SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

September 2018, Week 4

This is the last full week of September and also the first full week of autumn. It starts out cool and moist so might be a really nice week.

We still have a good chance of rain here for another few days. Do y'all?

After the chance of rain fades, the temperatures go up again, but it won't be as warm as it was last week, which is such a good thing.

I always find the end of September to be a pretty slow time in the garden. Of course, harvesting of summer produce is ongoing, and herbs can be cut and dried now---especially if you catch them before they start going to seed. It also is a good time to collect seeds if you like doing that. I long ago stopped going to the trouble to collect seeds---I just leave spent flowers on the plants and let the seeds fall where they may. When volunteers sprout in Spring, I just move them where I want them, or thin them out as weeds if there's lots more than we want or need. If you do collect seeds, be sure to air dry them well so that they will not mold or mildew in storage.

If you want to sow wildflower seeds for flowers that bloom from late winter through summer, now is the time to do that. You'll get the best results sowing them into prepared beds, but I've had relatively good luck renewing the wildflowers in our front pasture by cutting the grass down really short and then overseeding the pasture with wildflower seeds. I often do this after a bad summer drought if the drought killed a lot of the wildflowers before they lived long enough to self-sow seeds. You get better results if not overseeding, but I'm never going to do the traditonal groundwork in that whole pasture to sow seeds into relatively prepared soil versus overseeding into existing plants.

It is not too late to add a few purchased plants for autumn color---chrysanthemums, perhaps copper plants or Joseph's Coats, or petunias now that the weather has cooled, or even Mexican bush sage, a big thing down here but only marginally winter hardy in 7b, if you find it in bloom. At my end of the state it still is a little too warm, notwithstanding the cool weekend weather, to plant pansies, snapdragons, stock, or dianthus and other cool season annuals. When I plant them, I usually plant in October, or even in November if the weather stays warm. Some of the cool-season annuals will last pretty much all winter here, as will ornamental cabbage and kale, but sometimes they freeze. It just depends on how cold the winter weather gets in any given year. I have six medium sized containers near the back door with periwinkles in them, and periwinkle season is coming to end so either tomorrow or next weekend I may replace them with something more suitable for autumn.

You still can sow seeds of winter greens now, although the further north you are, the more quickly this window of opportunity will slam shut. Down here, we usually can sow seeds of most winter greens even in late October or November, and most people here at this end of the state prefer to wait until November to sow spinach seed if the heat keeps hanging on because our soil often stays so hot that the seed germination is poor unless you specifically wait for the soil to drop to the right temperature.

It feels so nice now that it is easy to forget that just 4 or 5 days ago we had temperatures in the upper 80s and 90s and heat index values in the upper 90s and low 100s. I wish it could stay this cool without warming up again, but it won't.

If army worms hit your bermuda grass, remember that they only eat the blades, and not the stolons or roots, so their damage is temporary. You lawn will look brown, but generally new blades start showing green in a week or two---not long after the army of caterpillars is moving on. If you happen to catch the army worms on their first day on your lawn, you probably can spray Bt kurstaki and stop them in their tracks, if you can find it. It is sold out in most stores south of the Red River. I'm thinking if everyone in north-central Texas just would have waited, the heavy rainfall yesterday/today would have washed away the army worms and the same is probably true of everyone in southern OK as well.

One more thing---if you want to sow seeds for a wildlife feeding plot (I'm thinking of doing this for the deer, although they mostly ignored the last one I planted a few years back), start a new fescue lawn or overseed an existing one to fill in bare patches, or overseed your current bermuda grass lawn with annual or perennial rye (both annuals here, but one is faster growing and needs mowed more often)....now is a great time to do that. I'm toying with the idea of overseeding the pasture around the front garden heavily with rye grass seed in the hope that a nice, vigorous stand of winter rye grass would keep the pasture plants, especially the grassy ones, from getting off to a quick start in Spring. If you want to slow down an area of aggressive bermuda grass, overseeding it with rye and letting the rye get tall in Spring works really well. The rye will out-compete the bermuda grass, partially by shading it in Spring, and this generally means the bermuda grass is slow to green up and grow. This is one of the things I love about overseeding with rye since I hate the aggressiveness of bermuda.

With a soggy lake of a yard, I suppose there will be almost no gardening even possible for me this week, so I think I am going to start on the long-postponed chore of painting Tim's office. I've wanted to do it forever because this room's earth tones no longer go with the rest of the house's interior, which is painted gray. I've just put it off for ages because his computer desk, hutch and printer table (with huge, deep drawers) are so jam-packed with everything that it will take me at least a whole day to move everything away from the walls and cover it with drop cloths just so I can paint. He has a huge amount of junk piled up on his desk and in every drawer, shelf, nook and cranny. I kind of hate that room---it needs a bit of love, home improvement and decluttering.

Usually in the hot weather, drought and snake misery of late summer and early autumn I focus on a larger redecorating or remodeling project, and I guess the two upstairs bedrooms were that this year, but they were finished pretty quickly and it is too early to work on holiday stuff. So, the last non-gray room in the house is about to turn gray.

I could start sorting through seed packets and making grow lists for next year and ordering any seeds needed, but there's still a long autumn and winter ahead for that sort of garden planning and prep work.

I should be canning peppers now and fruit jelly like Apple Pie Jam, but since I gave myself a year off from canning, that's not going to happen. Do y'all think I missed canning enough to resume it in 2019? The answer is both yes and no, but I don't have to decide any of that sort of thing now.

I hope everyone has a lovely first week of autumn.

What's new with y'all, your yards, your gardens and your lives?

Dawn

Comments (55)