SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bleusblue2

he's gone too far

bleusblue2
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I simply don't know what to say -- is there a "too far" for Trump? I'm referring to what I just saw in the news: He says the girl would have called police if the assault she describes really happened. Speaking as someone who grew up in those days I can tell you what I, and no doubt every girl I knew, would have done. I would have gone home and never mentioned a word to my parents or anybody I knew. I would have been ashamed of myself for being there. I would have wondered why I was so dumb. I will refrain from saying any more about the "President".

Comments (58)

• Chi
    5 years ago

It's nothing new. She's being called all sorts of nasty things in the other thread by some people. A liar, an addict, a psychopath, delusional, demented, just to name a few. And that's by other women.

I get really tired of people who have never been sexually assaulted telling us what the proper response should be in order to be believed.

Yes, there are a few women who lie about it but I believe there are many more who are unfairly called liars. In any case it must be investigated thoroughly.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

Well, to be fair, one can need help w/o ever actually accepting any.

• Related Discussions

too far gone for bed bench? maybe!

Q

Comments (11)
    Since the seat is reddish I think I would give a light coat to the back too so they would match up more & then give it some coating so it doesn't weather too badly. If it was mine I would trim the front posts back a little(too tall). I would go above where it is attached to the cross post where the upright post starts getting fat & make that into a round ball shape. I wear long sleeves or wrap a blanket around myself when I want to be out & it is getting colder.I would be "catching my sleeves or blanket on those tall posts in front. But that is just me, getting more careful outside since I took a fall a few years back. Looks like it will be a great addition to your yard! Jan
    ...See More

Boston gone? Philly too far? Little known flower show!

Q

Comments (14)
    Some good speakers at the RI show this year - Ken Druse is on at 1:00 pm Saturday, February 21. I really like his books and, unless I'm mistaken, he's a good speaker. Karl Gercens is at noon on both Friday & Saturday - I haven't seen him before, but he's from Longwood Gardens (PA). Paul Miskovsky, an expert in xeriscaping from Falmouth, is doing 3 different talks; he's very involved in MassHort, and did the main display garden with Allen Haskell for several years at the NE show. Then there's the Designer Forum - I've been meaning to get to that for years but ... maybe this year!
    ...See More

Have I gone too far?

Q

Comments (2)
    I think that he values your opion, and he wants to be like you. People only ask the people they want to be like what they would do. You've been a good friend to him and he trust you, just like you trust him. Maybe this is why you want him to know about your father. Just because he does'nt ask doesn't mean he don't care about you. He may already know and just don't know how or what to say. This friend must mean something to you, that is why you want to share this very sad and personal experience with him. I hope that you've worked every thing out and things are good for you.
    ...See More

Painted outlets- have I gone too far?

Q

Comments (28)
    carecooks asked: "I know that the plate isn't difficult, but what about the outlet itself. Is that a big deal to change (er, meaning costly since I'm at the end of the remodel)?" They are both easy--the outlets are inexpensive--under $1 for 'regular' outlets and about $3-4 for 'decora' outlets. It is definitely a task many people do themselves. It does help to have a couple of (not too expensive) tools, including a 'tester' to ensure that the outlet is really powered off before you start to removed it and is wired properly after it is replaced. If you still have a GC around, you can ask him if he'll switch them if you pick them up at HD or Lowe's :-). It doesn't take more than 5 minutes or so to swap out an outlet. If you were near here, I'd do it for you!
    ...See More
  • bleusblue2
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Giving my "credentials" for speaking about the topic seems ridiculous.
    But let's leave it at this: I am a dual citizen, grew up in the U.S. and have deep feelings for my native land. My closest relatives live there.

• User
    5 years ago

Elmer, That ignoramous has offended and affected pretty much every country that we have/had a strong bond with. Why shouldn’t they have a right to say what they feel. I welcome the comradery, looking at it from a different perspective perhaps, but I see that as support. They know we, as citizens do not feel as he does, we don’t support him or his policies and are so upset over what he’s doing. It’s quite obvious that both publically and privately, he is doing everything he can to destroy our democracy. It’s so obvious. Anyone who doesn’t see that as a country, we are under attack by a traitor is blind. Right now, we need all the support we can get.

Edited

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

His comment is so disrespectful to so many women that either have elected not to tell anyone. Having been a female at that time at best if she reported it she would have been patted on the head and told that it was her fault she was in that position. At worst if people knew she would have been the cause and the guys would have been congratulated because they were real men. This is not politics so saying that people from another should not comment only means that the person commenting was lucky.

I have been thinking about the young men that were used in boarding schools and other places when young women were not available. It happened and they really had no place to turn. This too is one of the things that happened at boarding schools. His remarks also cover them.

• User
    5 years ago

True CarolB, you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.

• User
    5 years ago

Actually, what most don’t realize too is that treatment like that was not only prevelant back then in cases of sexual assault. As a wife, if you were battered, you had no recourse as well. Not legally or socially. Ask me how I know. :c(

• lucillle
    5 years ago

Being sexually assaulted and then taunted and disrespected happens outside of the United States too. I don't think KT sisters need to confined by borders. And I personally feel that Trump is an idiot no matter where you live, we don't need anyone putting lipstick on that pig, call it like you see it.

• Uptown Gal
    5 years ago

He said, "if it was "that bad", why didn't she report it". Must be he thinks there is a level of assault that is ok?

• wanda_va
    5 years ago

I won't condone what Trump said, but I think he is acting out of frustration. I can understand why she wouldn't call the police, but not remembering any details whatsoever doesn't ring true to me. I generally do not subscribe to the "repressed memory syndrome", unless, of course, the assault is so horrific that she suffers from amnesia, requiring intensive psychiatric intervention. If I set out to destroy a man and his family, I would be damn sure that I had my facts straight. This is my opinion.

• schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago

Speaking as someone who grew up in those days I can tell you what I, and
    no doubt every girl I knew, would have done. I would have gone home and
    never mentioned a word to my parents or anybody I knew.

Yes, same here.

• kris_zone6
    5 years ago

When something like this happens, you don't remember all the details because the whole happening is horrific.

• Chi
    5 years ago

She was 15. When I was that age, I had a predatory experience that I didn't realize the full extent until I was much older, and by then the details were fuzzy. I know now that it was sexual assault. The guy was in his late 30's and I was 15 and without getting too detailed, what he did was illegal. I was too timid to stop him, I was confused at what was happening and never once considered that I was sexually assaulted or to call the police. As an adult, I'm horrified at what happened, and my response would be much different now.

A child cannot be blamed for not calling the police, for not memorizing every detail, for not realizing that it was actually assault. And an adult, upon realizing the truth of what happened, cannot be blamed for not remembering every single detail. It doesn't mean it didn't happen.

• Olychick
    5 years ago

"but not remembering any details whatsoever doesn't ring true to me".

I think if she were making up lies, she'd go to the trouble to make up more specific things. Trauma does cause memories to fade or be a jumble. So does repression - trying to forget something awful is sometimes effective, at least as far as consciously. But those memories are in there somewhere.

And I agree this is an issue that women worldwide face and borders/citizenship doesn't render someone's opinions invalid or intrusive.

• Chi
    5 years ago

Anyone notice this thread disappeared for a little bit? I guess someone tried to flag unsuccessfully.

• User
    5 years ago

He's always going to far. Nothing new.

I knew I wouldn't vote for him from the very beginning.

Canadians most certainly do have the right to speak. IMO

• Annie Deighnaugh
    5 years ago

To answer the OP, no, there is no 'too far' for trump. About the only true thing he's said is that he could shoot someone on 5th avenue and still keep his followers.

• User
    5 years ago

Giving my "credentials" for speaking about the topic seems ridiculous.
    But let's leave it at this: I am a dual citizen, grew up in the U.S. and have deep feelings for my native land. My closest relatives live there.

There are a number of Canadians who post on Hot Topics. One lives both in Canada and the U.S. She is relentlessly attacked by another poster who feels she doesn't have a "right" to share her opinions on what goes on here. We are a global community. Why is that so hard to understand?

• blfenton
    5 years ago

As long as Americans call their president the leader of the free world I will say what I d@mn well please about said president.

