SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigjim24

ocd gc doesn't like tile around window, help me please.

bigjim24
12 years ago

GC started tiling today and does not like he tile going up and around the garden window casing. He thinks it looks too busy with too many cut marks. He suggested we take it down tomorrow and paint.

I can't get an overall pic of the window b/c the light is too strong. But here are 2 on each side of the window. The sill is soapstone. Stained glass inserts on both sides. My nerves are frayed. Will the backsplash nightmare never end?!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (61)

• francoise47
    12 years ago

I'll side with your GC. I think that the tile going all the way up that band around the window looks busy. But your kitchen is looking really good!

• User
    12 years ago

I prefer it as is....tile going up, up, up :) It looks.... fancier.... to me. :) (I am assuming the tile cuts are even on either side of the window? If not, it might look odd. If they are even, keep it!)

• Related Discussions

This painted kitchen doesn't work for me, but I'm not sure why

Q

Comments (28)
    My cabinets were really white, but they were not a shiny laminate white. The cabinets had a baked on finish and were high end Haas, with a flat finish that was guaranteed not to yellow. The granite - Tropical Brown - has flecks of black, brown, white and gold which helped pull the colors together. The hardwood floors were supposed to be darker and more a brown tone, but that didn't happen. However, that picture was taken early-on, and the floors did darken to a nice patina. colorcrazy hit the nail on the head. I think if the ceiling in your first photo had white moulding, the cabinet would looked "married" to something instead of just being stuck on the wall. I love the kitchen in your second inspirational photo.
    ...See More

Please help me fix bad sink window design decision!

Q

Comments (30)
    Even if you do decide to do the basket weave there, I think you will still find it lacking unless you have a window stool as that is what is really throwing it off for me. To fix it since you have very little space due to the crank, you might be able to build a faux window stool, but you'll need to remove the trim around the window no matter what as it is common for it to rest on the window stool. You could use a think piece of plywood, maybe 1/8-1/4" - not sure how much space you have and then rest it on a molding strip that would form the lip of of the molding and then trim the edge out in a think strip of molding. Going to show you a picture of how generally the pieces are put together. A true stool is at a minimum 1/2" thick when it rests on the window frame and I don't think you have the space. I think you can get the trim strip to adhere to the marble with construction adhesive, but realize this will ruin the marble in that area. You will need to remove and redo the casing on the sides though for the right propertions so it looks correct resting on the stool. I don't think you need to add an apron under the faux stool as the picture has it. That is often forgone when using tile or other materials as a backsplash.
    ...See More

Uh-oh.... GC doesn't use contracts?

Q

Comments (29)
    Lauraxx -- in this pair, it seems you are the one uncomfortable with not having a contract. As others have suggested, then (not meaning to sound nasty): you do it. Just print up your understanding of the work you've agreed to and ask the contractor to sign it. If he balks at that, seems uncomfortable or refuses, seems insulted or whatever -- well then you've got a situation to evaluate. If he has so many happy customers around with nary a contract in sight, perhaps he'll feel insulted. But you aren't asking for anything untoward. In the end he'll sort of have to make his peace with your "terms" and sign it (or negotiate misunderstandings first). If he won't, that's a pretty illustrative situation to find yourself in. What would it be like if he wouldn't respond to your needs in the event of a problem? As a test-case, this non-problem should be telling. Stick to your guns: if this situation makes you uncomfortable you have every right (with ample precedent) to want to alter it. Not for an instant does this imply you suspect there will be problems, that you harbor concerns about the GC, etc. It means you feel uncomfortable; it is your right to feel comfortable, and your GC likely is the very first to want to agree with that!
    ...See More

Grr... builder doesn't like my kitchen layout

Q

Comments (66)
    I really like palimpsest's plan. It has nice symmetry and great function, and will look very nice from the front door. One of the things I do not like about many of the plans posted is that the range is not directly across the aisle from the prep counter. You want to be able to just pivot and access the range, not pivot and step. You might have to have a filler between freezer and pantry wall to ensure the freezer will open all the way. It also keeps the cleanup off the island, which I agree is very important. If you GIS "kitchen sink on wall" there are lots of lovely options, and here is an article we trot out from time to time with lots of examples: http://www.thingsthatinspire.net/2010/04/kitchen-sinks-on-walls.html. You could even have no uppers and just do a huge arched mirror that would reflect your DR window (slider?), if that's a nice view. It's a cheap way to "fake" a window :) Ballard has some nice ones that look like arched, paned windows too.
    ...See More
  • babushka_cat
    12 years ago

i think i would prefer the tile stop at the bottom edge of the cabs and not go up the full way around. but it is a personal choice and you should do what you want to do, not what the GC wants.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Hi CelticNE,

I think it looks great. Does your tile guy need to
    see other images?
    Here are a few that might sway his worries.
    ~bp

tile around window

Tile lower with grantie sils

• NatalieChantal
    12 years ago

I think the tile all around looks great. You have several different materials/patterns going on in that area, between the counters, the cabinets, the stained glass, the sink, the window, the backsplash, and the trim, so keeping each piece consistent is important. Having that whole wall in tile achieves that - it is a beautiful backdrop to the rest of the design elements. Chopping it up into visual blocks of tile and paint, IMO, would look tacky against your other meticulous choices.

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

See.. I think this looks like a kitchen in some institution.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• chitown_remodel
    12 years ago

I absolutely love the tile going around and above the window. I plan to do this in my own kitchen.

If YOU love it then keep it!

• plllog
    12 years ago

Me too. I like the tile.

If it's your idea to change, go for it, but don't do it to suit anyone else!

• holligator
    12 years ago

We agonized over the same decision, but we are VERY glad we went with tile all the way around the window. I think it looks much more finished and appealing. This can't compete with most of the kitchens Boxerpups posted, but here's another pic for you anyway (if nothing else, mine gives an example of the tile next to stained cabs)...

• pence
    12 years ago

not only does it look good, but if he takes it out the sides of the cabinets will look scraped up where the tile or thinset was touching the cabinets. leave it alone. YOU are incharge not him.

• annettacm
    12 years ago

mercy, what's funny is I loved the picture you posted! :) which I think is the opposite of what you had intended. It's all very subjective, I think. Good luck, Celtin... I, too, like the tile all around.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I love all the examples shown, including mercy's, lol.... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and your eye will be beholding every day. Your gc can get over if from afar....

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ae2ga, I do like it. Thanks. At this point there are so many people here it doesn't feel like my kitchen either.

aloha2009, thanks for that vote of confidence. I think I will live with it for a while.

artemis78, I think that is his issue b/c the room is not 90 degrees. There will have to be some shim tiles. And himself does not like that. And please post pix. Thanks!

pricklypearcactus, Thank and the tile will go all the way up to the ceiling. He just did not like what he was doing and had a wee bit of a meltdown today. He will rip it out tomorrow or will continue. Based on my decision.

mercymygft and francoise47, I did try to tell him that there would be green herbs in colorful pots on the sill. Perhaps that would make it less industrial? I think after this reno they will put me in an institution :)

dee850, sjmitch, cat_mom, chitown_and plllog thanks so very much for your input :) When I show him this tomorrow perhaps he will not shoot me ;)

lolauren, it is a wee bit off, but with everything else going on in this kitchen, unless you were here tonight imbibing in adult victuals and adult beverages, and scrutinizing this aspect - I don't think anyone would notice.

babushka_cat, I appreciate that but I do not know what the heck I am doing here. Just not trying my best not to screw it up. Before I found this forum I was going to do rocks for the BS for Pete's sake. What was I ever thinking?

Hey boxer, my GC needs a 2X4 whack on the side of his head, not pix. See adult libations above. I had 2 tonight. I did show him some great pix from this forum that looks awesome. His main concern is the small distance between the cabs and the casing. As always, your pix are an invaluable inspiration. You continue to be the schizzle!

I think you nailed it here NatalieChantal! You are the schizzle too!

• enduring
    12 years ago

I agree with most, that it is lovely as it is! He has done a very nice job on both sides of the window. As others have said, I agree that the change in material could make it look more busy than it does now, if that is what your GC's concern is.

With regards to the institutional look, I totally disagree. I think when you have the warm woods and interesting light fixtures it looks like a home. I have worked in institutions all my adult life. "Institutional" looks are hard and non porous. Please keep the beautifully installed tile as it is.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

"Institutional"? LOL. Find a pic of your great-grandma's kitchen sometime.

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

I vote to keep it. Those small areas around windows can be a real PITA to paint. The important thing is that you like it. If you still like it in the morning, thank your contractor for his input, but tell him you're keeping it.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Tile!! I plan the same in my kitchen. Breaking up the space with a horizontal line separating two different materials would be distracting here.

Tell him fancy designers refer to a backsplash tiled in this manner a "eurosplash." Apparently it's very European to tile in this manner. Chic.

As an aside, thanks for giving Holligator a reason to post that lovely kitchen again. :)

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Your pic was my inspiration for this idea holligator. Thank you. I fell in love with yours too! Yours does not have a lot of space between the casing and the cabs either. And I think it looks great!

Boxer's 11th pic down is what the GC is talking about. I'm not liking the look of tile and paint around the window. There is no paint anywhere else on that wall at all. I tried to take a better pic this am before the sun streams in.

Funny annettacm and dianalo! I like mercy's pic too. Well, except for the rug.

Thanks for that ammo pence. i wasn't thinking about damaging the cabs, great point.

Thanks enduring. I'm going to start out this morning by telling what a great install job he did with the tile so far. It does look like home.

I'm going to do just that flwrs_n_co. And I do like it. Even better than I did yesterday. IMO ANY trim work is a PITA to paint!

Tile it is breezy. I can't wait to see your space! Although I think if I mention Eurosplash he will give me that look. You know the look which clearly indicates I am nuts. Perhaps we should keep that thought between us :)
    BTW marcolo, my great grandma's kitchen didn't have room to be institutional. I was a very tiny bowling alley shaped cooking challenge. But cook she did :)

I'm going to take WhiteRiverSooner's cue today - just not wine. My sister and some girlfriends are coming over and there will be frozen Margarita's and frivolity :)

• holligator
    12 years ago

Your pic was my inspiration for this idea holligator. Thank you. I fell in love with yours too! Yours does not have a lot of space between the casing and the cabs either. And I think it looks great!

Well, in that case, you MUST keep it! :)

Seriously, though, my tile contractor was very, very hesitant about my plans to go around the window. He even suggested laying the tiles over the window vertically as an alternative. I still haven't figured that one out. I guess it's just not that common these days to have the field tile continue to the ceiling, so it seemed odd to him (most of the pictures boxerpups posted are far from "common" kitchens!). Once the whole job was finished and the grout was in, he thought it looked fabulous and agreed that it was most definitely the right choice. A few months have gone by since mine went up, and I like the tiles around the window even more now than I did when they were first installed.

Don't let him talk you out of what you love! He won't have to live with it.

• holligator
    12 years ago

Oh, and I forgot to say...I love your Celtic knot knobs!!!

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

Tell your tile guy that one should never judge the way tile looks until it's grouted. (Then duck and run. lol)

I am not usually a big fan of an entire kitchen wall being tiled (for me, not anyone else) but I think your tile around the window looks great! Seriously, not busy at all; I think strips of paint there would look busier actually unless they were the exact shade of the tile. Your kitchen is beautiful... love your cabinets!

• hellonasty
    12 years ago

Don't change it. Finish the tile. It looks great! Hang tough!

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

Celtin... I'm glad you are happy with your choice to go all the way around with tile. All these decisions are so subjective.... what you like, I may not and vice versa. What is important is that YOU are happy. Actually sometimes I think we may rely too heavily on the opinions here on the forum, myself included, and not just go with our own gut feelings on a particular design issue. I just think we are all SO afraid to make a mistake that we will regret down the road, which is understandable considering the $$$ that are going into our new kitchens.

Enjoy your new kitchen, it's lovely!

• User
    12 years ago

It looks wonderful. He did a great job so far and is an artist. Hopefully he will like the compliments. Your kitchen is coming along beautifully. v

• Daicey
    12 years ago

So glad to see this post!! I wanted to do the same thing, tile around the windows!
    CeltinNE I think it looks great!!

I'm so glad to see yours & Holiigator's they both look great!

• User
    12 years ago

The tile will look GREAT!

• artemis78
    12 years ago

@celtinNE, here are some photos of ours.

The first is entitled "How Not To Cut Tiles," and you can see a very, very crappy sliver at the edge of the window sill (and another running immediately below the window moulding horizontally, though this one doesn't bother me). This particular sliver was unavoidable because we were wrapping two corners and had the challenge of a wall that sloped both top to bottom and side to side (yay old houses...)---if it looks like the slivers get smaller going up the wall, it's because they do! So it worked out that to compensate and still keep the tiles looking "normal" throughout most of the backsplash, someplace in the kitchen was going to get a weird crazy sliver. We chose this spot as the least conspicuous. We were able to avoid them in the other spots by creatively wrapping corners---basically, cutting tile such that it didn't always split exactly evenly (a 6" tile might be split with 5" and 2" pieces wrapping the corner, instead of the 5"/1" pieces that math would call for). Our ground rules were no more than an inch difference if we fudged the numbers, no slivers or cuts of less than 1.5" except for this one, and tile edges that always lined up whole-half in a classic brick pattern so your eye wouldn't spot the difference. The second photo is the broader view of that corner.

Even with a truly awful sliver/tile cut like this one, it's less noticeable in the bigger picture, and the reality is that this corner is virtually always filled with drying dishes or bottles or such, so you don't see the spot most of the time.

In contrast, your tile cuts are what I'd call ideal cuts---almost half a tile, and the cut edges are up against window or cabinet so you won't see any imperfections from cutting them. (This was a big problem with ours, partly b/c we were using a tile cutter from the library so no clean cuts like a pro would likely get.)

So---keep them! They look great! :) Incidentally, we also contemplated going all the way up our windows---didn't in our case because we ran the same height splash all the way around the room, and one side of our window is all moulding so it looked a little wonky (the side you can't see has about two feet between window moulding and the wall), but I love the look in general.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Seeing the new pix cements it even further. It is seriously pretty!

Artemis - even after knowing what you were pointing out, I think it looks wonderful ;) It would not bother me in the least. I really like your wall color too....

The margaritas sound awesome and if you have a few too many, he will be more scared to go against your wishes in the a.m., lol...

• ptamom
    12 years ago

The tiled wall looks very period craftsman era. It looks great. Stick to your guns.

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OMG holligator! Mine wanted to do the same thing. Run the tiles vertically. He's actually come up with some creative suggestions to talk me out of this. I'm relieved to hear your guy liked it when it was completed. Did you match your grout to the tile? It almost appears seamless except for the shading variations in the tile. I love that clean look. Did you put a window treatment up on that window? I'm thinking leaving mine naked. The knobs took me a long time to decide on. Thanks.

The old duck and run strategy, northcarolina. Love it. One of the reason I did not want to paint there is that The other walls are a sagey green. It would not look right in that space. Even more not right to paint that little space a different color.

Thanks so much lazygardens.

Hanging tough, hellonasty. Thanks.

You are so right, mercy. I am afraid of making mistakes because this is such a big investment and emotional dream for me. One of the reasons that I love this forum is the very fact that there are such diverse tastes here. Lots of opinions, viewpoints, and options. Makes us see things differently than we normally would have. A very good thing.

He did do a great job with it, trailrunner. I did tell him that I loved it. I think he had his grumpy pants on b/c he was really not happy with it.

Be brave Daicey and do it if it works for your space. Post pics when you're ready, please. I'd love to see it.

If you hadn't pointed it out I would not have noticed artemis. Most rooms especially in older homes are not perfect 90 degree angles. That's why shims are the bomb! You did a great job of minimizing the issue. It looks great. And you are so right about the big picture.

Thanks dianalo, but not cemented, mortared :)

Here's an update:

He is tiling all the way up and around. He was not willing to take on a polite kitchen banshee on a mission. Especially one who had lots of pics and reasons why it would work, thanks to you all. That said, he could not live with the top 2 rows on top of the garden window. He did rip those out (carefully) and centered the lines with the top of the window. All the while muttering something about the 2 end pieces needing to die next to the cabs in unison. He refused to shim little pieces on the left side of the window.

So yes, life is good, at least for today in kitchen reno world. His wife stopped by this afternoon to pick something up and joined the girls for a margarita. BTW, she likes the tile up and around too. He declined saying that straight tile lines and tequila is never a good cocktail for a GC :)

I'll post pix tomorrow. Off to cook :) Because of your input and feedback, nobody killed anyone today. A good day :) Thanks so much everyone!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Celtin, Your vision remains the better idea.

