SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lopes7

Kitchen Layout Questions

Matthew L
5 years ago

We are in the early stages of planning our kitchen renovation. Everything is going to be replaced, likely with some reconfiguration of the 13'6" x 11'6" space.

Current Layout

Our original idea has us removing the wall between the kitchen and the dining room, flipping the sink to the exterior wall and adding a peninsula. We've received two similar designs so far that basically used our guidance to develop a plan. I've laid this out in Proposal #1 below. We are also hoping to include a space for a microwave (possibly taking away space away from upper cabinets next to the fridge) and a floor to ceiling pantry somewhere (which the other design we've seen has, I just don't have those plans now).

Proposal #1

In this proposal, I've grayed out the space that our current pantry is in. In that orientation, a door could not open into the kitchen because the stairs to our lower level cut in a bit right there. Ideally, I'd try to recapture this space, by moving the steps a few feet back but realize this might not be possible/need to discuss w/ a contractor. I've tried to show what this could look like in Proposal #2 below.

Proposal #2

We've also kicked around the idea of adding an island if possible. All I've done in Proposal #3 is drop in an island for spacing/workflow input. With this sink-stove-fridge layout, I don't think it works, but I'm just curious if anyone has a better idea.

Proposal #3

So, I guess my questions are:

Should we be suggesting any changes to optimize workflow in the peninsula layouts?

Should we completely rule out an island?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Comments (8)