SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
setauketli

Living Room Makeover

setauketli
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Soliciting advice on living room makeover. The room has 2 south facing windows on either side of FP, and 2 east facing windows looking into a screen porch. The west wall is completely occupied by bookshelves. The TV is floating in front of them on a dresser, an arrangement that is not ideal design wise. The north wall has 2 doorways, an antique secretary in the corner, and a grey midcentury modern couch. We might nix the red basket chair. The room tends to be dark, and could benefit from spotlights of some kind.

Much of the furniture needs to be kept- specifically the secretary, DWR couch, grey couch, airplane style chairs and various end tables. The bookshelves can be reconfigured. The mantel can be redone. We are thinking of staining the floors a light color (which will match other rooms in the downstairs). We're also negotiable about replacing the rug. It's a wonderful Heriz, but is a bit overpowering. I'm also lobbying to remove the muntins in the windows. I think it looks very busy with all these grids. There's some resistance so let me know what you think. We definitely need to relocate the TV!

The room is 15'3 on the bookcase side and 20'5" on the fireplace side. The TV is 27" by 47." It can't go on the wall by the sunporch. We could incorporate it into the bookshelves, but the viewing distance would be farther, maybe too far. That leaves the fireplace wall and the couch wall. If on the FP wall, it would have to be hung low (no craning neck). BTW we don't actually use FP so we could hang it quite low. I'm not sure there's enough room to put it next to the FP. The problem with the couch wall is that the sofa would end up with its back to the FP, unless you place it perpendicular to TV (not ideal). Suggestions welcome!

Any thoughts on furniture arrangements, fireplace, bookshelf redo, colors, inspiration? Any advice would be deeply appreciated!

Comments (5)