SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bardzil

Correct way to flash a window? contractor doesn't seem to know

bardzil
5 years ago

Our contractor made a huge mistake in flashing our windows. He installed the wrong size z flashing above our windows and doors and now the trim won't fit.

It looks like he is going to need to remove the siding (hardie board and batten) and reinstall the z flashing. Since we are redoing things, we want to make sure the window is flashed correctly. Here are my questions:

1. Is the only way to fix this is to remove the affected siding so that the correct z flashing can be installed? Our contractor is pushing back hard on doing this (because it is a lot of work), but my husband and i don't see any alternative way to ensure the window is flashed correctly with the correct size z flashing.

2. Should we put on another layer of Tyvek over the house in the areas where siding is removed since the original layer is now full of nail holes (and may get damaged when the siding is removed)?

3. What is the proper way to flash the windows? What is the order of installation for the tyvek and metal flashing? What else is used to properly flash a window? we have reason to be believe it was not done correctly the first time and would like to get it right with the redo.

thanks!

Comments (31)