• Fori
    12 years ago

I like it and it's a wonderful installation. It looks like the cabinets are plopped onto a wall of tile, as it should. It's nice to have someone OCD working for you, as long as he remembers he's working FOR you.

• dee850
    12 years ago

I think it looks fantastic. Great color choice, too. As fori said, it looks like the wall is completely tiled and the cabinets were installed over it.

And those stained glass cabinet doors are awesome!

• User
    12 years ago

Tiling and tequila for the watchers only ! LOL. I am glad to check back and find that " muttering" aside he met YOUR needs...good on for you . c

• holligator
    12 years ago

Yep, we tried to match the grout to the tile color. It ended up several shades lighter, but overall I'm happy with it. Before he grouted, I kind of grew fond of the darker outlines, so it probably seems lighter to me than it really is.

• gillycat
    12 years ago

I can see where he thinks it looks institutional (thinking public swimming pool change room ) because it goes all the way around
    HOWEVER because the cabinets are there it breaks that mental image almost immediately

By the way I do love your window niche

cannot wait to see the finished kitchen

• ideagirl2
    12 years ago

Ooh! Boxerpups!! Do you have any idea where that light green subway tile in your last photo (the white/soapstone/green tile kitchen) came from? I like!!!

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

"Newport Collection" by Walker Zanger
    I think it is the Sage Green shade
    http://www.walkerzanger.com/catalog/ecatalogl.php

• lala girl
    12 years ago

I think it looks wonderful! Finished and clean and also custom. Way too warm and fabulous for an institution.

I think once it is finished those narrow sides will disappear and you will be looking out that wonderful window anyway. If paint enters the story, it will be a distraction (like you said, where to start and stop). I think fewer changes in surfaces are almost always better. It is really looking amazing! Stay Strong :-)

• sayde
    12 years ago

I actually think we're seeing more and more fully tiled walls in kitchens. I have been kind of following it for a while because I liked the look and tiled to the ceiling behind my stove. I do think it has a kind of industrial/service kitchen look but that is intentional! One of my inspirations was a picture of Keith McNally's kitchen --definitely a working kitchen. There was also a gorgeous kitchen with tiled walls in the April House Beautiful and they said it was intended to look like a 1930's service kitchen. So you're right on trend! Love the look!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

That really looks great! I love the gentle tile. I think it provides a wonderful backdrop to the other elements and is pretty in its own right.

• boylanite2
    12 years ago

It is simply BEAUTIFUL! Great job!

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Warm and inviting! It looks wonderful with your cabs and ss. I can't wait to see the whole kitchen!

• celineike
    12 years ago

it looks so great! glad you got your way w the GC.. its really the better choice.
    your tile is cool too!!!

• lazydaisynot
    12 years ago

Just gorgeous! I really love your tile.

• oldbat2be
    12 years ago

Oh my! Love the tile with grout, please share colors.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

That's a Bosch, isn't it?

What color are you going to paint that unpainted board? White or beige?

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much dianalo. I can't believe I was originally going with a field stone rock backsplash there. It is gentle and there's plenty of other business going on in the kitchen that the BS really needed to fade.

Thanks so much boylanite2, lazydaisynot, flwrs_n_co and celineike for your kind words.

oldbat2be, the tile is Jeffery Court Irish Ice, color Cork. It was backordered for a long time and came in the wrong color and crackle. But with the help of my sister and GC we made it work somehow. The grout is bone. Didn't want dark, didn't want too light. I went with holligator here. My hero.

The Bosch cooktop weedmeister? Yup. 36" 5 element induction. Coming from a 25+ year old coil Tappen. Not s high end unit, but I am in love with it's responsiveness. Doing the yippee dance every doo dah day :) Painting the issues with BM Camouflage. Just bought a wee bit of a sample today.

• adel97
    12 years ago

An OCD GC is a good thing, it means he cares and wants to do a quality job. An OCD GC who listens and respectfully does what the TKO client wants, even if there's some muttering involved, is a GREAT thing. I had one of those too, muttering included.

Your backsplash looks AWESOME!