all the paint info goodies were saved. Ended up getting Ace Royal Flat for the ceiling. Hoping it works just as ducky as the "ceiling paint". Bought Ace Royal Eggshell for the walls. He also is telling me itÂs washable. For the trim I bought Ace SG High Hiding White. IÂm hoping itÂs just white. They said it was.

Lkplato  Thanks for taking the time to type out that comparison as well. That also helped me feel confident to try the Ace. The paint wasnÂt on sale here today and totally forgot to even ask about that. I will keep it in mind for my other rooms.

I figure itÂs just paint and nobody I know is going to know and/or care if I have BM paint on my walls. Saved me a lot of money. (more $ for my Christmas decorations) I have a whole house to paint yet!

Thank you for answering my questions. IÂm glad I posted this before I went today.

Alisha

• Faron79
    15 years ago

Hey Sharee!

Can you come to my house & decorate...pleeeze?!??!

Glad your paint-trip turned out OK!

You might want to compare the High-Hiding White to the regular Ultra-White base. The HHW is a whisker grayer/browner. You'd have to see them side-by-side though!

The Royal Eggshell is fine for the walls.
    S/G perfect for trim.
    For the ceilings, the "Wall" white is fine...as I mentioned, the ceiling-whites are a bit thicker for using overhead.

Pictures ARE expected!!
    BOTH b4 & after, don'cha know!

Faron

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Faron  Are you Scroogey?! I think I take after my Grandma, she goes all out and gets really excited for holidays. My Mom used to when we were younger but sheÂs "cleaning out" and hardly puts anything up anymore. I tell her sheÂs scroogey. Ha she doesnÂt like it much! This is my first Thanksgiving, Christmas..all the holidays in my own house and I donÂt really have anything so it appears that IÂm going overboard.

Ahh man! The high hiding white is grayish/brownish!?? Then I want nothing to do with that paint. Ultra white sounded so BRIGHT. Serves me right for asking the nice guy who didnÂt appear to know too much. Can I exchange that? IÂd imagine it would be fine. That really bites that IÂm going to have to drive back over there. ItÂs almost an hour drive from my house. I could go after work I suppose, but I need to prep Monday. Grr. Thank you for the heads up though because I wouldnÂt have looked and I would have been repainting.

When you say for ceilings the "wall white" is fine are you talking about the base (remember I know nothing about paint) because I had them mix the Light Navajo for the ceiling.

I will post before and afters. IÂm sure IÂll be in paint shock when I get home Tuesday. Hopefully not too bad.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG! So I just have to look at the trim paint now and I was digging in my bag for the key to open and there is a nice little 20% off coupon!! I was thinking today was Sat. since I took off work. Oh well. Even if the girl at the counter would've been kind enough to mention it, I would've spend that in gas to drive back up tomorrow.

Lkplato - I'd say it's probably a universal sale. :)

I'm now going to look at the paint.........

• Faron79
    15 years ago

Sharee...
    The HHW is only the SLIGHTEST bit different from the Ultra-white tint-base. As I mentioned, you'd have to have them side-by-side to tell much difference.

Your LNWhite will be nice on the ceiling!
    * The formula for this goes into the Ultra-White tint-base (for walls), as opposed to the ceiling-paint.
    * Ceiling-paints aren't usually tinted, since they are also a whisker off-white, therefore the colors would be wrong if they tinted into a ceiling-white.
    * Also...CW's are a tad "flatter" than Wall-use Flats; and, they're a bit thicker as I stated earlier.

Don't worry though!!!
    Your chosen paints will be perfect!

>>> Also...the Bag-sale is nation-wide. Check your stores' policy regarding paint for this!

Faron

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Faron - Ha, you caught me as I did totally panic and failed to read "you'd have to see them side by side..." I must have stopped reading after grayer/browner.

I'll admit I painted some poster board and had it under all different lights. When asking others opinions on the color I received funny looks that were followed by ..."it's black! no wait, purple." :)

I'm going to keep it.

I'll post pics either late tomorrow or Wed.

Thanks again!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok Faron - I know I'm like WAAYY behind in posting these. Took his uncle longer than expected working on it here and there. I think I'll just paint the other rooms. :)

BEFORE:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

AFTER:
    the blue cube is the for the cats!
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

and here's some Christmasy ones for ya since I was so pumped about doing it.
    {{gwi:1451806}}
    {{gwi:1451867}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump for Faron

• Faron79
    15 years ago

Lookin' Goooood there chick!!!

I know the others 'round here will ask...what exact ACE colors did'ja use?!?!?

(as a nice, concise recap here...;-))
    >>> Color names, sheens, pre-tinted or store-tinted, etc., needed too ya know!!

I've been battling to get our OUTside lights up...arrghh...

...still have lighted garland & bells to get hung above entry window, etc.

Faron

(now, if you're not tooooo busy...get your butt up here & help us decorate INSIDE!!!)
    ;-)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

AH crap! I forgot to mention the types. I posted this on the decorating forum and did there. Sorry.

WALLS are mixed in Ace Royal Paint, Eggshell, color matches BM Shelburne Buff HC-28. Don't have the color mix right on hand. I took a sample board along and they were able to match it exact.

CEILING is Ace Royal, Flat, Light Navajo White. The BM Navajo White paint chip matched the Ace pretty darn close so I used the Ace color.

TRIM: Ace Royal, Semi Gloss, Color High Hiding White.

I'll admit the trim still isn't completely finished in these pics. DH's uncle did it all out of order from what I've heard on here. I didn't want to be rude and correct him since he offered to be nice and is doing it for free. The trim color is pretty much the same just that the sheen semi gloss. When is's 100% complete I'll post one of the trim. I'll probably end up just painting the rest of the house myself..:)

I have some garland I'm fighting with right now. Really thinking about taking it back and buying cheap stuff that actually bends. Other than that I'm about outta room for decorating inside.

I'll help decorate the inside if you help us finish...err start... the outside! North Dakota (right?) sounds nice.

• ummm
    15 years ago

bumping this up... question for faron :)

for wall (eggshell) - is royal or sensations better? it'd be for the hallway/stairwell. no kids, no pets (maybe cats later on?). i'd say high traffic since it is between the kitchen/garage/basement where laundry is :)

also, how big does a paint chip have to be to color match? i have a farrow & ball chip that i like but it's only about 3/4" x 1 1/4" big.

thanks!!