SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pepperonipizza

Kitchen design re-post

pepperonipizza
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Folks, I am re-posting my question from earlier today but in a more organized fashion. If you have already commented, I still have your comment.

I am remodeling the kitchen. I have 2 basic designs.

Constraints:

I do not want to see appliances from the entry. I do not want the view of kitchen appliances to be the first impression of my home.

I cannot re-position the sink or the cooktop

I am not willing to give up the wall ovens - I have back problems

I am not willing to get a paneled fridge

Design #1 (above) places the refrigerator and double-ovens (on the right wall in the layout diagram)

within sight of the entry hall and living room.

It has an island with the sink in it.

The sink is centered on the cooktop behind it.

The island provides 2 feet of counter-space on each side of the sink (which is in the island).

It provides enough room to seat 3-4 people.

There are 5-7 feet of upper cabinets.

There is room for 1 pantry on the right wall at the end of the kicthen and additional island space, or 2 pantry cabinets on the back wall of the kitchen facing the entry, with a shorter island.

From the entry, you would see the refrigerator, the double-ovens, and the pantries.

The sink is centered on the cooktop behind it.

Design #2 (above) places the appliances on a wall (on the "top wall" in the layout diagram)

facing the back of the house, where they cannot be seen from the entry.

It has a long peninsula with a sink at the end of it.

The sink is centered on the cooktop behind it, leaving only a few inches on of counterspace on one side.

There is enough room to seat 5 people.

There are 15 feet of upper cabinets.

It has room for 2 pantry cabinets on the right wall.

The only thing you can see from the entry is pantry fronts and a big sweep of upper cabinets above the peninsula. The sink is still centered on the cooktop behind it.

The trade-off is the loss of space on the side of the sink nearest the living room.

***Do the additional upper cabinets and ability to hide the appliances outweigh the loss of the 2 feet on the side of the sink nearest the living room?

***Or is it more important to have those 2 feet on the side of the sink, even if I give up 10 feet of upper cabinets and place the appliances in full view of the entry hall?

Comments (71)