SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luigi_lake

Should I mix soil to make it dry faster?

L Lake
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi everyone,

Quick intro: Zone 6, all my plants are potted indoor and outdoor (rose of sharon, wisteria, ginkgo, and grape)

I'm an avid user of Coast of Maine potting soil mix. From all the soils I've used, it seems to be the best quality. My only problem with it, however is that it stays moist for quite a long time. So long that I usually only water my indoor plants every two weeks, and the outdoor ones almost not at all because the rain waters them and keeps the soil moist. I want to make it MUCH faster drying so I can water them more, which means I can feed them more water soluble fertilizers as well.

I recently took a bonsai class, and found the soil they use to be very well draining. It made me think, would mixing 50/50 bonsai soil with Coast of Maine potting soil make it dry faster? It seems like a quick and easy fix for it as I've been overwhelmed by the many other choices i've found by researching for making soil dry faster.

Here are some products that caught my eye and I'm debating on buying to prepare my soil mix for the spring

I don't mind spending for this, but I really want to make an educated decision and this forum has always provided me with the best information. Please let me know what you think!

Comments (8)