SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cowhorncreek

Please Recommend a Good Moisturizer

Over the past 3 or 4 weeks, my face skin has become so, so dry. Never have I had dry face skin before this. It is so dry that my skin feels as if it very taut with a slight burning sensation, but it is not. My lips are very dry, too. Will you please recommend a good, rich moisturizer. For years I used Elizabeth Arden Millenium, but they no longer produce it. Just know I have to get something and would love to get your thought and recommendations. TIA

Comments (52)

• 5 years ago

I vote for coconut oil. If you don't want to smell like coconuts get the refined one, you can buy both at the grocery store.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked User
  • 5 years ago

Walnut Creek, have you changed something in your routine.....diet, medications, soaps, etc? Just curious.

After washing my face with Dove before bed, I pat on a little warmed coconut oil on my face, throat, chest, arms, elbows, and hands. It is fully absorbed before I crawl under the covers.

I follow pretty much the same routine after a morning shower.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Related Discussions

recommendations: moisture-loving ground covers for pond edge

Q

Comments (2)
    i have violets planted around mine white and purple..mine are in light shade to full shade and they don't die back with the constant water source. some are running violets and they have spread to make a carpet like area of violets. i also have some planted in the bog. they have done well also.
    ...See More

Recommendations for moisturizer

Q

Comments (31)
    I also use the EWG website and agree with Mtn that it's tough to find good green products. I ordered some Beauty Counter products (makeup) from Goop but was not wow'd. I found 100% Pure Coffee Bean eye cream when it was produced in a glass bottle years ago. Loved it but then they switched to plastic - I was disappointed they gave up glass but like the cream. I've tried high-end, low-end in the search. Last purchase was Nourish products and I do like the eye cream. I always look for fragrance-free as well. 100% Pure Nourish Organic
    ...See More

Need Recommendations for a Good Bottle of Wine, Please

Q

Comments (31)
    I wasn't going to comment - she didn't seem to be happy with my earlier one- but as long as you brought it up, lars, I found the info she posted a bit odd. I'm not sure what the credentials are for the site or the author she linked to, but any "survey" that determined that moscato is the most popular white wine makes me wonder. Can't imagine what market that might be. I've only had it a few times (thankfully) but it reminded me of carbonated Kool-Aid. Rarely see it, rarely hear anyone talk about it or bring it along for a social visit or dinner. The muscat grape is has an odd flavor, no good can come of it. ;-) Maybe for those not put off by the muscat flavor, it might be for a fresh and cold appetizer but for the many who view "wine as food", it doesn't fit anywhere nor can I imagine what kind of food it would complement. Other than peanuts or chips. Those looking for a refreshing, bubbly, less inexpensive wine made from decent grape types should be happy with a German sekt or, indeed, an Italian prosecco. .
    ...See More

I'm searching for either foundation or moisturizer with good SPF

Q

Comments (4)
    I had melanoma removed from my cheek in November. I have a fairly big scar, though not that noticeable. To allow the scar to fade, I'm avoiding the sun during prime hours. I prefer mineral sunscreens but most leave a white cast. However, I absolutely love Sun Bum Tinted Sunscreen Face Lotion. It is so so light going on. It is only SPF 30 but since I'm avoiding direct sunlight, it is enough protection. If I can't avoid the sun during prime hours, I like Elta sunscreen. https://www.sunbum.com/products/mineral-spf-30-tinted-sunscreen-face-lotion-1-7oz
    ...See More
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I feel for you. With the heat of the summer, even though I haven’t been out in the sun, my aging skin has felt drier than usual. I have been playing around with samples but haven’t hit on the right one yet. DD has been doing the same. She is 47, I am 70.

I use a lot of Bobbi Brown, but 2 different moisturizers, one for day and one for night. The Night cream has been discontinued and I really love it. So bummed. I also use an anti-aging serum under the moisturizer, a C&E fereulic serum. There are so many now that are cheaper than the one I started out with. I can’t tell the difference, really, now that I have sampled a couple. And the percentage of ingredients are the same.

i started using Clinique Take the Day Off cleanser. It does leave my face feeling more moisturized. And for lips, Burt’s Bees lip balm.

DD started watching the Hot and Flashy chick, Angie, on you tube. There is a website or blog, I think too. I’ll try to find it. She recommends a lot of products for over 50 women, and is pretty good with makeup tips. Worth watching a few of her videos for some tips.

I’m sure a lot of people will chime in with some other recommendations.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 5 years ago

Boomsilk by Cindy Joseph. You can order it online. It is for your face and whole body. Wonderful stuff!!! You can use Boom10 at checkout and save 10 percent on order. Please read up on it. Great ingredients and lets your skin breathe.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked sis2two
  • 5 years ago

Rhizo, I tried using coconut oil and it makes me hungry! Love coconut.

I use Eucerin Q10 with a little bit of vaseline on my drier areas.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked eld6161
  • 5 years ago

Walnut, have you had your thyroid function tested lately? Dry skin is a symptom of low thryroid.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked sjerin
  • 5 years ago

I agree with sjerin, especially because you say it just started. At the advise of my DH’s doctor, we started taking Krill Oil. We buy 1000 mg capsule and within a couple of weeks, our skin was no longer dry. My DH’s hands were like sandpaper. Literally, I’m not exaggerating and it was completely gone. It also helps with athritis.

• 5 years ago

My skin is dry. I started using in shower moisturizer which really helps. I also use oil based face wash now. Last one I got at Trader Joes. Trying the coconut oil at night, especially on my feet. I also use vasaline on my feet sometimes. My problem, besides aging, is that I love hot showers. I've tried to turn it down some but it just feels better hot on my aching body.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Kathsgrdn
  • 5 years ago

I don't use moisturizer, day or night. I don't use sunscreens and my make-up is always water based. My skin only gets dry after a day of wind /sun at the beach or when I am riding etc. in the foothills. Then I experience the feeling the OP describes.

My solution is to wash/cleanse my face with Abolene on those days. It's what is used to remove theatrical make-up. It cleans and moisturizes at the same time. it is also rinsable so I am not left with that slimy or coated feeling.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked wildchild2x2
  • 5 years ago

baby oil does a good job.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked foggyj2
  • 5 years ago

Probably the first thing your doctor will tell you is to drink more water. You do need the blood tests but they should also include things that are fairly common deficiencies like B, D, sometimes C and some minerals. If you clean your face in the shower or bath it could be the rest of your skin is dry and you have not noticed. The second suggestion from my doctor was to only clean myself using a cleanser soap or what ever either every other day or every three days. I know his horrified someone when it was mentioned recently but it helped. It was summer and my skin was starting to bleed where it was cracked. I was gardening heavily and it was not unknown for me to take up to four showers each day. If you must have a bath or shower use lukewarm/tepid water only. No soap or other cleanser. Many of the things to ward off aging are actually minor skin peels so you need to avoid them.

Not something my doctor or anyone told me but gently rubbing my face in a circular motion will bring the oils that lubricate skin closer to the surface helping with the dryness.

• 5 years ago

forewarning..its expensive but I really liked using Drunk Elephant's Protini last winter. I think someone on this forum recommended it. I found it at Sephora. I also recommend Neutrogena's lip balm.

I developed dry skin recently (I'm 40-something) and my thyroid test was normal. I was later tested by a rheumatologist for Sjogren's and was positive. Apparently its not uncommon to develop around this age.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Jennifer_in_KS
  • 5 years ago

My Primary Care doctor recommends coconut oil. You can buy a huge jar of it next to oils in the grocery store for around $5.00. I pretty much use that on legs and arms, sometimes face and neck. I also like Aveeno.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked georgysmom2
  • 5 years ago

I buy the tub of Eucerin for very dry compromised skin. I use it on my face and feet. Planning to get my thyroid checked.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked lisa_fla
  • 5 years ago

I agree with the increase your water advice. I am not normally into drinking water just for the sake of water as in the 6 to 8 glasses a day thing but it really does make a difference if you are out in the elements. Especially if you are sweating during an activity.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked wildchild2x2
  • 5 years ago

I'll add another vote for coconut oil. And just as Imddrno suggested, it's a relatively large jar in the grocery cooking oils aisle. A little goes a long way - no need to gob it on.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
  • 5 years ago

I was recommended Eucerin by my dermatologist. I just started using it, so no verdict in, yet.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked artemis_ma
  • 5 years ago

CeraVe in the big fat tub. I like it for all over moisturizing.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked mamapinky0
  • 5 years ago

Two things about coconut oil.............if you are going to try it, do get the large jar. I bought a smaller one the first time, and it's difficult getting your hands in, particularly when you get to the end. The other thing is, it's in solid form but if kept in a very warm place, it will liquify and then solidify when it gets cooler again. Not really a problem, but just saying. drno/akaGeorgysmom.

P.S. P.C. doc. says the best time to moisturize is right after you get out of shower when pores are open.

• 5 years ago

My vote is coconut oil, hands down. A little goes a long way and works better than anything I have tried.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Terry
  • 5 years ago

lots of good advice here, but i would not use vaseline or anything petroleum based. use can also try olive oil. also think about your diet. eat good fats, olive oil, coconut oil, avocados etc... these help keep your skin moisturized.

also, check with your doctor, especially if this is a sudden onset., could be many reasons, best to find out.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked sprtphntc7a
  • 5 years ago

I buy and use the real Udder Cream from our Tractor Supply store for dry skin.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked lindaohnowga
  • 5 years ago

Baby oil if you just want to put grease on your face....? I use L'Oreal RevitaLift Anti-Wrinkle Concentrate. Not saying it works...but it's not greasy & is still "on" my face when I wake up. :0)

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked nicole___
  • 5 years ago

@ rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7: Haven’t changed diet, medications, etc. This is one reason I am so puzzled about this situation. How do you warm the coconut oil, please.

@OutsidePlaying: Thank you for the reference to the YouTube videos. I watch a couple of them. One I am really intrigued with is the one for neutral eye makeup and red lips, will not use the red lips, but was impressed with her selections for the neutral eye.

@sjerin and sprtphntc7a: I have taken thyroid medication for years. I have wondered if it needs to be adjusted and plan to ask my doctor when I see him in early October.

@lukkiirish: I, too, take Krill Oil.

@maifleur01 and watchmelol: I do drink water – around 8 – 10 glasses each day. Started using tepid water for showers quite some time ago. Also, learned not to use the anti-aging products for the very fact that you mentioned – skin peeling and leaving flaky skin behind.

@Jennifer_in_KS: Thank you for naming the products that worked for you last winter. I will seriously considering using them.

@mamapinky0: I have been using the CeraVe in the big tub for quite some time. At first it was doing well, but now it is not.

This is such a great, responsive forum. To all of those mentioning coconut oil. I stopped using it months ago and really don’t know why. I have some and will put some on my face immediately after posting this message. And thank you to all others for your recommendations, Eucerin, baby oil, etc. These recommendations will be so helpful.

• 5 years ago

Coconut oil can cause break outs with some people so just be aware. You can try jojoba oil or castor oil.

Has the humidity in your area changed? We've been getting a lot of rain lately and my skin has been enjoying the moisture in the air. :) Last winter was so dry my hands cracked. This has never happened to me before. So check the weather reports and see what they say. :)

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Hareball
  • 5 years ago

I 2nd the CeraVe. My son was recommended that by the dermatologist for dry skin from eczema and from acne treatments. Although we buy it in the tub, you can try a small tube to see if it will work for you. Even if it doesn't help with your face, you can still use on your body...so no loss.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked always1stepbehind
  • 5 years ago

WalnutCreek part of aging is that various parts of the body including oil glands do not release as much oil as they did in the past. What the oil does is to put a small protective layer on the skin to keep it from drying. The various things people use work the same way. Some oils have larger particles because of what they are made from and can clog pores. The grocery store isle can be a place to look for food grade oils to try. If you do not like them you can use for other purposes.

A suggestion besides the good one of using after showering which does not address the non-showering days is to splash your face repeatedly first with lukewarm water then with cooler water to close any open pores. After you dry then put on the oil. Wait a few minutes then blot the face with a tissue. You may have to repeat this several times as excess oil moves to the surface. My face especially in the now oily area next to my nose releases an amazing amount of oil. I now try not to use anything in the lower portion of my nose.

• 5 years ago

Talk to your pharmacist. They learn how to make skin cream in pharmacy school. They are all based on whipped petroleum jelly (Vaseline) and have different additives and fragrances.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked dchall_san_antonio
  • 5 years ago

Ugh, my house humidifier is off, so I'm feeling dried out too at the moment. My hands are bearing the brunt of it though.

For face, I am another who swears by vaseline after years of trying more expensive products and having them not work as well. A few weeks ago, in a thread about dry eye, someone here said that you can put vaseline all around your eyes and it's quite safe, if not soothing. That really does work!

Coconut oil smells good, but that's distracting for me and it drives me nuts to use it facially. On a positive note, coconut oil is the ONLY thing DH has found that fixes up his facial eczema.

About the only commercial lotion we use in our house is unscented baby aveeno. The ped recommended it for DD's face when she was a baby and we've all switched over to it since. It's not heavy and sticky like the regular aveeno, and it works very well.

Anyhow, that's what works for us here.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked quasifish
  • 5 years ago

Years ago, my dermatologist recommended CeraVe.. I usee the thinner moisturizer for my face and the thicker cream for 'all over' after bathing. Oddly, CeraVe irritates my DH's face. He tolerates Aveno Daily Moisturizing Lotion.

I haven't bathed daily in years. I used to use plain glycerin soap , but have decided to use something a little 'stronger' -- currently a bar of white Dial soap.

It must be fun to work at Proctor & Gamble. I picture tons of petroleum jelly being piped into a dozen different huge vats, to be altered very slightly and marketed as different brands.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked chisue
  • 5 years ago

@Hareball: We have had rainy weather and high humidity for several weeks.

@dchall_san_antonio: Never thought about talking to my pharmacist about this. What a good idea.

As stated previously, the CeraVe has not been working for me the last few weeks, despire putting it on day and night.

As stated previously, the CeraVe has not been working for me the last few weeks, despite putting it on day and night.

• 5 years ago

I have a strong sense of smell..........I use LouAna coconut oil (get it at Walmart) and it doesn't have much of a smell at all.

• 5 years ago

I have had dry skin all my life. I used to use Revlon Ultima night cream which was expensive but then it was discontinued. So I used vaseline for a while until I found Mary Kay night cream in a tube which probably contains petroleum jelly. I wear it all the time. I have used vaseline on my eyelashes since high school. A girlfriend told me about it. I have never used mascara and this worked. My daughter is astounded I have no wrinkles around my eyes and she does at 25 years younger. I attribute this to daily vaseline on my lashes since I was 16.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked lily316
  • 5 years ago

Virgin coconut oil smells of coconut...refined does not

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked mamapinky0
  • 5 years ago

I think we have to stay on top of our skin and it’s changing conditions more and more as we age. Nothing really prepares us for this except personal experience. It seems like you wake up and look in the mirror one day and realize you need to change up whatever it is you’ve been using or doing. Gah! You read about it and know it is going to happen but nothing really prepares you.

And we have to deal with all these different stages. I was rocking along, perfectly happy with my makeup and skin care routine for about the last 10 or so years until last year and then it seemed like my skin demanded more.

So I bathe twice daily and have for a long time because I exercise and sweat a lot when I work outside. I use Curel Unscented body lotion and a foot cream. Every time. Face the same. I moisturize as soon as I get out of the shower. I use a serum first then the moisturizer. I tried CereVe eye cream because it’s cheaper than what I have been using, but it didn’t do the job for me. Eyelids, especially under eye, were still way too dry. I have enough samples to try so am good for a while. Bobbi Brown eye repair is very good so I may be using that in the long run, especially at night.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 5 years ago

A dermatologist will tell you that baby oil( mineral oil) and Vaseline are not good for the face. The skin care that I currently use is by Paula's Choice and I can tell you that it has helped my skin so much! I have dry skin with slight roscecea on my cheeks. Their customer service is so helpful in helping to select products for your particular skin. Also as I previously mentioned, Boomsilk is so hydrating and it is what I use when my skin is extra dry, particularly in the winter months. It's very rich and it does not take much. As I have gotten older, I really pay attention to what I'm using on my skin. Whatever you put on your skin ends up in your bloodstream and eventually your liver. So I like great ingredients with no fragrance added. Hopes this helps.

• 5 years ago

Depends on your dermatologist what they will or will not recommend. Some do suggest the Vaseline and mineral oil. It seems like each one as pet products that they like or discourage. No matter what the suggestions if they do not work for you try something different.

• 5 years ago

WalnutCreek, since I use such a small amount, I warm it up between the palms of my hands.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • 5 years ago

Mary Kay night cream, the dark pink like Vaseline stuff, is great for the feet, especially the heal area and for chapped skin. it is awesome for those!

I've been out for some time now and need to find someone local who sells it. thx for the reminder!

a small amount goes a long way and it lasts me for years.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked desertsteph
  • 5 years ago

I agree about the Mary Kay night cream which is like a classy vaseline. It's the only MK product I use and found it because I was awarded a basket of products at an event years ago. So I have a local lady who sends me two tubes every few months. I think it's about $28 for the two and it does last a long time.

I haven't tried the Boom Silk but the Boomsticks are the only cosmetics I use. Love them. It's like wearing no makeup. They last a long time too which is good because they aren't cheap.

• 5 years ago

Lily, do you think the Boomsticks would work well for really dry skin? Thanks.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Bluebell66
  • 5 years ago

I use the Boomsticks as well and I love them!!! They are perfect for dry skin which is what led me to them and the fact I wanted to simplify things. There is a stick that you can use to moisturize your face, lips, and great for heels. And the other two are great as well. There is one that is used as blush and lipstick and another that is a good highlighter for eye lids and anywhere u want a touch of glimmer. Other than my foundation and mascara, they are all that I wear. And they last a long time.

• 5 years ago

Thanks, sis2two! I appreciate the feedback.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Bluebell66
  • 5 years ago

I use Nivea soft. The women in our Beauty department cringe when I tell them what I use, but my skin feels good. And I don't think it's damaged my face at all. :)

• 5 years ago

I'm one of those lucky gals with aging skin and still gets pimples. I use Oil of Olay- I love the Fresh Effects series because it's good with the pimples and keeping my skin hydrated and nice, but it's become difficult to find around here so I stocked up when I could. I've started supplementing in with the Regenerist series, and I like that a lot too.

I like a bit of coconut oil for when my skin is really dry in the winter because it works so well, but I have to use it sparingly otherwise it makes me break out. Just a tiny pea-sized dab warmed up with my hands is plenty to spread around.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked beesneeds
  • 5 years ago

Bluebell....I have really dry skin too and love the Boomsticks, although after I wash my face I use the MK night cream(all day too). I touch up with the moisturizing stick if I'm out and about. The glimmer one I use on my lids and the other on my cheeks. I used to use blush but never since I got these a year and a half ago. And I'm still on my first three and ordered three more .

• 5 years ago

None of the above. Unfortunately I have very odd (and naturally very dry, thin skin with rosacea). Of course my many allergies do not help.

But basically it is what works for you.

I can't use most botanicals, anything with any form of acid/retinol etc. (this includes lactic acid), niacinamide, evening primose oil - the list goes on (and includes oils). Anything "natural" is a nightmare as are anti-aging products. Sun screen is a must (I used to have (and still do thanks to Goldwell colour) auburn hair and burn in a nanosecond. Finding one I can use that is not drying is hard.

As a result, I always have a back up (or two) and am constantly on the search for when, not if, what I use is discontinued or reformulated using one of the above mentioned ingredients. Unfortunately I have to use high end products, but at least they are on the low end of the high cost spectrum due to the ingredients that I can't use.

I wear makeup that is oil based. Finding colours that suit is hard due to high levels of body acidity - most products turn either hot pink or bright orange on me - neither colour being one I suit.

The best advice I can offer is to try samples but know going in what will absolutely not work for you - this will help prevent unintended flare ups. My skin is pretty quick to react so I don't need too many samples.

I try to always buy products at the stores that know me and my skin - once a cosmetics salesperson has seen what happens when they try certain products on my skin (and they are honest) they are horrified. Until recently I had 2 such sales people. Unfortunately, they are no longer working. I have become a very informed consumer and not by choice.

The really "funny" part is that after I pile a tonne of stuff on my face that results in a natural look, people tell me I have good skin - even at my age. No I don't it is the makeup!

I hope you find something that alleviates your dry skin problem. I always read threads like these hoping against hope that I will discover something I can use. One thing you might try doing is using a moisturizing toner, followed by a hydrating serum/cream, followed by a rich cream. The hydrating serum/cream being the main layer that really helps. I generally have to use one product from each of several lines.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked eccentric
  • 5 years ago

I used Complex 15 for years and loved it. I haven't found a replacement yet. I seem to remember some posts about natural oils that were causing laundry problems, I think it was white spots. Does anyone remember the offending agent?

Eccentric, you're not the only one, lipstick tends to change to oranges on me!

• 5 years ago

lily - my sister has a MK lady I think. I emailed her recently to ask since she just lives down the road about 2 miles.

will have to look up this Boom Silk and other stick. I do have a problem with dry skin here in AZ and dry lips!

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked desertsteph
  • 5 years ago

I have extremely sensitive skin. Most department store brands make my skin go red and itchy. Or break out!

A good friend turned me on to Perricone MD. It is expensive but works miracles. It also lasts a long time.

Same friend also introduced me to Murad products so I’ve been adding their products to my regimen.

Go to a Sephora and ask about those products, they are generally well trained in the different lines.

Oh, and I had an issue earlier this year that caused hives on my face and hands(turns out I have oral allergy syndrome and had to give up eating certain fruits). I was told to use Skinfix products. It was the only thing that soothed the hives. I now use their cleanser. Just saw they did a qvc sale so will be buying some more through the website.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)