SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alison_madrey

Paver patio with ground cover between in warm climate zone 9

Alison Madrey
5 years ago

I live in zone nine, where freezing temperatures are rare and short lived. I have an area in my backyard where rain runoff flows through, but this area is the best location for extending my patio space. I am aware of the recommendations to excavate forever and put in mounds and mounds of crushed rock and then sand before laying pavers. However, I have a concern about making significant changes to the soil level in this area and how that would affect the drainage of my overall property. I'm worried that excavating can ultimately send water down lower, directing it under our existing concrete patio and even our slab foundation. Are my concerns justified?

Secondly, I wanted to do a paver installation in which the pavers are spaced 4" apart and have a ground cover like dwarf mondo grass between, and using a lot of gravel and sand, it seems to me, would make such ground cover more difficult to sustain, since the soil I'd be adding back in would be quick to dry out.

Can anyone share any wisdom? In this Gulf Coast area, would I be ok with a thinner layer of prep material? Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm