SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

Is this question too personl, if so scroll on by

Lyban zone 4
5 years ago

I am wondering if anyone on here uses medicinal cannabis. I have been prescribed a small amount by my rheumatologist but so far have not ordered it.

things might be a bit different in Canada, we are allowed to order with a doctors prescription and I believe some states are also allowed to do this.

here the cost is quite high to me anyways and it is not covered by any insurance.

it can be used as a medical expense on taxes though.

but in about one month all pot will be legal in Canada and I am not sure if I can get the same type in these legal stores at a better price. Will not know that till oct. 17th. So I think I will wait till then and then see. Another problem for me is that I leave Canada for Florida for 3 months in winter and cannot bring it. Even though medicinal marijuana is ok in Florida, it must come from a Florida doctor.

i have been prescribed both a topical lotion and a oil.

so what I am asking is are you using it and what is your experience with pain relief.

thanks

Comments (39)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

I would not worry about taking it to FL if i were you. For goodness sakes I am sure the police there have better things to do!

I know nothing about it, hope it works for you.

Lyban zone 4 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • graywings123
    5 years ago

Can't answer your question, but cannabis, including medical marijuana, is illegal under US federal law. You could be arrested coming across the border with it.

• Related Discussions

Adjust Scrolling Speed .. How?

Q

Comments (3)
    bbbluz That worked for the up and down speed!! (Firefox) owbist I just turn the wheel back and forth or some would say up and down to scroll. I don't know about the jumping lines stuff because when I scroll it is just as smooth as .. Well, you know. 8) Saying that, even after changing the scroll speed in Firefox .. it is nothing like using Opera. (Kind of a 'lumbering' type of scrolling .. Too much like work! lol) Opera is so 'smooth' with no jumping and the control is just as "sweet" as you could ever want. I'm beginning to think that this feature is within Opera itself .. Just like the magnifying feature. I don't care what add-on or extension you use in Firefox or IE for magnification .. Nothing comes close to Opera for that feature! Thanks Everyone. JM
    ...See More

Scrolling question

Q

Comments (4)
    If you have a mouse with a clickable wheel you might be able to use that to go up or down a page. You can try by opening a page, press your mouse wheel down and a 2 headed arrow should appear. (Mine gives an audible click when I do this) Now you control the up or down scroll by moving the mouse up or down. Using this method you can set your screen to scroll up at the speed you read so you are able to sit back and just read. The more you move the mouse up or down the faster it scrolls. To stop scrolling click the left mouse button.
    ...See More

need to replace A/C in Dallas, maybe furnace, other questions too

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi, just had a complete system installed yesterday. I live in dallas where cooling means more than heating. cost 7k even for everything. here is a list of what was installed. Trane XR13 4 ton AC condenser. Trane XR80 5 ton 1 stage with 4 speed blower. New matching evaporator coil with the new R-410A refrigerant. New return and supply plenums, all sheet metal construction with exterior wrapped insulation. New manual air dampers at each supply duct. Added an extra return air duct, grill and filter in double existing volume of return. New drip pan with overflow float switch (cut off system if drainage get blocked - keeps ceiling from getting water damage). New electrical disconnect and wiring (located outside by the condenser). New concrete pad. New programmable thermostat. Did all the work required to rid and clean system of old coolant, hauled away old system and did a relatively good job cleaning up. This new system is so much cooler and better airflow than the old one and should be more efficient. I really wanted the sheet metal plenums with EXTERIOR insulation and the manual dampers. This should really pay off in the long run for comfort and health. Next time I should just have to replace the AC condenser. Furnace later. All in all I think I got a good deal and I'm pretty sure the work is A+. I paid a little extra for the plenums, dampers and for Trane products.
    ...See More

If nudity bothers you, scroll on by.

Q

Comments (30)
    My un-PC view is that this crowd and people of their ilk are losers. I don't know why anyone pays attention to them. If the females I encountered back during my formative years had resembled this family, joining the priesthood wouldn't have seemed such an extreme choice. They are SOOO uninteresting and unattractive to me in appearance and in all other respects. To describe having an interest in having plastic surgery with acting like a deity, I think, is a bit extreme. The ones who overdo it or have poor results are so obvious. And numerous. You'd think that the sight of so many that turn out looking like freaks would convey a message to others. Most show business people aren't smart enough to catch on.
    ...See More
  • Oakley
    5 years ago

This is where I get confused. I thought medicinal marijuana meant you can smoke it. It became legal here a few months ago.

When DS2 was driving back from CO. this summer from vacation, he was immediately pulled over by the cops asking if he brought pot back.

My SIL is trying to get a prescription for her R. arthritis also but sounds like a lot of red tape is involved.

Lyban zone 4 thanked Oakley
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

I'm in Canada too, Lyban, and while I don't have any personal experience, I've read/heard some news reports that while it will be legal after the middle of next month, US customs and border patrol officials can still ask Canadians wanting to enter the US if they've ever used it and can deny entry to those who say yes,

https://globalnews.ca/news/4461315/will-your-cannabis-credit-card-purchases-be-visible-to-u-s-border-officials-some-might-some-wont/

The article also includes information that the US can access non-Americans' credit card statements to see if one's card has been used to purchase marijuana.

I wish you all the best in dealing with your pain.

Lyban zone 4 thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • bpath
    5 years ago

Hmm, I was going to say just transfer the oil and the lotion to real cosmetics bottles, but if they are checking credit cards (really??? For anyone, and without cause? Don't they need a warrant?) then they might check the bottle contents.

I have two friends with Rx from their doctors for severe arthritis pain, but neither of their insurances will cover it and they can't afford it. Hoping that will change soon.

Lyban zone 4 thanked bpath
  • just_terrilynn
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I think if traveling to Florida you just need a doctors note/prescription? You could also find one of the many doctors down here to prescribe it for you.

There was a thread on this a while back. I was interested because I have two types of arthritis, fibromyalgia and sciatica and a few other annoyances. I have some pain on most days. I usually do not get along with prescription drugs so just do over the counter pain relief. It seems on that other thread that medical cannabis worked for a few but for the majority it only brought minimal relief. So, I haven't tried it yet. Doing daily exercise helps. For me mornings are the problem. Does one feel high from it? I already bang into walls when I get up.

Lyban zone 4 thanked just_terrilynn
  • Sammy
    5 years ago

Haven’t any of you ever seen drug-sniffing dogs at an airport or border crossing? REALLY bad idea to try to smuggle ANYTHING into the United States, let alone drugs. Do everything by the book; it’s just not worth the consequences if you get caught. I know what it’s like to be on the pain medication merry-go-round so I do hope you’re able to find a (legal) solution. :)

Lyban zone 4 thanked Sammy
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

it’s just not worth the consequences if you get caught

The consequences of bringing in lotion with cannabis in it? They might throw it out, worst case. Let's be real.

5 years ago

One of the possible consequences for Canadians is being barred permanently from entry to the US, which can certainly be a concern if it's a destination you hope to continue to travel to.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cannabis/article-canadian-banned-from-us-for-marijuana-investments-seeks-waiver-to/

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/how-will-marijuana-legalization-change-the-u-s-border-for-canadians/

• just_terrilynn
    5 years ago

I think the key word here is "medical" (as pertaining to the op question) not investments or recreational.

Saying that though, I don't know the rules. I mean, if you don't have a prescription for your heart meds I guess it's possible those could be confiscated as well. But do they?

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

Those border agents have been empowdered to a ridiculous extent. Land on a wrong one and you could find yourself in a world of hurt. On the federal level marijuana is verboten and this administration is making a big deal of It.

Lyban zone 4 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

From this article,

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/henry-chang/marijuana-legalization-canada-us-border-travel_a_23427979/

"use of controlled substances for medical purposes is not considered substance abuse.

Of course, for the above grounds to apply, a United States Customs and Border Protection (USCBP) officer will need to refer the individual to an approved Panel Physician, who will make a medical determination regarding these factors."

I agree with Zalco. I leave it to Lyban and any other Canadians to decide how comfortable they are with a USCBP officer making this referral, and then the "approved Panel Physician" making the medical determination.

5 years ago

Lyban, what is the financial cost in Florida? Is it reasonably affordable for you?

• graywings123
    5 years ago

This is a test because my first two disappeared

Lyban zone 4 thanked graywings123
  • graywings123
    5 years ago

OK, will try again excluding words that may be setting things off. US federal law prohibits the importation of this stuff. Period.

Lyban zone 4 thanked graywings123
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

Smoking helps. With lots of medical issues.

( I smoke rarely though-I should change it as it really helps..and is better and more beneficial than all these awful pills.)

CBD oil (recommended by my doctor) did nothing for me-or stopped doing anything within couple days. Had to increase dosage almost immediately, you go through this tiny expensive bottle much faster than you hoped, and it's like nothing happens.

No insurance covered it. Then I didn't have official prescription as it's legal in CA but my doctor works in a federal hospital. Something to do with that. She can recommend it only when I raise the topic. I was shy to raise the topic for years. She was really happy when I found it within myself to ask her first. lol.

I guess it's all very personal though. The experience with symptoms relieving. You might find it very helpful.

I'd think CBD oil and lotion would be looked upon differently. I wouldn't take pot itself through the airport. wouldn't risk it. I'd check it really well, in any case.

I hope your experience with CBD oil will be much better than mine was.

Lyban zone 4 thanked aprilneverends
  • cawaps
    5 years ago

US federal law regulates all things that cross state lines, so you can't cross state border with it either, and I think that applies even if you are crossing a border between two states where it is legal (though the feds aren't likely to be checking people at the state border).

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A little more info. My doctor did tell me not to even consider bringing my medicinal pot to USA.

i looked up the Florida laws and from what I am reading you must see a doctor in Florida for at least 3 months before he or she can prescribe you this.

as you all know Canada is not president Trumps favorite country right now, soI would not chance taking it through customs.

really interested if anyone oh here has tried it and what kind of relief did you get.

i cannot find the prices for Florida med. pot.

• neetsiepie
    5 years ago

Is it actual pot-with THC or just cannabodoil? CBD does not contain THC so can be carried across state lines (I'm not sure about internationally). Any CBD with THC in it cannot cross state lines. I've used CBD oils and edibles and creams, no THC and gotten pretty good pain relief. However I recently bought some CBD heavy pot-it's like 18% CBD and 5% THC and it was just $5/gram-but I'm in Oregon and it's completely legal here without a prescription. I use it at night to help me sleep free from pain.

When my state went totally legal with pot you could buy OTC but had to pay a tax on it, and medical was untaxed, so it was cheaper. I still don't know what the cost is for medical, since it's all legal now, but $5/gram doesn't seem too expensive to me. A gram lasts me a week.

How long will you be in Florida? Is there an alternative pain relief you can use?

• beaglesdoitbetter
    5 years ago

I was going to ask the same thing. CBD isn't a big deal. My DH sells CBD creams and roll-on gels in his office and didn't need to do anything special to do so. It's popped up a lot around here, there was even a candle store randomly selling CBD. We also get CBD dog treats for our dogs.

Lyban zone 4 thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • jlsch
    5 years ago

My brother in law has MS and his state became legal for medical marijuana in the not too distant past. He was taken aback at how much it helped. He went to one of the dispensaries where they would recommend specific types based on his needs. It has helped him with both pain and sleeping through the night. I would not hesitate if it was helpful.

Lyban zone 4 thanked jlsch
  • Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is the one I have been prescribed. It is the lowest of four oils they sell. my doctor told me to start with 0.5 ml. And go up to 1 ml. If I need it.

so as you can see it it not very strong but a start. I now take Celebrex but have been on it for about 10 years and heard you should not be on that long, so that is why we are looking at other options. I will see if this photo works

• Oakley
    5 years ago

I'm glad your doctor told you not to take it on your trip. As was said above, federal law supercedes state laws. Us girls would have to come down and get you out of the pokey!

Here's a suggestion that might work. Ask your rheumatologist if he can call a pharmacy in Florida in the town where you'll be staying. There's a possibility your script can be transferred.

Lyban zone 4 thanked Oakley
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

If it helps any, there are a number of Canadian pharmacies on the west coast of FL, so perhaps your doctor could phone your prescription down here for you.

I don't think you have anything at all to worry about once you're here.

Lyban zone 4 thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • User
    5 years ago

The border situation is an absolute mess. I live just south of the Canadian border in WA. The cross times are out of control. This whole deal of permanently banning Canadians from the US if they have done business with the Cannabis industry is simply insane.

Yes, your doctor is correct. You can get relief from symptoms with marijuana. I dont use it but my spouse does. It works for many ailments. More and more proper studies should be coming out.

Lyban zone 4 thanked User
  • Saypoint zone 6 CT
    5 years ago

I suffer from severe chronic migraine. Currently about 15-18 headache days per month. I haven’t used it in years, but at one point I was using it, obtained from a stoner nephew to relieve severe nausea associated with migraine. It was the only thing that helped. I haven’t been having the nausea as much, so no longer use it, but have considered talking to my Dr. about trying it again now that medical is legal here since 2012.

Lyban zone 4 thanked Saypoint zone 6 CT
  • just_terrilynn
    5 years ago

Jn3344, I don't understand this ban. I know Trump has already gone against Jeff Sessions and his hate of cannabis so do you think it might have something to do with sending a message to Canadian grower Canopy Growth Corp and corps like them? Sort of a "we don't want your sort here because we want our own weed empire money in U.S growers (eventually) " If you read up on Canopy Growth Corp they have world wide plans. I'm asking because I really don't understand it. I do know that everything boils down to money in the end. See my post above with links.

Info about Canadian growers...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-constellation-canopy-marijuana-20180815-story.html%3foutputType=amp

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

Suit yourself of course, but I stand by what I say. The product you show won't get anybody high and is legal in FL. If someone wanted to be difficult they might take it, but it makes no sense to suggest you'd be barred.

FWIW, from Forbes:

Meanwhile, the Drug Enforcement Administration maintains that CBD is definitely still illegal. Last November, a spokesperson for the agency explained to WTHR that those who violate federal drug laws still run the "risk of arrest and prosecution." But he also said that the DEA is not going after individuals who have benefited from CBD oil.

"It would not be an appropriate use of federal resources to go after a mother because her child has epileptic seizures and has found something that can help and has helped. Are they breaking the law? Yes, they are. Are we going to break her door down? Absolutely not. And I don't think she'll be charged by any U.S. Attorney," DEA spokesperson Rusty Payne told the Indiana news station.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I just checked on the Canadian government travel page and this is what they say so I am not going to take a chance.

Travellers to the United States

Although the possession of cannabis is legal in some U.S. states, it remains illegal under U.S. federal laws in any form and quantity, making it illegal to bring across the Canada-U.S. border.

Previous use of cannabis, or any substance prohibited by U.S. federal laws, could mean that you are denied entry to the U.S. Involvement in the legal cannabis industry in Canada could also result in your being denied entry.

Even after cannabis is legalized in Canada, do not attempt to cross the Canada-U.S. border with any amount of cannabis in any form, even if you are travelling to a U.S. state that has legalized possession of cannabis. If you do so you can expect legal prosecution and fines, and possibly jail time.

——————————————————————————————————

so I think I will just use my Celebrex while in Florida and wait till oct 17 to check out some more prices here when all marijuana will be legal. I think I will be able to find better prices at that time.

thank you to all for your advice and ideas. It is interesting to see how some found relief and others didn’t.

• lascatx
    5 years ago

Since it is a short time, you may be less stressed by waiting than risking it. Pot is still illegal in Texas, though the CBD oil has been approved by prescription for certain illnesses or conditions (epilepsy being one). I think topical CBD is okay OTC. My only experience with any of it is a hemp chew that has CBD but no THC for my dog and her arthritis. I can tell you it helped her -- so much that DH saw hemp hearts at Costco and bought some. He put a spoonful or two on his cereal or yogurt in the morning and thought it helped. That might be something else you can consider -- but isn't it a shame that no one can tell you what to expect at our border? I understand the search for something new -- I relied on Vioxx and it was taken off the market. I was switched to Celebrex and then developed a sulpha allergy -- and Celebrex is related and was giving me a rash and itching too. I just didn't realize the cause until a pharmacy refill alert came up. I rencently learned that after age 65, all these things are red flagged -- my muscle relaxer too, and Medicare won't pay for them. Maybe cannabis will be legal here by then. SMH

Something you might want to try if you can get it -- Penetrex is an anti-inflammatory cream I found on Amazon. No heavy scent, no greasiness, no staining. I used it on my neck and shoulders this morning. Feels good as you massage it in and just takes the edge off for me. I can use it when I am getting knotted up and don't want to walk around smelling like Icy-Hot, etc. I don't know if it will help rheumatism, but it might be worth a try.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

Well, maybe you can get it from Beagles DH in FL, if it works? : )

Look at us, we are a GW drug ring!

• dragonflywings42
    5 years ago

I know someone very well who finds medicinal cannabis very effective for pain. He used to take very high doses of pain meds back when doctors were persuaded by big pharma that it was just fine to do so(!). He finally weaned off those and was using weed from "friends" and it helped with his chronic and intractable pain (back, neck, shoulders). Now he has a card with a dispensary and he is able to choose specific types instead of taking whatever is available. The techs at the dispensary are very knowledgeable. He does not get much relief from pain with CDB, but it does help him with anxiety.

Lyban zone 4 thanked dragonflywings42
  • Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The way my doctor explained it to me. The oils come either with higher doses. of THC or CBD. If you have nerve pain they prescribe the oil with high THC. If inflammatory problems like me you take the oil with higher CBD.

i will certainly come back after oct 17 and report what I decided on and if it works.

• tinam61
    5 years ago

My mother had terminal cancer and took medicinal marijuana. It was a pill (not a "joint" that you smoke). It was prescription. She hated how it made her feel and it really didn't help her much.

Lyban zone 4 thanked tinam61
  • gsciencechick
    5 years ago

Interesting discussion. We will not travel with "gummies" over state lines or air travel when in a legal jurisdiction. Last year in Denver, even though we have Pre-check, DH's bag was randomly targeted for extra screening and search. Would have certainly been an issue had they found anything. We threw everything out in a trashcan in the hotel general area (not in our room) before we left. Hate to waste the money because they are not cheap, but we know Jeff Sessions is attorney general. And with DH being an attorney and me in education, we cannot risk a federal charge to our careers. Would rather err on the side of caution.

Lyban zone 4 thanked gsciencechick
  • l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

My DH tried CBD oil capsules for his arthritic joint pain. They were pricey and after an initial flush where he thought they were doing some good, which was probably due to the placebo effect, he didn't get any relief from them so has discontinued buying it. As for smoking marijuana, he swears by that for pain, but it is risky even though medical use is legal in our state, since they drug-test in his field. He does not use it at work, but it will still show up if he has to get drug tested.

Lyban zone 4 thanked l pinkmountain
  • neetsiepie
    5 years ago

My DSIL had an abdominal carcinoma and had it successfully treated (he's been in remission for about 7 years now) and his oncologist told him to start smoking marijuana to get his appetite up because he was always too nauseous to eat. He got a medical card and was able to use it, and he still uses it to keep weight on. He works in a Federally funded position but he's been told by his supervisors that they won't drug test him. He's very, very fortunate in that he works for a very compassionate agency.

I've found that the CBD oil causes me gastic effects, so I bought some tincture-which is really, really nasty tasting. I mix it in a shot glass size of water and chase it down with a cup of water to rinse the taste, and that helps me a bit better than the oil. And as I mentioned., smoking helps me to sleep.

I did learn that there is a difference in the strain of THC, apparently the sativa strain is one that gives the greater ephoric 'high' feeling, and indica strain is more relaxing. So the guy at the dispensary sold me an indica strain with high cbd. It was kind of mind blowing going in to a pot store-the smell is kind of overwhelming-but the staff were very, very knowledgeable and followed very strictly to the rules-always checking my id, even though I'm obviously well over 21!

When I bought the pot to smoke I had to get a pipe and it was only $3! The gram of smoke was $3. You could have knocked me over with a feather-I was completely expecting to spend over $60, figuring a pipe would be a minimum of $20. CBD oil is much more expensive, I guess it's due to the manufacturing process. But I really, really wish that the Feds would deregulate it and let States run it on their own. I know of so many people who use it now for pain relief, and even a lot who use it instead of drinking a cocktail. And no, crime HAS NOT risen in our State as a result.

Lyban zone 4 thanked neetsiepie
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH