SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fauguy

Persil Original Scent and Advice?

fauguy
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have been using the Tide Pods Spring Meadow that is sold at BJs for the past few years. I usually will add 1 Pod to most regular loads, but for heavy loads may do 2. Towels once a week I do 3 pods. Even though it is listed as Spring Meadow, the scent is very minimal while it is being washed (GE Profile Top Load 2006 with 2 rinse cycles), and when I take them out of the Washer to put in the Dryer, there is no strong scent. I also use the Downy Free and Gentle fabric softener.

Yesterday I decided to buy a small bottle of Persil Original since it was only $3 after coupon, as I had read good things about it and wanted to try it. I did open it up and smell it in the store, and it did seem a bit strong, and I also opened the Persil Sensitive Skin White that had no smell, but since the Sensitive Skin was a larger bottle I went with the smaller Persil Original.

Last night I did a regular wash of cloths and tried the Persil and out of the 5 dosage lines on the cap, I did the smallest Line 1. As the washer was filing up, I could really smell it, and it was even stronger during the wash cycle (top water level). After it was done washing and 2 rinses, and I used the scent-free fabric softener, the whole room had the scent of the Persil, and so did all the cloths. I put them in the dryer, took them out an hour later and let them cool off. I can still smell the scent some, not strong like it was, but still a bit there. When I use the Tide Pods, after wash & dry there is practically no scent.

Since I am very sensitive to some strong scents (certain perfumes, hair shampoo, body wash, some food) I'm not sure if I could deal with this scent of the Persil Original....not only of the strong scent of it while washing is being done, but the slight scent after drying is completed. Because of this, I'm thinking about returning it back and trying the Persil Sensitive since it is scent free. But if that doesn't work out, then I guess I'll just keep doing the Pods for now.

Comments (50)

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Was this post removed?

• wekick
    5 years ago

I see it and you were able to post on it.

As to the Persil, mine is strong but no or very little scent after going through the dryer. My friend could not stand the smell while washing so she gave me her bottle. if it is too much save it to spot with.

• Related Discussions

Tide with Bleach Powder, Original Scent is awesome

Q

Comments (28)
    I bought the Tide powder with bleach orignal scent, it is not HE. At the beginning of this post, some said that the indregients had a suds, surpressor in it or sompthing like that. I find that one or two of the coffee scooups works in my washer according to load size and soil level. I have a 9 yr old Kenmore He3T. Drum capasity is 3.7 cu ft, and my washers uses 15.8 gallons of water per load. The ride resembles Persil in seem, just a nice clean scent that I have yet to find heavy of my clothes after they are washed and dried. I will continue to use it. BTW all my oily work clothes came out very well. I cant say that they were any cleaner, than if I used gain HE or Tide HE, but I was very satisfied with the results. My work clothes consist of Jeans, and Scrub tops, I got them cheap, and they work out great for work, wash good too, even on sanitary cycle right along with the jeans
    ...See More

Persil ProCaps...do they smell like Persil ProClean?

Q

Comments (29)
    I don't know what I will do if Cheer is discontinued. I have many boxes of original (non-HE, Larsi-scent) Tide powder and probably have a box of the large Cheer. If it's gone I'll probably have to go to an unscented or maybe Miele Color powder. I was actually in the Miele store today because my vacuum just stopped working. They are now selling laundry appliances and detergent, whereas previously they only dealt with the vacuums and floor care. They have both Miele detergents and a variety of Persil. When I go back to pick up my vacuum, I'll probably get some liquid Persil (euro). I've never tried it.
    ...See More

Gain liquid detergent and Gain liquid softener Original Scent

Q

Comments (15)
    I recently bought a bottle of Gain original because it was larger than the same priced Tide. At that time I posted and many said I made a mistake because of the scent. We have started to use it and I find the scent inoffensive and very light when the clothes come out of the dryer. I use about 1/4 to 3/8 inch deep in the measuring cup depending on how many clothes are in our Samsung front loader.
    ...See More

Tide with bleach and tide original scent

Q

Comments (7)
    I can't physically handle P&G scents so I use the f/g versions. However, I had a problem and needed something a little stronger. So I bought a small box of Tide original. It wasn't bad in the washer but when I took the load out of the dryer, it was like I was hit with a ton of bricks. A strong, old almost stale old ladies cheap perfume. I had to rewash the load with copious amounts of baking soda, borax, hours long soak, then a soaking vinegar rinse and finally a cycle with f/g detergent and f/g downy. I have heard that mountain spring smells like the old Tide original, at least it did before they messed with the scents. I think Walmart and Target carry it. Good Luck!
    ...See More
  • fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm not sure what happen, I had posted this topic early today, and then it never showed up, so had to post it 3 more times.

Anyway....

I had to rewash the Persil Original test load with the Pods today, not only to eliminate any of the scent from the fabric, but also from out of the top-load washer.

Keep in mind, my GE Profile washer from 2006 has an agitator and 4 user water levels (small, medium, large, super) which i select Super for the most water, and 2 rinses.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Has anyone tried the Persil Sensitive Unscented White?

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

The Persil sensitive works fine for me. And of course leaves no scent.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I returned the Original and got the Sensitive White and tried it on a load last night. Even though the liquid itself has a bit of a "chemical" smell, it's not strong, and I didn't have any issues with the scent while the load was being washed or once it was done. After drying, there was no scent that I could tell.

So the Sensitive version would work better than the Original, and probably the other Persil versions, since they all have a scent to some degree. The one thing I'm just not sure about is which would clean better, either the Persil Sensitive or the Tide Pods that I've been using for years.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Since everyone has different water conditions and soil levels...your question of Persil vs Tide can only really be answered by you. You already know what to expect from the Tide so now throw some heavy soils at the Persil and see h ow it preformes for you.

Both of these detergents are top of the line and both are workhorses. We will all be interested in your results. Good Luck

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My heaviest load is Towels, that I do late Sunday night.

It usually has 8 large body towels, 4-6 wash cloths, 12-16 hand/kitchen towels. That maxes out the 3.5cuft capacity of my 2006 GE Profile Top Load, and I always use the Super water level since it fills to the top, Hot wash with 2 rinses, and 3 Tide Pods to make sure everything is cleaned well.

So this Sunday I'll use the Persil Sensitive, maybe line 3 or 4 in the cap and see how it goes. BTW, those lines 1-5 are kind of hard to see inside on there, they need to be a different color instead of red.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Most of us don't pay attention to the cap lines. After awhile you figure out your sweet spot with detergent dosing and just eyeball it. Those lines are impossible to see. Manufacturers do it so more is used than needed which leads to more sales.

• Jerrod
    5 years ago

I agree with Mamapink0 in that I ignore the directions and use what is best for my conditions. I have not use the sensitive version, but so far I have used a few bottles of the 2n1 Persil with 10 dimensions of clean. I have a smaller front loader that will wash a Max of 13 pounds and for medium size loads with no visabile soil I use just below line 1 which the cap indicates is 29.5 ml. For larger loads I use in-between 29.5 ml and line 2 which is 48 ml. These dosages seem to get everything clean and after the rinse and dryer there is little Persil scent left in the clothes.

For a top loader with an agitator and deep fill you might need more, but I would experiment starting with line 1 - 29.5 ml, then if the items are not clean move up the dosages. I have the lines marked in the cap with a marker which makes them a little more visible.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

I keep a few dosage cap/cups from Pepto Bismol and the like, which are marked for 2 TBSP (30mL) and some also have a half-mark for 1 TBSP (15mL).

I also have a 1/4-cup / 4 TBSP / 60mL / 2 oz. measuring cup found at WM.

Mainstays Mini Measuring Cup

• Jerrod
    5 years ago

nice cup

• sparky823
    5 years ago

I have the same one.

• twebbz
    5 years ago

I use a little key chain sized LED flash light to help me see the fill lines on caps.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

After using the Persil Sensitive white liquid twice, I haven't had any issues with it. But wish they had the Sensitive in the Pods/Caps, as looking online only shows it over in Europe.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Don't hold your breath. LOL. We already lost the Persil Pearls which still hurts.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yesterday I did the weekly large Towels load and used the Persil Sensitive. After the normal routine of wash with detergent, 2 water rinse, fabric softener rinse, water rinse, and then drying, there was no chemical or fragrance smell left on the towels. The Pods I've been using for years leave a slight scent, but very minor and never bothered me since it's not strong like the Persil Original. As far as cleaning, I'm not really sure if the Persil Sensitive did any better cleaning the bathroom towels than using the 2 Pods like normal.

