SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vervelife

Grr... builder doesn't like my kitchen layout

Sorry to revisit, and starting a new thread because new questions...

We met with our builder this morning, to go through the final changes before we sign contract on our custom home. I presented some changes to where plumbing lines / vents run because I've been working on the kitchen design. My husband gave me power to choose the kitchen layout and I've been working really hard on it. He had no objections and liked it until now.

The builder commented that the design was "terrible for resale value", not what everyone else is doing, etc etc. and now my husband has doubts about it. Honestly, so do I (I guess or I wouldn't be here).

Is seeing a refrigerator really a huge big deal? The builder says everyone likes to hide the refrigerator because it's "ugly". You don't want to see it when you walk in the house. I'm function over form and the fridge placement is where I wanted it so that my kids aren't traipsing through the kitchen while I'm cooking / prepping. It's really accessible from the greatroom, dining room, and outdoors on that end.

He also said that facing a wall while doing dishes is "really depressing" since I'll spend SO MUCH TIME there. He commented that my cleanup should be on the island, because that is how "everyone else" is doing it. Bottom line though, we hand-wash our pots, pans and cook daily (we rarely eat out). I don't want the dishes drying on the island. The dish rack is such an eyesore, plus my kids will just stack dirty cups in the sink and all around it (they are really young now, too young to load / unload dishwasher without climbing cabinets). It's my hill-to-die-on (so to speak) to have the dishes area OFF the island.

What say you GWers? Am I on the wrong path here entirely? Is this guy right? Would it be better if I switched the sink / refrigerator? I might be able to vent the pantry so that my freezer can go in there...

This is my current layout. I'm leaning toward the Verona double oven in 36" width, but it may turn into a single Capital 36" range instead. The wall ovens where L1 are just aren't in my budget because swing doors are necessary.

Overview of floor plan. Relevant - 10' ceilings throughout kitchen / dining area. Greatroom has 20' ceilings and the entire wall is windows to the ceiling. Tons of natural light even though there is not (currently) a window in the kitchen.

Blanks below if you want to play around with it. First a pullback, then zoomed on click.

Comments (66)