SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josie_reilly20

Please help save my Fiddle-Leaf Fig!

Josie
5 years ago

This January, I bought a beautiful Fiddle-Leaf Fig tree from a local plant nursery. At the time, the plant was generally healthy and had foliage from top to bottom with only a few dry, brown spots on the outer edges of the foliage. The plant was root-bound, but I was advised to wait until the growing season to size up the pot.

The plant maintained its good health for the winter months, with only one or two lower leaves dropping. At the start of spring, the tree began to sprout new leaves. It seemed to be a good time to repot and begin fertilizing, so I bought a pot that was two inches larger in diameter and repotted the tree in a mix of potting soil, perlite, and cactus mix. The plant continued to thrive until one day - several months back now - where the soil appeared to be drenched in water several days after watering day (i.e. normally, I water the tree once a week). At this time, the leaves began spotting in small, dark clusters. My assumption is that someone else in the household had been thoughtful, but accidentally overwatered the plant.

Since then, the plant has gone into decline and is now in bad condition. Most of the leaves have dropped, and the ones that are still on the tree have either the drier brown spots or the darker clusters of spots. In addition, the newer leaves have never gotten that deeper, glossy color that is so distinctive of fiddle-leaf figs.

Can this plant still be saved? Is this a case of under or overwatering? Or light conditions? I would appreciate any advice I can get. Thank you!

Comments (10)