He went too far before he was elected and yet here we are.

• graywings123
    5 years ago

MM_gw and Annie Deighnaugh summed up my thinking exactly:

He's always going to far. Nothing new.

I knew I wouldn't vote for him from the very beginning.

Canadians most certainly do have the right to speak. IMO

To answer the OP, no, there is no 'too far' for trump. About the only true thing he's said is that he could shoot someone on 5th avenue and still keep his followers.

I can only add that when Tucker Carlson doesn't understand the value of diversity, a bunch of old, old white men remind us why we need it. They do not understand what women have been through.

• User
    5 years ago

“I can only add that when Tucker Carlson doesn't understand the value of diversity, a bunch of old, old white men remind us why we need it. They do not understand what women have been through.”

Nor do they care and that sums up the problem right there.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

blfenton (and also for our other neighbors across the borders), there is no such thing as the "leader of the free world". People can call themselves whatever they want, it doesn't make it so.

Do you go over to your neighbor's house and tell the woman her husband's a slob? Or that you think her clothing is unflattering or her room decoration is atrocious? No, that would be impolite and poor manners. The same is true in saying something uncomplimentary about a neighboring country's politics. I don't think asking questions in a non-rhetorical way is offensive but otherwise why not show some class and keep you opinions to yourself?

• blfenton
    5 years ago

Your argument is false equivalency.

• User
    5 years ago

I don't think asking questions in a non-rhetorical way is offensive but
    otherwise why not show some class and keep you opinions to yourself?

That is a personal attack and a ridiculous one at that. It has absolutely nothing to do with the topic and is only going to derail the discussion. Start a new thread about whether Canadians are classless for criticizing the president. You can have the whole thread to yourself if you'd like.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

The above speil was an extremely poor analogy. Say that same neighbor's husband abused her or insulted her in public or made lunatic statements about something he had absolutely no knowledge about, I doubt whether the advice would be the same.....you would likely be encouraged to speak out and make that opinion public. To consider (or worse yet, openly call) someone on a international forum with possible global readership "classless" for speaking their opinion on a topic that affects the entire world is the height of presumptuousness and ethnocentrism!! Get over yourself!

afaic, the more people that speak out in opposition to the current administration, regardless of their citizenship or where precisely they reside, the better the US and the world at large will be. Personally, I am very glad that other, non-USA residents are willing to speak their opinion openly and publicly. Not that it is likely do any good, unfortunately.

btw, the "leader of the free world" is an accepted colloquialism for the president of the United States and has been in accepted usage since the 40's.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

The playoff between baseball leagues is the World Series. The Super Bowl winner is called the World Champion. And the US President is the leader of the free world. All of these uses are common in the US and most uncommon abroad. I've never heard anyone say the "leader" term in Europe, for example. No surprise, it's a title that has no significance to most. The US is a big country on the world stage but far from the only one that influences others.

PS - a citizen or perm resident, even if dual, triple, or whatever has a stake in one or more games and a vested interest to speak up.

You'd rarely hear a European offer serious criticism about another country's leader. They'll question, scratch their heads, ask leading questions, and laugh or cry. But not overtly criticize. I've had several trips over lately and have visited with local friends. I heard plenty of indirect comments and leading questions about Trump, also grins and chuckles. No direct comments.

Any of you are welcome to disagree with what I consider rude behavior.

• maddielee
    5 years ago

If my neighbor was abusing her children I would shout out about it. Especially if the authorities weren't stopping the abuse.

bleusblue, carry on. I agree with every point you make.

bleusblue2 thanked maddielee
  • desertsteph
    5 years ago

and after years of having high unemployment and high numbers on welfare, jobs are up, economy is humming along and welfare has dropped a considerable amount, etc.

were people voting for their local minister? or someone to run the country - finally?

• graywings123
    5 years ago

You are forgetting, desertsteph, that over 8 long years Obama pulled this country out of the second deepest recession in its history. The economy, etc were humming alone pretty well by the time trump showed up. No I don't want a minister running the country, I would like someone less cringe-worthy than who we have at the moment.

• jemdandy
    5 years ago

I think that Canadians should feel free to speak up about what they see in our leader(s). We US citizens would do well to listen to the viewpoints of our neighbors to the north. Having views from both sides of the fence can be helpful in sorting out one's own course of action and thought in times of stress, and let's face it, we are stressed.

• User
    5 years ago

Elmer, that has got to be one of the dumbest things I've heard you say! What Trump says is what a LOT of men believe no matter what country they live in. I'll say what I want to say when he is attacking a woman who was sexually assaulted and he himself has even done the same thing. "grab them by the pus*y!" Remember that? What the US does affects the planet. Not just the US. And this is the internet. It doesn't belong to the US. It belongs to the planet. We can ALL say whatever the he** we want. To whomever we choose to and don't anyone EVER tell me who can give our opinions about. YOUR AMERICAN president is the reason WE have 30,000 people living here that were living in the US. You think your country doesn't affect us? Take that. And the tariffs your president is charging MY country. I'll talk any way I want.

• Uptown Gal
    5 years ago

I agree with a lot of what you say,Debby...but please remember that our Florida in the winter months are a heck of a lot of Canadians escaping the cold and playing. As well as shopping in MI, NY, PA, WI and all the border States. To say

nothing with the many, many movie stars, singers, bands, etc. that were born

in Canada and are now in the U.S. Don't complain too much about the "30,000 people living here that were living in the US". Check the traffic on

'the out road before you complain about the in road.'

• desertsteph
    5 years ago

no, I don't forget Obama and the destruction he did to this country. it was not 'humming along' in this country. I found him very cringe worthy for over 8 yrs and still do. He is still trying to hurt this country. I'm not sure this country will ever recover from 8 yrs of him, but Trump sure is trying to make it happen and has made great progress at it so far, in just 2 yrs.

The left is a whole lot more offensive to me than Trump is. There are also many on the right who are offensive to me - including McCain (in more recent yrs) and Jeff Flake - neither who have gotten my vote in recent years. Flake knows he wouldn't win again and I doubt McCain would have, if he'd lived to run again.

And while the left is so up in arms against BK and claiming to be in support of women, they might think back to how they treated Sarah Palin, Cindy McCain and Ann Romney during past election times, including things said about some of their kids and things said about Melania, Baron and the women Clinton abused.

• User
    5 years ago

no, I don't forget Obama and the destruction he did to this country. it was not 'humming along' in this country.

I’m so tired of hearing traitor trump fans say this because no one as of yet has really been able to specify with clarity exactly what he did to destroy it. And don’t forget he took office after a financial crisis that destroyed the lives of millions under the leadership of another bumbling republican.

• patriciae_gw
    5 years ago

Gosh, this is starting to sound like Hot Topics.

Donald Trump is the poster child for making derogatory remarks about other countries and their leaders.

And I must have spent time in a different Europe because multiple people have asked me questions and made comments on US presidents and policy over the years. I do not myself bring it up unless some one else does.

• joyfulguy
    5 years ago

Too bad your current president is pretty well walking away from the leadership position that your country has offered to the world in recent decades, especially with regard to the need for international cooperation in dealing with dictatorial and anti-freedom and anti-democratic powers.

Russia and China are walking into the vacuum ... with a smile ... when they'd been figuring that it'd require quite a lot of maneuvering, pressure, effort and hostility to unseat the U.S. and others who valued those qualities.

ole joyful ... most of the time

• DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Same here, patriciae.

I can't think of a place in Europe, Asia, Mexico or Canada that I've been where US presidents and US policy hasn't been brought up. The people we know and whom we've met are very interested in what's happening in the US both before Trump and since Trump has been elected.

Even though I live in the US, worked here during my working years, pay taxes, contribute to Social Security and own property here, I have been told I don't have a right to an opinion about US politics/policy because I am a Canadian. That didn't go over very well. I think pretty much everyone who is alive on this planet is affected by what the US does, which in my opinion, gives them a right to an opinion and a right to express that opinion.

• bob_cville
    5 years ago

> I’m so tired of hearing traitor trump fans say this because no one as of
    yet has really been able to specify with clarity exactly what he did to
    destroy it.

The only concrete answer I've heard them offer is "he apologized for the previous administration's illegal, unjustified war and for their torturing people." Or nonsense like "he made it illegal to say 'Merry Christmas'" Or completely backwards false assertions like "he took a strong vibrant economy and destroyed it."

• wanda_va
    5 years ago

Talk about going too far: Senator Chris Coons (D-DE) said today that Kavanaugh BEARS THE BURDEN OF DISPROVING THESE ALLEGATIONS! This is completely contrary to our justice system. It's also very scary!

• Kathsgrdn
    5 years ago

I went to Spain with my kids just before this last presidential election. First major dinner topic was whether or not we were going to vote for the "right" person. All 3 of us voted for a third person on the ballet. When we all told them who we were going to vote for, they were shocked there were more than 2 candidates. But they were very worried about the election.

• User
    5 years ago

Uptown gal, the Canadians are called Snowbirds. They HELP your economy by spending their money in your country a few months a year. They used a passport to cross the border to visit. They aren’t there as refugees.

• ronminsouthga
    5 years ago

You are forgetting, desertsteph, that over 8 long years Obama pulled this country out of the second deepest recession in its history. The economy, etc were humming alone pretty well by the time trump showed up. No I don't want a minister running the country, I would like someone less cringe-worthy than who we have at the moment.

BULL Where in the USA did you live during the BO years??? Driving through small towns in Ga and Al industry gone , large car dealership and small business closed. You would not believe the change since TRUMP is our President. I would love to know where you'll get your news???

• Chi
    5 years ago

Of course industries were gone and small businesses were closed during the Obama years. Do you remember 2008 and 2009? He inherited a terrible recession. Economic growth doesn't, and shouldn't, happen overnight. It takes time to do it in a sustainable way, and he did an incredible job with it.

Trump's economic growth isn't even comparable considering the strong economy he inherited. It's a lot easier to grow an economy when it's established and has been growing for years than when it's in a deep recession.

• lily316
    5 years ago

Worldwide Obama was admired and got along famously with leaders. Today tRump made an azz out of himself as usual at the UN and the whole erupted in laughter AT him , not with him. He said his speech was great. He reads everything like a little child just learning to read. Omarosa said in her book she brought up his mental deterioration with members of the family because he won't read briefs, forgets talking points and contradicts himself two sentences later. He is as dumb as a box of rocks.

• User
    5 years ago

Uptown, also all those celebrities born in Canada now living in the US: they also crossed the border legally with a passport and legal documents, none of which that I know of claimed refugee status from Canada. They are pouring money into your tax system and bringing tourists from all over to spend their money into your country thus improving YOUR economy.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

Re: discussing political issues. I think only in the USA is it considered impolite to talk about political issues. I believe people in most other countries, cultures are generally more deeply engaged in and informed about civics, etc.

Perhaps that's why some of us get nasty, don't seem to know how to hold an intelligent discussion about such topics? Lack of experience? A psychic discomfort about the subject?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

"Senator Chris Coons (D-DE) said today that Kavanaugh BEARS THE BURDEN OF
    DISPROVING THESE ALLEGATIONS! This is completely contrary to our
    justice system. It's also very scary!"

Kavanaugh is not on trial in a court of law. The statute of limitations has expired on his alleged crime, so a court will never have to prove his guilt.

• User
    5 years ago

Not so fast Mama Goose, each state has it’s own laws and in Maryland, there are no statue’s of limitations for a violent crime. This victim still has the right to file charges even now and is actually being encouraged to do so by some.

Professor Ford has done absolutely everything she has available to her to prove that this happened, so yeah, now the burden is on him to prove her wrong, nothing unfair about that. Now why doesn’t that committee comprised of all old white men step up to the plate and show her some fairness? Under the circumstances I think it’s her due.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/kyle-drennen/2018/09/21/msnbc-maybe-ford-should-file-criminal-charges-against-kavanaugh

• wanda_va
    5 years ago

Based on the allegations heretofore presented, it seems unlikely that this alleged attack would reach the level of felony sexual offenses, for which there is no statute of limitations. The status of limitations for misdemeanor sexual offenses is one year from the event.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath