SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilmagil1

pottery barn sunbrella performance chenille fabric?

lilmagil1
5 years ago

hello :) does anyone have any experience with the PB sunbrella performance chenille slipcover fabric? i believe it's fairly new so i don't see any reviews. i want to make sure there is not a pilling problem and that it is durable and easy to clean. i have a sample, it is nubby (harder to keep clean?) and has good heft. i am looking at "salt", which is basically a white, but we tend to sit on our sofa after working out and gardening. plus i have a dog who likes to rub up against the edges. so i'm wondering if i will be making a mistake with this fabric. i am also looking at sunbrella sahara weave in ivory, which is a smidge darker but a much thinner fabric with a lower pile. any advice or experience would be appreciated. thank you!

Comments (99)

• katyblax
    3 years ago

We're also considering the sunbrella chenille -- does anyone have cats (with claws) and have the cats tried to claw the fabric??

• Kara Tolent
    3 years ago

@lawlerni - we are about to place our order for the pearce in the sunbrella chenille in cloud. Would you mind sending photos of your sofa? karahewitttolentino at gmail dot com. Really interested to see how the color looks on a larger piece. Our designer had a larger sample that she put out for us to look at, but the lighting was not the best. These samples are cloud, fog, and sunbrella performance slub tweed in ash, which did not stand up to our stain testing at home at all. Love how soft the chenille is - so cozy and comfortable.

• Related Discussions

Pottery Barn Big Sur Deep sofa and performance fabrics.

Q

Comments (3)
    @Maria @lawlerni Do either of you have the deep version? I find the pillows in the regular are a little too stiff and push me forward to the point I cannot relax back and thought maybe the deep version would help!
    ...See More

Pottery Barn Performance Fabric-- Advice/ Help Please :)

Q

Comments (2)
    II agree, can't go wrong with leather. Just make sure it's not bonded leather. We have PB performance "suede" and love it, probably not for kids tho. I would trust their performance fabrics. I don't know anything about slipcovers. I found this quote on woodstockoutlet.com If durability and luxurious feel is most important to you, consider something made with a premium full grain leather. For the most affordable real leather upholstery on the market, a pigmented or protected split leather may be the answer. However, for the best compromise of durability, style and affordability, you may want to consider a high quality top grain leather.
    ...See More

Pottery Barn fabrics: Premium Performance Basketweave vs Performance

Q

Comments (4)
    We actually saw a new fabric this weekend….performance midland tweed in stone i ordered a yard of it ….its such a big investment that i figured $40 for a larger sample was worth it. It is no as soft as the heathered basket weave but i really like the colors in the tweed.
    ...See More

Any thoughts on Pottery Barn fabric Performance Heathered Basketweave?

Q

Comments (8)
    We were not in a position to wait on the delayed furniture. They had one of the beds ordered in the warehouse and we set up delivery twice but the warehouse never actually delivered the order. They could never explain why our order was never put on the delivery truck despite having delivery scheduled. We finally disputed the charges with our credit card and purchased furniture elsewhere.
    ...See More
  • tamizami
    3 years ago

what kind of stain testing are you doing at home with watches? i never thought to try that but what a great idea!

• lawlerni
    3 years ago

We tested at home also..spilled red wine and chocolate on the swatches and the sunbrella held up the best by far!

• M M
    3 years ago

We tested peanut butter and chocolate on our chenille cloud sunbrella. The peanut butter was so so and chocolate came out no problem. We are a year in with a four year old and a one year old and there hasn’t been anything yet that we haven’t been able to get out!!! I am impressed. I heard the Crypton is not nearly as good.

• Jenny
    3 years ago

I have the PB York deep seat slope arm slipcovered grand sofa in Oatmeal Performance Everdaylinen by Crypton. We've had it for about a year, and it's great! One of my children bled on it (not a lot), and it cleaned up right away with just a wet paper towel. I also used a baby wipe just to make sure, but it came right off. Same goes for chocolate. We haven't had many accidents on it, but everything has cleaned up easily. The slipcover wasn't terribly wrinkled when they delivered it, and any wrinkles have fallen out. I thought I would have to steam it, but I never did. I don't have photos, but mine looks essentially the same as the photos on the Life on Virginia Street blog, except that we opted for 3 seat cushions. https://lifeonvirginiastreet.com/pottery-barn-york-sofa-review/

Now, I'm shopping for a sectional for our bonus room, and I'm considering getting another York sofa (not deep seat this time since it has to fit through a narrow door). I'm interested in the Sunbrella Performance Chenille, which is how I came across this thread. :)

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

Following

• Kelsi Elizabeth
    3 years ago

Following! We are considering the Big Sur Sectional Sunbrella Chenille in Salt and just fabric tested that with the Cloud, Fog and Indigo. The Cloud oddly was the least impressive with the red wine clean up. Salt and other were great! Any one have the salt that they can share pics and experience of? I have dreamt of a white slipcovered sofa my whole life but with a one year old and a dog and a very practical husband that needs to be convinced before pulling the trigger!

• serenar96
    3 years ago

@Jenny this is amazing to me. We have the Pearce in this exact fabric and hate it. It is super dingy and liquids bead up for about 2 seconds before soaking completely in. I also just tried to have it professionally cleaned by Stanley Steemer (recommended by Crypton since my local PB was zero help) and they said the cleaning code was dry clean only. Maybe we got a bad batch or something because this has definitely not been a family friendly material.

• Brooke Kearins
    3 years ago

just read this thread and now worried about the sunbrElla chenille in salt. I have a black lab and worried about hair stick factor and dust! I did red wine test on all whites and seems like the premium performance basket weave in ivory and the performance heatherEd tweed in ivory held won compared to the sunbrella chenille, performance everyday linen and performance slub cotton. Any one else with these fabrics?

• Shaya Fitzgerald
    3 years ago

Can anyone comment on dog hair with the sunbrella chenille performance fabric?

• Brooke Kearins
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

we rubbed the sample square of the sunbrella chenille performance in salt color on my black dog and a ton of hair stuck to it! we decided against it because of this.

• Colleen McKelvey
    3 years ago

I'm between the cloud and fog color chenille fabric. The cloud looks beige online. Is it more of a beige or gray color?

• Brooke Kearins
    3 years ago

Cloud is beige. I’ll take a photo of my samples i got in the mail. Left is salt, middle is cloud, right is fog.

• lawlerni
    3 years ago

We have the Big Sur in cloud sunbrella and the fabric has been amazing. We have a white dog and her hair doesn’t stick to it at all. She’s a moderate shedding dog....we have a velvet sectional in the basement and she sticks to that like crazy. The Big Sur has been a big disappointment however. It’s not even close to being as comfortable as it was in the showroom. The cloud looks much lighter than it does in the sample

• M M
    3 years ago

The cloud is definitely more gray than beige. It’s a nice dove gray that can go either warm or cool depending on what you pair it with. I was pleasantly surprised by the color. I didn’t want beige and I didn’t want gray, so... perfect!

• Anam Shaikh
    3 years ago

So just an update for y’all- we got our shasta grand sofas in November and although they were comfortable- right off the bat something was wrong with how the sofas were made. They seemed defective to us- too lightweight like my 2 year old could lean against it and it would push over. Areas were looking lumpy and the cushions were frumpy. We got the sunbrella cloud fabric which we loved initially but my toddler did a number on it within a month getting vaseline on it —- we cleaned it right away but it still set in. Anyways we ended up returning the couches because of the original issue of how poorly the couches were made

• Rachel Hill
    3 years ago

This is our couch I believe it is the PB Comfort ( the one that has memory foam in the seat cushions) in Chenille Salt. There are some real positives and negatives on this fabric. We have a Bernedoodle and although he doesn’t shed much his fur is like lint and definitely gets stuck tot he bottom of the couch where he lays against it. I complained to PB when I first got this about a year ago and they sent me a special tool and it does a great job, I think they also sell it on the website. Outside of that, we have a just turned two year old. It’s had spilled coffee, blue pen, colored pencils, cheese curls, black candle wick, the only thing that gave me trouble was the blue ink. It came out for the most part but I used a smidge of Dawn and it made the cushions whiter in those spots compared to the other. The couch doesn’t look dirty and I would overall buy this again given how easy it’s been to keep clean with a dog and kid. I always wanted white. I have however found it difficult to find information on exactly how to clean as recommended. I hope this was helpful.

• Maria V
    2 years ago

Has anyone who bought the chenille had any issues with pilling? I know a lot of Sunbrella fabrics have issues with pilling but I wonder if the chenille holds up better. Thank you!

• Stefanie Crichton
    2 years ago

We’ve had it since October and no pilling.

• M M
    2 years ago

Our cushions are the one thing that haven’t held up and they compress down so much after less than two years that we can feel the frame. However, we had read this would happen and given we got a giant sofa for about $3,500 we were okay knowing we would need to replace them early on. We are having a local foam and cushion shop make new inserts for us which we think is an okay compromise given that we like the fabric and frame of the Pearce. But that is the one drawback.

• Maria V
    2 years ago

Thanks MM - so the chenille has held up ok? It seems from what I’m reading that it’s the one sunbrella fabric that may not pill!

• lawlerni
    2 years ago

We had absolutely no pilling with the fabric either and I washed it several times. It held up beautifully.

• M M
    2 years ago

The fabric hasn’t pilled t all and nothing has stained it with two small kids. I’m honestly amazed.

• M M
    2 years ago

(I’m literally sitting here with our 18 month old on my lap, as she eats a handful of chocolate chips!)

• Ashley Allen
    2 years ago

Any info on cleaning the PB sunbrella chenille? we have no spills, but 10 months of moderate use— edges are dirty

• Ashley Allen
    2 years ago

• Olivia Cassesi
    2 years ago

I was interested to know if anyone purchased the SLIPCOVER sectional in the performance chenille? im looking at the bolinna in salt, but also open to greys and beiges etc. i feel like the ability to throw it in the wash may be a total game changer. my number one issue is our wire haired dog. curious if any of you have updates on your existing as well! thank you!!!

• Cheyenne Ryan
    2 years ago

I am also looking for anyone who puchased a slipcover sofa in chenille cloud. I am considering the big sur in that fabric. any photos of the slipcover someone could share? thanks!

• cnunn
    2 years ago

We decided to reupholstery our sofa. So we did not purchase anything from Pottery Barn.

Good luck with your decision.

• kassiefuqua
    2 years ago

I have the York square arm deep sofa with slipcover in chenille salt. Love the couch and slipcover as it’s easy to clean my only issue is I cannot figure out how to get the wrinkles out. I follow the directions with putting the cover back on slightly wet and smoothing out lumps and wrinkles but it still has wrinkles. I’ve done the cool iron which does nothing. Any recommendations? It’s odd to me that I never had an issue with the wrinkles until washing it.

• njmomma
    2 years ago

**** I have never owned a slipcover

I would get it cleaned at the Cleaners, they will press, steam the wrinkles out and fold it nicely, so that maybe you have just a few wrinkles, that may go away with time.

• kassiefuqua
    2 years ago

Per manufacturers directions this fabric cannot be steamed or have use of high temps on it.

• njmomma
    2 years ago

yikes!

• Julie W.
    2 years ago

Just wanted to thank you all for your reviews! It's really helpful reading through the whole thread.

• cnunn
    2 years ago

Could you please tell me what you used to clean your Sunbrella chenille Cloud upholstery?

Thanks

• Cheryl Hussey
    last year

@lkpfriends How is your Salt Chenille holding up? We are considering that for the Pearce sectional and I'm a little nervous going white.

• Cheryl Hussey
    last year

@kerryb0123 Which did you end up going with and how do you like it? We are considering the Chenille Salt and Slub Tweed White as well.

• M M
    last year

Cnunn I have used everything from Huggies baby wipes to a little dish of clear dawn dish soap or Woolite and warm water. Baby wipes work in a pinch but for deeper cleaning the dawn soap is great.

• M M
    last year

Also curious about cleaning for the Chenille Salt and how easily it cleans. I am debating them for our kitchenside hearth room where there is space for a couple of sofas buuuuut dirty toddler hands will inevitably migrate from the table to those couches. Will i regret this?! ;)

• Lila
    last year

Hi I have thePB Comfort sectional in Sunbrella Chenille Fog stains you can wipe them right out absolutley no piling Ive had this sofa for 2 years so far. I am curious of how the sunbrella salt holds up with stains . I love this material so much now that I need a second sofa i want to stay in the sunbrella chenille family.

• Heidi E
    last year

Ashley Allen, did you ever figure out how to clean the grungy edges of your couch? I am replacing some non-slipcovered chairs that are really grungy and I can’t get them clean. Considering the Chenille Salt but hoping the grunge can come out.

• Kristel Quintana
    last year

Heidi, get some spray on oxy-clean, the kind that you pre-treat before the wash. I put it in a different bottle and cut it 50% with water. I spray it on and use an old super soft tooth brush on tough areas and let it sit before rinsing. This hasn't caused any fading or discoloration on my Sahara weave sofa.

• Rebecca Durrant
    8 months ago

Hi all~ curious to hear an update from those of you that bought the Salt chenille fabric now thwt yoube had a couple years. thinking about buying the Big Sur in that fabric.

• Rebecca Durrant
    8 months ago

To those of you that bought sofas in Salt Performance Chenille—how are they holding up? We are about to buy in the Big Sur sofa. Thanks!

• Julie Brower
    8 months ago

I just bought Salt Performance Chenille in Camel-I hope it was the right move and doesn't have a yellow undertone

• Anna C
    7 months ago

How is the fabric holding up? I’m also considering it

• cnunn
    7 months ago

We have Sunbrellla Cloud. The sofa is in the living room where no one sits so it looks great. We are happy with the Sunbrella fabric. It is more expensive, but worth is because of the durability and quality.

• Laurie Newcomer
    6 months ago

We have the Sunbrella Performance Chenille in Cloud on the curved Buchanan sectional. It is 3 years old. Daily use from 2 adults, 3 big fluffy dogs, and 2 cats. Lots of use from visiting family with children and elderly adults. Stains come up with Woolite/water mix. It does get dirty over time. I risked it and took off all the covers and machine washed them with Woolite. I dried on air only. They came out great. I have done this twice. We have a front load LG with a delicate cycle and option for tap water cold. We have well water.