SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dannirose

Almost bought a flipped house...what a nightmare!

dannirose
5 years ago
I wanted to share my experience. We are helping my daughter purchase her first home. She wants a smallish house (low heating and cooling costs), with low maintenance, and a private backyard with mature trees. After four months, she found a house she liked, and it was a flipped house, advertised as completely renovated and complete. She put in a cash offer for close to the asking price and entered into a contract. The next step was the inspection. What a shock! Here are some of the findings: most of the electrical outlets were unsafe to use because of open neutrals and open grounds, potentially causing shock or death. The sewer system was blocked and a video couldn’t even reach the main line because of blockage. ( it was advertised as having a completely new sewer line). A door from the garage to the outside was an interior door, rather than an exterior door and was not trimmed or sealed properly. The new front window was trimmed outside with interior crown molding and sloped toward the house, rather than proper trim or window sills. Plumbing from a sink was installed to go uphill. There were two toilets, neither were attached properly to the floor. Two handles on kitchen cabinets were missing and several cabinet doors were installed on the wrong side. The plumbing line to the ice maker was installed through the middle of two base cabinets, rendering them unusable. Conduits and GFI’s were missing where needed. In some rooms, insulation was absent and in other rooms, insulation was covering up the air vents. The door between the garage and the house was not fireproof. An open vent between the garage and house was a safety hazard. The fireplace was inoperable as the damper vent was rusted through and the masonry crown to the chimney was leaking severely. When we talked to the city inspector, he informed us that the flippers had to be forced to get a permit and almost had to be taken to court. To top it all off, the sellers real estate agent never listed the house as “pending” even though we had a signed contract, submitted the hand money, and paid for numerous inspections. When confronted with this, she promised to list it as pending, but she never did. This means that the next buyers will never know that someone had the house under contract and then backed out after three weeks. This house was a cute brick house, which has been ruined. ( I am not saying all flippers are like this, just sharing our experience.) thanks for letting me vent, and I hope this helps someone.

Comments (13)