I still have a lot of Pods left to use, so I may alternate between them and the Persil Sensitive.

• Jerrod
    5 years ago

I think the Persil sensitive leaves out some of the chemicals and enzymes that the original contains so I could understand if it may not perform the same as the original. One thing about Protease is that it works on proteins and that might irritate the skin, so it might be that the detergent lacks that enzyme. I don't know that for sure though.

• Jerrod
    5 years ago

I just checked the website site for the list of ingredients in the 2n1 vs the sensitive and there is one more enzyme in the regular 2n1 than the sensitive. I was wrong about Protease, as it is in the sensitive. Pectinase is the enzyme that is missing in the sensitive detergent. Comparing the ingredients, it seems that other ingredients along with Pectinase are in the regular 2n1, that are not in the sensitive.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jerrod, I hadn't used the Persil 2 in 1, just the Persil Original one, and the scent in the laundry room was overpowering, and also left some scent on the cloths.

That's why I returned it and got the Persil Sensitive to try it. In the store, I did see the 2in1 and also a 2in1 Odor Fighter. The scent of the 2in1 Odor Fighter seemed not as strong (in the store) as the Persil Original, but decided to get the Sensitive to try instead.

The 2in1 Odor Fighter does have a longer list of Fatty Acids. Has anyone tried this one?

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have noticed while using the Persil
    Sensitive White in my 12 year old GE Profile Top Load, that even with a
    full load (such as towels) with two rinses, the items have a "tacky"
    feel to them after the final spin. Then after they go through the dryer,
    they aren't "tacky" but I can still feel sometime on them. I lowered
    the dosage of the Persil to about half of the Line 1 on the cap, but
    didn't help.

So a few weeks ago instead of buying a new bottle, I got a box of
    the All Free and Clear Powder. After using it for the past 2 weeks, I
    have noticed that everything is coming out cleaner than using the
    Persil, and they don't have that "tacky" feeling after the spin cycle. I
    also did some sheets last week with the All powder, and they came out
    much softer than when I used the Persil Sensitive.

Lastly, there is quite a price difference, as the Persil is $12 and the All Powder was $4.

• zenhar24
    5 years ago

@fauguy, that's interesting. my experience with All Free and Clear liquid vs. Persil Sensitive liquid on a top loader is that Persil Sensitive consistently needs less rinses to clear the visible suds on the water surface. .

• littlegreeny
    5 years ago

I found Persil to be sudsy and hard to rinse out. I really like All Plus F&C liquid from Costco as well as All Free powder. They both are very clean rinsing and leave little residue on my laundry. They are also great at doing what they are supposed to do--clean and deodorize my laundry.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

zenhar24, I was talking about the All Free and Clear Powder (not liquid) vs the Persil Sensitive liquid that I've been using for a few months.

Between those, the All Powder rinses out better (no tacky feel) and no left over residue after drying.

• rococogurl
    5 years ago

This is anecdotal but I no longer use liquid detergent for towels. I now only use Grab Green pods and the hottest water. I have a Bosch compact f/l and it rinses very well. I do have an additional rinse option. I had to use an extra rinse to get all the liquid out of the towels. I can't stand powders and I still have some German Persil perls left. Those work better than any detergent ever but they are pretty much gone, unfortunately. I bought a bag of grab green pods at the health food store and really, really like them. They clean very well, no residual strong smells and they whiten surprisingly well. They work with my water. Also have Ecos liquid (way sudsy and not very muscular) and the Persil original scent. It is strong, no question. But it cleans and rinses well in my machine. I was thinking of Ecos for my workout stuff but ehh. The Persil liquid works great on those and deodorizes a bit. May be it's designed for synthetics more than natural fibers as I don't like it at all for towels.

@fauguy - if I had as many towels as you describe I would divide them into 3 loads. I'd wash the bath towels in 2 loads and kitchen towels completely separately. In even the biggest top loader just seems too crowded for great results. Just a thought.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

That *tacky* feel is residue. Maybe add another rinse or use a detergent that's better rinsing for you.

My Duet could handle Persil my Maytag cant. Too much suds in the wash which caused a suds lock. I will save my Persil for heavy soils.

Other side of the coin....ALLF&C powder causes my cottons to feel dry and rough..again residue from the carbonates...but..it's not as sudsy and rinses look clear. So my ALL F&C Powder is used for dog stuff with heavy rinsing.

Tide works best in my Maytag ..Powders and occasional use of liquid.

• georgect
    5 years ago

OMG MamaP...now you know how I feel about Persil and the crazy suds.

It may be your Maytag and my Electrolux has a more aggressive wash action.

Because why would there be no issue with it in the old Whirlpool?

I can't use Persil no matter what.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

George...my Duet used a lot of water...way more than I think was normal. The Maytag is stingy...very stingy. I've had to dump water down the dispenser more than a few times...in fact I wish I had a sink in the laundry room so I could run a hose..Haha.

George..the Persil in the Maytag is soooo sudsy. One Persil cap and the washer hates me.

I have the lowest suds and cleanest rinsing with Tide liquid and powders if they are turbo.

Oxydol with Biz powder leaves the clothes smelling beautiful but omg...one tiny teaspoon and suds lock. This Maytag put a halt to my use of some of my favorite detergents. ALL F&G liquids are also a no-no. But ALL with stainlifters pods are fine..even using 3. Cheer powder is also fine.

Yep George I know how you feel now.

• georgect
    5 years ago

What I don't get is why aren't more people complaining about the suds to Persil. I complained and was offered a coupon for another bottle.

I was like "unless you reformulated the detergent than I can not use it"

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

The only Persil that I have used are the now-gone pearls and yes, they were pretty sudsy even with a top loader and moderately hard water. I don't see how anyone with soft water could use them.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

I don't have suds trouble with Persil except instances of overdosing with very small/light soil loads. And with pillows, which 1) are technically a very small load regards to the amount of fabric involved, and 2) retain air which causes suds when it releases during the wash period.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

George.. you would think since Persil originated in Europe it would be low sudsing. I will contact Persil with a complaint but if they offer me a free B I can't use it course I could give it away but accepting a free Persil would be sendino a message that if it's free I can use it...I cant. I have no suds issues with Persil Pearls but I'm about out of them.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

With my city water, I never got suds when using the Tide Pods (which I've used since when they 1st came out years ago). But did get some suds when using the Persil Sensitive White Liquid. Now with the All Free and Clear Powder, there are some suds if I do a small load (lower water level) with hot water on an aggressive wash, but if I select Medium or Large size with more water there aren't suds.

Does anyone know what the ingredients are for the All Free and Clear Powder?

This is all I could find here

Sodium carbonate

BENZENESULFONIC ACID, C10-16-ALKYL DERIVATIVES

There got to be be more than 2?

It also shows the pH as 11.

• littlegreeny
    5 years ago

The ingredient sheet isn't posted on their website but it's safe to assume the ingredients are the same as the regular powder formula minus the dye and perfume.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Has anyone done any comparison (washing laundry) between the All Free and Clear Powder and the Tide Free and Gentle Powder? I had heard the Tide had a stronger scent and that it can leave some residue causing itching.

• beaglenc
    5 years ago

I can't say anything about All Free Clear Powder, but I do use Tide F/G Powder. I find it has no scent, I add about twothirds of a cup of white vinegar to the first rinse and f/s to the second rinse. Haven't noticed any residue. I have a SQ top load but with my water chemistry I only need about 2 to 3 tablespoons for a load. I always check the slipperiness of the water and add more if needed. I find it cleans better than the liquid.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tonight I got a box of the Tide Free and
    Gentle Powder. It's $13 for 95oz ($0.09 cents per oz), while the All
    was $5 for for 52oz ($0.13 cents per oz). So the Tide is a a bit more
    expensive of 4 cents per oz.

The All Free and Clear Powder that I've been using the past few
    weeks I've noticed a slight "chemical" smell of the dry powder, but
    didn't have any smell after washing/drying. The Tide Free and Gentle
    Powder has no chemical scent to it at all. Also, the All Powder seems to
    be a bit finer, but the Tide is a bit larger grains. I'm not sure if
    maybe the Tide might not dissolve as good since it is not as finely
    grained powder?

I didn't have any issues using the All powder with it not
    cleaning well, so I'll be interested if I can notice any wash difference
    with the Tide.

• littlegreeny
    5 years ago

@fauguy, I'm interested to see if you noticed a difference in both the cleaning and rinsing of the ALL and Tide Free powders. I've been using ALL Free powder along with ALL Plus F&C from Costco and have been very pleased with the results. I have wondered if Tide Free powder is better though and worth the additional cost.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Last night I did one test load with a small load of towels with Hot water (as always), and Medium water level. The included plastic scooper with the Tide has 5 lines, and I used the least amount at line 1. Once it started washing, the first thing I noticed was the Tide powder had the least amount of suds, the All powder was a little bit more, and the Persil liquid had the most. After it did the wash and 2 rinses, I took the towels out, and just like with using the All powder there was no "tacky" felling - like what I got when using the Persil liquid. Then put the towels in the dryer. One hour later, they felt dry and soft, but no noticeable difference in the feel of the towels between the Tide and All powder.

Tonight on the way home, we stopped at a place for dinner, and once back home I noticed a few "spots" on the front of my shirt (probably grease). I waited about an hour just to make sure, spots still there, so I did a small load of clothes washing (shirts, shorts, etc.), with hot water, and used the line 2 on the scooper. After the wash, 2 rinses, and dry, I checked the shirt and the spots were gone. So that shows to me that the Tide Free and Gentle Powder did a good job of removing those spots from the shirt. Now I could of tried the All first just to see, but decided to see how the Tide would do.

So after using the Tide twice, I haven't noticed any problems or issues with it. The only thing I wish would be that the size of Tide's powder was finer, like it is with the All powder.

Now the real test would be washing my bed sheets, as the Tide Pods that I've used for years would make me a bit "itchy" with the sheets. But when using the Persil liquid and All powder, I didn't haven any itchy problem with the sheets. So the next wash of them I'll use the Tide powder.

• littlegreeny
    5 years ago

Thanks for the review fauguy. It sounds like ALL and Tide are pretty similar. Looking forward to hearing more about your experience with Tide powder.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

I use All F &C w/ stainlifters powder and Tide w/ Bleach powder (also Cheer for colors & less expensive detergents like Ariel for lightly soiled loads, dog bedding, blankets, etc. I've never tried the Tide Free and Gentle so can't compare it.

Over several months comparison, IMO, there just is not much difference in performance between All and Tide w/ Bleach. Tide may be a little better but not appreciably better.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Difference between TWB and ALL free powder..right off the top of my head is TWB contains a fair amount of oxygen bleach and a activator.

I used ALL F&C Powder a few years back exclusively on my asthmatic kids laundry and while it did a fair job cleaning.. Chips white sheets started to get the dingy do to lack of oxygen bleach. That's easily remedied by adding some pure Sodium Percarbonate along with the ALL free powder to whites only. Honestly with the price difference between TWB &ALL free powder as long as your having good results with ALL I'd stick to it and order some sodium percarb.

I'm currently using Tide F&G powder on things I need unscented simply because my little cow town does not offer ALL free powder.

Lantro. You have a good line up of detergents.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

After using the All Free & Clear for 1 month, followed by the Tide Free & Gentle for a month, I have noticed some difference.

For cleaning, the Tide powder seems to do a better job of removing stains on clothes. If were out to dinner and end up with a few spots on shirt or pants, they come out when using the Tide better than using the All.

The one thing I like more about the All is that it's a finer powder...like fine sugar, but the Tide is a bit larger powder, if that makes sense. So I think the All may dissolve better in the wash, though I personally haven't had any issues with the Tide power not dissolving since I only wash in Hot.

Both the Tide and All powder rinse out good and doesn't leave any "tacky" feel to clothes, like what happened when using the Persil Sensitive.

One thing I'm not sure about is if I should also get the 20 Mule BORAX from Walmart to add with the Tide powder...or to add it just to a rinse? I am on city water, but the last time I did a water test a year ago it shows about 6 grains of hardness, which isn't too bad.

• SEA SEA
    5 years ago

I add half a cup of Borax to my full fill top loader, (use less with a front loading washer) to my pre-wash cycle with detergent, then let it soak for a while; usually 30 minutes. Then I proceed to a regular main wash with detergent of my choice after draining the pre-wash muck out.

I used to put Borax into my main wash cycle with detergent and had good results, but since I now put Borax into the pre-wash cycle, I have even better results (with odor/funk removal).

I would not put Borax into the rinse cycle.

I have fairly soft water conditions, but I do struggle with excess iron content if that matters--not sure how the two go hand in hand, but there you go. Hope that helps.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sea Sea, so you are basically doing two washes: a pre-wash with Borax & Detergent, followed by a main wash with detergent?

Most top loaders don't have a pre-wash cycle. My GE Profile top load from 2006 has a main wash followed by two rinses. Naturally, I could manually run one wash as a pre-wash, followed by a new wash cycle.

My real question is that I'm not sure if using something like Borax would make a difference or what it would do when adding it to the Tide Free & Gentle powder.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

May be that the reason I don't see much difference between All & Tide/ Bleach is because I always pre-treat stains. And stop the washer after it fills and swishes a few times so the load can soak--30 minutes to 6 hours. Sometimes overnight if I forget or am too lazy to go back down to the basement. Grubbier the load, the longer the soak.

The SQ does have a pre-soak cycle but I very, very seldom use it.

• SEA SEA
    5 years ago

Yes fauguy. My family's laundry is grubby (smelly--trying to be nice here). I was reluctant to follow the advise here to do a pre-wash, then a main wash cycle for grubby/funky laundry. Rocogurl had recommended that when I was new here and I was reluctant. I'm in CA and well, you know, water--I was trying to avoid a pre-wash in a full fill top loader. Anyhow, I finally gave in, and it's what works for us. Thanks again everyone. I shall take the knocks on the water bill. Borax was also recommended here (I struggled immensely with man funk in DH's laundry), and Borax, thank goodness works very well for this problem for us. Using it in the pre-wash cycle and soak was the winning formula for us.

The longer I soak, the more erased the funk gets. But minimum of 30 mins or else it's not worth the trouble for our needs.

We are all different, as are our water conditions and washing machines. We have to find what works best for us. Between the collaborative brain trust here on the laundry room forum and my own experimentations, I'm in a much better place today with the left over odors (and I never what to go back).

As for your question of what Borax would do you; It will boost your detergent's power.--help it work better by softening (for lack of a better word) the water. It also is a mild antimicrobial and for some us, it's stuff like that which is causing left over odors. It helps to cut grease and let it be washed away instead of sticking around causing you smell problems later on. If you struggle with funky, but otherwise clean laundry, it should help. It supposedly helps with removing stubborn stains, but I can't really vouch for that myself as with my powder detergents and Costco's liquid F&C ALL detergent, I don't really have problems with stains, but others here have to pre-treat or be left with some stains. You may not need Borax if your laundry is funk/odor free after a wash and your work out clothes remain fresh upon new perspiration coming into contact with them. If you have those problems, Borax might help. I hope that helps.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok. I'm almost out of the Tide Free and Gentle box, so when I go back to Walmart for a new box, I may get the Borax as well and give that a try. I don't have super smelly/sweaty clothes, and haven't had a problem with leftover smells when using the All Free Powder or the Tide Powder.

• SEA SEA
    5 years ago

Well then, IMO fauguy, you probably don't need Borax. I believe we should use the least amount of product and additives that we can get away with. I use Borax only because I can't always get to a complete and long lasting no funk status on certain family member's laundry without it. I don't use it on my own laundry as it's not needed. I was taking a new to me supplement for a while for a health issue that made me smell weird. I couldn't get the faint remnants of that odor out of my clothes even with Borax. Anyhow, I've since stopped taking that supplement since it didn't aid my health issue and I'm ok without adding Borax to my own laundry once again.