SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bea_in_fl

Advice about my Duranta

Hey guys I need some advice from north Floridians who have a Duranta. Mine is in a 25 gallon pot, 8', gorgeous, the butterflies and bees love it because it blooms spring-fall, the flowers smell good and it's one of my most favorite plants. Every winter we wheel it in the greenhouse when it gets below 40 degrees, so it spends 2-3 months there.

Here is my problem. With hubs having had that bypass I've been told heavy straining may be unadvisable for him going forward, and even with our "wheeley" the pot is so heavy that he would strain. So my choices are planting it outside or give it away. Floridata says it grows well in zones 9-12 and also this: "In Zone 8 the shrub dies to ground after hard freezes but resprouts in spring. It typically recovers quickly enough to bloom, but probably not set berries, by the following season's first frost."

But what about zone 9a? Would it die to the ground in a winter like we had last year or would it plain die? And if it didn't die all-together how long would it be before it started blooming?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES