SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
always1stepbehind

Bad haircut....ugh!!

always1stepbehind
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Been going to the same girl for a couple years now...Last time she cut my hair (layers in the back) she left me with a weird layer across the top...I addressed it with her at last weeks appt. she mentions bringing the layer up and I say I don't want layers up that high etc...I have thick wavy hair and if you layer it straight across it stacks leaving a ledge...

well she left me with another straight layer on top...not as wide but it's the same issue. Last time I lived with and was irritated by it every morning because I could see. do I go back and have her fix it or try to fix it...I'm nervous because I know it will involve more cutting...possibly making it worse.

I'm annoyed, exactly what I verbalized what I didnt want is exactly what ended up happening...

Comments (42)

• terilyn
    5 years ago

I think I would go someplace else and have a consultation, see what they would try to do to fix it.

• kris_zone6
    5 years ago

I would go back immediately and if not satisfied, find a new stylist.

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I dreaddddd finding a new person...Honest to God...in like 30 yrs I've found maybe 3 people that I was confident in how they cut my hair. My previous girl after many years pretty much ghosted me when she was cutting back on days she worked and that really bummed me out. So I went back to this current girl who I had gone to like 15 yrs ago..she was one of the 3 that I "was" confident with. I was even thinking of practically begging the one that ghosted me to schedule me for the next cut but I would feel really stupid if she blew me off...

• share_oh
    5 years ago

Ugh. Nothing like a bad haircut!!

I had a lady for years who gave me a perfect cut every time - and she was quick! And very affordable. Unfortunately she developed health problems and had to quit. I haven't found anyone since who can do my hair how I like it.

One gal cut the front into a shorter layer so I had what I called a "dutch boy" for a few inches worth of hair. WTH?!

The last lady I went to a few weeks ago my husband found when we moved and she did a great job on his hair. She did ok on mine. She and I didn't really "click" though so I have mixed feelings about going back. But I guess if I don't come up with anybody else to try I'll go back to her.

If I were you I wouldn't go back to the lady who butchered your hair for the second time!

Good luck getting your hair fixed! I feel for you!

• eld6161
    5 years ago

I try to be loyal and there was a time that I used the same person for many years. Lately I haven't been as lucky.

I have tried three different stylists before settling on my current one this past year.

My hair cut is not a complicated one, yet it can be done sloppily. I do single process color and some get it better than others.

Yesterday was my second visit and I will see how things go from here. I never judge until I wash and blow dry it myself.

I'm not sure what your stylist will do which would really be a third attempt. you didn't like it last time, she then did it again this time. What will she do when you go back?

I would not go back. Not sure what you mean about ghosting. I can't imagine anyone turning away work. Can you explain this to me?

• georgysmom2
    5 years ago

She might make it even worse.....start seeking someone else.

• lily316
    5 years ago

Many many years ago I had a bad haircut. I have had a bob for decades. At first, it was almost to the shoulders but gradually over the years it's gotten shorter. I went to this guy, explained what I wanted and lo and behold, the font was shorter than the back and I looked like Toni Tennille. That was decades ago and ever since I have cut my own bob and get it exactly right.

• OklaMoni
    5 years ago

I hope, I fare better next Thursday. Appointment with a new to me person... instead of butchering my own...

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ELD: "I would not go back. Not sure what you mean about ghosting. I can't imagine anyone turning away work. Can you explain this to me?"

ghosting is like ignoring someone away...or at least that is how I explain it. I'd text for an appointment and she wouldn't reply...

I may just text and ask what are the chances of my getting back in her rotation...I only get my hair cut like every 10-12 weeks...or maybe that's the problem...I wasn't regular enough...who knows!!

ETA: I looked up my last text to the girl that ghosted me, 12/17/16 :-(

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think if she just texturizes the layer so it not so blunt, it will blend in better till it grows out. I know exactly where she went wrong....when she lifts the back of my hair over the top of my hair and cuts the layers...that is when they stack.

I feel bad telling a hairstylist how NOT to cut my hair, but I do know my hair....

• eccentric
    5 years ago

Do not go back. The same thing happened to me - but in addition to the nightmare haircut it was also cut very short. I have it blown dry straight but it is very heavy with natural curl. The only time it is straight is when I go to the hairdresser - and I never go to one that requires a flat iron to make it straight but rather someone who knows how to properly blow dry hair (I sure don't). Of course since my hair was so short that when I washed it and it naturally curled up you couldn't even see it beneath my hat - and I always wear a hat - auburn hair originally but single processed coloured for many years now.

I had been going to this person for 2 years but had started to notice some odd things about my hair, but this time many people asked me what on earth I had done to my hair - and to make matters worse I was going away.

So I searched etc. and tried a new guy and he is good. I stopped by 2 weeks before so that he could see what he would be dealing with. I had the colour and cut and he used the colour product that works best on my hair (Goldwell) - so did the other hairdresser at first but then felt that another product she carried would work better (it didn't). My hair is a work in progress but hey I don't have the dreaded red stripe down my part line.

Had I gone back to the previous hairdresser, in order to even out the already short hair she would have had to cut it even shorter since it was so out of whack.

One thing to watch out for is if they use the thinning shears. You will just end up with thin weird hair. I know, it happened to me. As did many things. I have hair that hairdressers love which easily gets me into a lot of trouble. All I ask is that scissors not be involved (or anything but auburn hair colour without a stripe). If I suited anything except auburn I would go with the other colour due to the fading issue.

Even at 68 hairdressers want to do my hair, bizarre as it seems. So far the number of comments on my corrective cut/colour have been numerous and good. Even my husband noticed.

I was aware that my hair would grow, but gee making a mess just before a vacation trip was something she should not have done.

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

Add me to those who wouldn’t go back. I would it give her an opportunity to further butcher my hair and make me cry

Do you have a friend with a similar haircut you like? If so, ask her. If not, you just may have to take a chance on yet another stylist.

I am fortunate that I have a trusty hairdresser who has cut (and formerly colored) my hair for over 30 years, lost count. She is now in a salon with a friend and several others, all good, and I wouldn’t hesitate to let one of them cut my hair if she fell ill or if otherwise necessary. It doesn’t always happen that way, my SIL being one case similar to yours. She is looking again. I hate it for you.

• User
    5 years ago

Nope, don't go back. If you don't want to "ghost", text and say why, but don't give in. I had a short haircut I loved. It was, I guess, what you would call a long pixie??? Cut short on the sides and back, but long on the top. Layered down to the short parts.The lady got married and retired. I got another stylist. She did OK the first time or two, but it turned into a cut like you put a bowl over my head. A Beatle cut. AT least it wasn't a crew cut. I have finally gave up and just keep it all one length, shoulder length.

• User
    5 years ago

I only get a good haircut a few times from the same person then its bad. I don't go back for a very long time if then. I would rather do it myself.

• wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

I've had had the same hairdresser for years. If I don't like how something turns out I message her and she fits me in to fix it. If you don't let her see the problem at the time it happens then how is she to fix it after it grows out?

I have only had to go back twice in over 15 plus years. Once was when she did a cut and a section went out in a crazy direction a few days later after I washed it. I went back and it was amazing what just a few tiny snips did to take care of the problem.

Your hairdresser needs to see how your hair looks a few days after or when you do your hair. Sometimes things don't show up when it's been just styled by them. Let her see the issue so she can fix it and avoid the issue in the future. A good hairstylist appreciates being informed. Only a bad one will get offended.

Recently when we went darker I was unhappy with the darker hair near my face. She not only fixed the color but put more high lights in at no cost to me to prepare for future toning as the winter months approach.

• blfenton
    5 years ago

I wouldn't go back.

I used to go to a stylist at a salon where my colourist was also working. My colourist left and I follow her and at her new salon there was a stylist there who worked out really well and all was good. Then the stylist left and I was not happy with the replacement. So I went back to my previous stylist. So yes, now I go to one salon for my cut and another for my colour.

I don;t know what I will do if my colourist ever leaves the profession.

• User
    5 years ago

If she had cut the surrounding hair down to the shorter layer how would it have looked? While I probably would start looking for another person I have noticed when changing styles that leaving a portion uncut makes the do look like it was only partially completed. Removing just the ends seems to make things blend better.

I do not know if other women on here have noticed anything similar except for the bowl comment above but the last couple of cuts I have had as they start growing out give the appearance of a dutch boy or Prince Valent look. My hair is short like many older women.

• dee_can1
    5 years ago

I can honestly say I've never found a good hairdresser, except maybe a long time ago when I was in my teens. lol So I've been cutting my own hair for years - maybe not much better than the hairdressers I've seen. Last year I tried a hairdresser again, and the cut was bad again. Ever since I decided to take an electric razor and give myself buzzcuts that range from just about bald to about .25 inches. It looks pretty good if I say so myself. :) Not that I recommend shaving your hair off, but I've gotten a lot of compliments and it's really easy to wash and go. It also seems to be more common these days, that women shave off their hair.

• nannygoat18
    5 years ago

Perhaps, in a passive-aggressive manner, she is telling you that she does not want you as her customer?

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

Start asking ladies who you like their haircut where they get it cut. I think you lost your hairdresser. I think nannygoat18 might be right. I move to a different area a few years ago and I found a wonderful hairdresser just by asking around. Personally i found out with hairdressers you get what you pay for. You want cheap you are going to get a cheap haircut. Fast does not constitute a good hairdresser. I am there at least an hour when I go to the hairdresser. She make getting your hair done an event.

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I ended up going back today to see if my stylist could fix my hair. She layered it even more to blend it in....it's more layers than I would have preferred but hopefully will look a little better while it grows out...We'll see.

• User
    5 years ago

When we lived in CA my sister would cut my hair and I didn’t appreciate how fortunate I was until we moved. It took 12 long and painful years to find the one but I finally did a year or so ago.

I was going to suggest you ask someone who’s hair is cut in a way you like too. That’s what my sister kept encouraging me to do. In the end though I found this gal through Yelp. The salon had 5 stars and is really close to my house. Her name was mentioned in the majority of the reviews so she was obviously doing something right. What nailed it for me though was a review that said “as usual, “L” has worked her magic with those scissors” and she really does! The bonus is she’s just a very nice person and we’re friends now too.

• arkansas girl
    5 years ago

I agree with functionthenlook, ask around when you see someone with hair that you like. This is what I would do. Most people are more than willing to give out the names of their favorite hairdresser.

• Yayagal
    5 years ago

If you specifically ask and tell a hair stylist how you want the cut to look and they don't execute your preference, never go back.

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have done that before...asking people who cuts their hair. I found my previous stylist, the one who ended up ghosting me this way. The spouse of a relative has hair similar to mine and she always had cute cuts so I asked where she went and that is how I found that one. Back to the drawing board. LOL

ETA: Yes, I have gone to stylists and explained to them how my hair ends up with a ledge when layered....and they will do exactly what I said I didn't want. You don't know how many times I've had to grow my hair out. It's not the end of the world as I normally wear my hair up but it's frustrating when you pay for a hair cut that isn't what you were looking for.

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

I think some of the problems with a bad haircut is really unrealistic expectations. People want a certain cut they seen in a magazine or on someone else, but their hair is not suited for that cut. How many people wanted Farrah Fawcett hair at one time, but it wasn't going to happen with hair types like mine (bone straight). You have to get a hair cut suited for you type of hair and shape of your face.

• eccentric
    5 years ago

always1stepbehind - at least you can wear your hair up! I don't suit it up and since it is so thick it really doesn't stay up anyway - and of course the layers don't help. Hopefully your current "corrective" cut will help and you will have better luck going forward.

functionthenlook - I would love to have thick, straight hair - emphasis on the thick.

I know the type of hair cut that suits me and my hair type. I was one of those who could easily have Farrah Fawcett hair. I absolutely do not suit it short, nor do I have the type of hair that works short unless I want to have a brillo pad look.

I have had many people over the years (when I had a good hairdresser) ask me where I go - but I agree with you, hair type does matter. I think only one person who asked me had my hair type. I never take a picture to a hairdresser because I tend to like styles that won't suit me. Murphy's Law being what it is, we always want what we can't have and I understand that.

But the fellow I have been to once and will be seeing again in early Oct. did an excellent job. I was there for nearly 3 hours for the colour, cut and blow dry. He had to spend a lot of time fixing the cut (evening it out at the bottom sure helped) and he left the colour on for the right amount of time - both the roots and then the second part - he mixed up a second batch of colour for it . And, he used the right word - a "trim".

One of the worst thing that can happen is when your hairdresser goes on a course and wants to try out the latest and greatest and you tell him/her not to if it involves the scissors - but he/she does not listen and next thing you know with one quick snip you have hair on one side cut above your ear while the other side is much longer and is intended to be. It doesn't help when your hair is the type that hairdressers love to practice on. Now that I am old it doesn't happen as much.

Now if only I didn't wear a size 9 1/2 shoe...

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

eccentric, unfortunately straight, but only when it turned gray did it have some thickness. Most natural blonds I have run across don't have thick hair. When it was long I had to keep fussing with it so it wouldn't hand in strings. If you see a adult blond with thick hair 9 time out of 10 it is dyed. Now my one granddaughter has really curly hair and she wanted it cut like her sister with straight hair. I told her she would look like brillo pad also if she cut her hair. We always want what we can't have. lol

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

An unrealistic expectation was not the case with this mess. The ONE good thing that came out of this was "curl cream". I've never bought hair products based on embracing my curls...it's always been about smoothing/frizz fighting/straightening products. She asked if I want her to use a curl cream on my hair and I said sure...She used Morrocan (sp?) Oil curl cream on my hair that felt really nice. Not heavy, smelled good and made my hair nice and shiny. I'm definitely going to pick some up.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

Skipped down, so apologies if this was mentioned already, but when I am making an appointment somewhere new, I request someone who specializes in the type of cut I prefer, and of course, bring pictures.

