SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thornworn

Black spot has been so bad this year that I............

Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I never had such a bad year for black spot as this one just winding down. I usually spray regularly with the heavy artillery every year since I grow only fragrant roses, most of which, as we know, are bad black spotters. I let up spraying in late July for about 4 weeks......that couldn't have been a stupider thing to do. Defoliation and subsequent weak growth was the consequence as far as the eye can see.

Weekly sprayings are back in force now, but the garden looks like it has been neglected, which it has. I would love to list my excuses for my lapse, but that doesn't change anything.

What's worse is the roses will be going into winter in a weakened condition. Winter damage should be heavy even if it is an easy winter. I can just see a host of black canes shaming me still next spring. Then there will be the inevitably vengeful, retribution bent bushes who will gleefully continue to shame me well into 2019, the casualties of my neglect, the ones that survived, trying hard not to thrive, just to spite me, and teach me a lesson.

I have often considered scraping the roses and growing a mixed hydrangea/spirea bed. NO BLACK SPOT, NO ROSE MIDGE , NO WINTERIZING, NO OUTRAGEOUS WATER BILLS, just a richly lush foliaged, heavy and long flowering bed.....easy on the psyche, back, and wallet!

But I love roses, so back in the saddle it is for me. I can tell you though, the miniature and miniflora roses, all 16 of them, are history! No longer will I kowtow to these black spot monsters.

Moses

Comments (48)