SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roamertje

Please help me find a ground cover solution for our patio!

roamertje
4 years ago

As you can see, the 'patio' of our garden is not in the best shape. As the old sand between the bricks wears away, plants and ants take over the cracks, and it just always looks shabby. We ripped up the bricks in other parts of the garden (sand underneath, then clay-based soil) so we could grow plants, but this area has me stumped.

I'd still like to have a hard surface for chairs and a table, and a path so that we can push the stroller to the gate from our door. We get frequent rain, so as tempting as it is to just rip all the bricks out, I'd like to avoid open dirt and mud. I've tried to research options online but can't come up with any options that would seem to suit our situation. Rubber mulch apparently leaches chemicals into the dirt, sand would attract all the cats in the neighborhood, our kids like throwing gravel, and we're not big fans of grass lawns.

We have enough money for basic ground cover options - some big tiles, a few bags of wood chips, etc. - but not enough to totally pave the area artistically with imported marble, haha.

Interestingly, our city council is trying to raise awareness of changing global weather patterns, specifically the increasingly hard storms and flooding in our area. They've offered to partly subsidize efforts to 'green' gardens, with the slogan 'tiles out, green in'. I love the idea of having a garden that can handle the downpours without flooding into our house, so anything that can let the water run off would be great. Maybe we'd even get some money back. But if nothing else, it would be wonderful to look out the windows every day and see a pretty patio where we can eat and hang out without weeds tickling our feet.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (44)