So far it has worked very well w/ the last 2 cuts by new-to-me people. This was at a nearby Aveda salon. I get my hair cut (short & layered) only a few times per year, and was surprised to realize the last one was all the way back in June, it grew out so nicely, I didn't need it cut again until now!

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

I think it's more than likely at most places that the regular practice is whoever's turn it is for the next appointment call, or whoever has space in their schedule, "specializes in the type of cut" you prefer.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

Maybe that is the case sometimes, esp. in lower priced places, but but not as far as I could tell at this higher end salon. Some people are better with long hair, some specialize in color, some are good w/ short hair, or curly hair, etc. The young woman who just cut my hair yesterday did a wonderful job - and has the same type of hair as I do.

Step DIL is a cosmetologist & has completed a lot of schooling and her speciality is color. Now she's going back to school for esthetician training.

Places that rely on high turnover of customers may not have any reason to encourage repeat visits, or even satisfied clients, but better salons certainly do.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Not in every shop but it's common in this business that each worker isn't an employee of the salon but rather "rents the chair" and works for their own account. In these cases, the practice is a fair sharing, rotation, of call and walk-ins (by customers without an established person they've used before) If it's Carol's turn to get the next call-in, then you can be sure she "specializes" in what that person asks about, unless it's something Carol has explicitly said she doesn't want to do. Or, if it's something quite unusual that not everyone can do.

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

I have never been to a salon that rents chairs. Maybe chain salons do , but not individualy owned salons . Chain salons don't last long around here before they fizzle out. I don't go to chain salons. In our state not all hairdressers can own a salon . To own a salon you have to have additional education.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

I've been to at least one salon here that leases out space & chairs, but it was not big chains/franchise - more like a co-op, with the lessees booking their own appointments and pooling costs for common supplies, maintenance, etc..

This was located in a high end commercial section of town too.

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Still sitting with a bad cut. In this case, time will help. I keep saying I'm gong to reach out to my old girl, but haven't :-(

• krmarchese
    5 years ago

I moved about an hour away from the stylist I went to for 7/8 years who did my hair wonderfully! I have short hair and she really knew how to cut it. When I moved I tried 3 different people locally over the past 3 years and just got "ok" cuts. I decided to make the one hour drive and return to my former stylist. After she cut my hair once people started complementing my haircut!

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'd drive an hour for a good stylist!!

• SEA SEA
    5 years ago

To the OP, sorry that happened to you. Nothing can ruin a month or two, or even three (!) like a bad haircut. I'm a hair stylist 30+ years. It's time to find a new stylist. You've been ghosted by your old one. She's telling you, without telling you, that she doesn't want to work on you anymore. Do not reach out to her anymore.

Look on Yelp for a new hair stylist for yourself. It's a useful resource. Start fresh and look forward. Give the current haircut time to grow out and get a little overgrown and then go in for a haircut--with a different stylist. The new person will need to have something to work with.

One bad haircut can happen to anyone. Twice in a row is a pattern. Time to start over with someone new.

Wishing you better luck next time. Hugs

Edit to add: Bring in a photo of yourself when you had a haircut you liked. Also, and more important, bring in a photo of yourself when you had a h/c you did NOT like. Visuals on the actual person are useful. Visuals on a person who is not you and has a different hair type, head shape, body mass, etc...are not too helpful in my experience. It's like apples to oranges.

always1stepbehind thanked SEA SEA
  • always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

UPDATE: I got a recommendation for a new stylist...Set an appt earlier during the week for sat. at noon. At the same time, I said screw it...and sent a text to my old girl who ghosted me. Didn't hear back for a few days...I will admit I was a little butt hurt but knew I might not get a response. Lo and behold I get a reply Thursday that she had a cancellation for Sat. 9am!! Heck yeah, I'll take it. It gave me enough time to cancel my appt with new person at noon so I didn't feel too bad. But I was a little worried thinking after this appt with old girl, who's to say I'll be able to continue with her since her schedule had really tighten up. But I didn't care, I knew I'd get a good cut and that was most important. I'd worry about later, later. Well turns out her schedule will allow for me to get back with her as a client!! She did a great job. It was a good day. I brought the length way up, it looks good but I know as soon as I wash it myself I'm going to feel like half my hair is gone LOL

• eld6161
    5 years ago

Good for you that you are happy. Personally, I would not want to use a hairdresser who treats me this way.

I get it though. A good hairdresser is worth their weight in gold.