SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
therustyone

AGT Finals, tonight!

Rusty
5 years ago

And the results tomorrow night. Will you be watching? I'm looking forward to it.

Rusty

Comments (44)

• lily316
    5 years ago

Yep. I don't want a singer to win except maybe the young Janis Joplin one. I like the Asian card guy.

Rusty thanked lily316
  • Related Discussions

AGT tonight, will you be watching?

Q

Comments (11)
    Hubs and I will be watching. Last week, the California Primary was on Tuesday, so our local NBC station showed election returns all evening. They shifted the new episodes of AGT and whatever-the-name-is-of-the-dancing-show to Thursday night. OK. Well, on Thursday night the local NBC station was airing the Stanley Cup game and it ran over, and then, of course, they had to show the interviews with the players, etc., and at 8:30 they finally switched to AGT - already in progress. So, we missed the first half hour!
    ...See More

AGT: The Champions tonight. . .

Q

Comments (8)
    Jackie has really 'grown up' since she was first on AGT, she was such a cute little girl. And she's beautiful now! Unlike many child entertainers, she just keeps getting better, IMHO, anyway. As for Sal, I didn't think his performance last night was his best, by any means, but I really do like him. He has a wonderful voice, he's good looking, (okay, so I'm a sucker for blue eyes) and has a very likeable stage presence. What's not to like? Although I guess his music genre probably appeals more to us "old folks", than the younger generations. I grew up with his kind of music. Rusty
    ...See More

AGT, The Finale!

Q

Comments (17)
    "I read somewhere that the winner gets $20,000 a year for 40 years." That would equal $800,000. "I think he got a lot of sympathy votes." Not a popular opinion, I'm sure, but I feel the same way. I also think that Ryan Niemiller got a lot of sympathy votes. I thought Ryan's first performance/audition was really funny, but I thought his performance in the finals relied too heavily on his "disabilities." If you're funny, you're funny no matter what you look like. Yes, you can incorporate jokes about any condition you may have, but his final performance was, to me, somewhat forced. There were others who, in my opinion, should have been in the final five instead of Ryan. By the way, when Kodi sang You Are The Reason in the semi-finals, I had never before heard the song, and when he first started singing, I thought it sounded like it could be an Ed Sheeran song. As soon as the show was over, I did a search, and found out the song is by Calum Scott -- he apparently sang it on Britain's Got Talent. Anyway, I do like Calum's version better, and I bought it and listen to it a lot. Kodi, to his credit, did use the same arrangement.
    ...See More

AGT finals last night

Q

Comments (19)
    Joann_fl, I have wondered the same thing. Seems like it almost has to be she is wearing everything in layers, It would have to be very thin light weight material that is strategically folded. Her constant movement and watching for the next 'outfit' would detract from noticing that she gets thinner as the act continues. She is the best quick change artist I've ever seen (not that I've seen very many), and I was fascinated the first time I saw her. But I doubt I'd be interested in watching her for more than a few minutes. And if my 'theory' is anywhere close to correct, her acts would be pretty limited as to length of time. I also thought she lacked personality. Rusty
    ...See More
  • tennessee_swift
    5 years ago

I’m looking forward to it. I haven’t been watching the semifinals. Does anybody know if those two Asian guys who make sounds with their stomachs made it through? I admit, they are a little funny but I wouldn’t want them to win.

Rusty thanked tennessee_swift
  • Rusty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

No, Tennessee, they didn't. I was surprised they even got past the first audition. I thought they were more disgusting than funny. Different strokes for different folks and all that, I guess.

I don't have a favorite this year. The three mentioned above are very good. I've got to admit, Janis Joplin type music is nothing I would ever listen to, but I don't have to like her music to realize that little girl is very talented! Same with the young man pictured above.

Do y'all participate in the voting? I'll base my votes on tonight's performances.

Rusty

• bpath
    5 years ago

By the time they get this far, I have no favorites, they are all so different and so amazing!

I only ever voted in the first season of Idol.

Rusty thanked bpath
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I can't wait!

Because we were out of town the last few weeks, I've only seen bits and parts of the semi finals (some watched on youtube), so I am really looking forward to the final tonight. I'm not even sure who all made it to the final.

My favorites are Brian King Joseph (young violinist) and Courtney Hadwin (Joplin style singer). They are both so very talented, but their stories pull at me too. Brian due to the nerve disease he has that will eventually rob him of his ability to play; his upbeat attitude is amazing and inspirational. Courtney is so shy and from what she's said somewhat of an outcast at her school. I can just imagine that all those people who didn't want to be her friend would love to be her friend now. I don't much care for Janis Joplin, but Courtney puts her own spin on
    the songs she sings and I don't find her to be anywhere near as screechy
    as Janis was.

I'd love it if they could be co-winners.

Oh, and I've never voted.

Rusty thanked DawnInCal
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

BTW, this discussion leads me to a question I've been pondering.

Both Courtney and Brian have either completed on other talent shows or performed professionally. Do you think shows like AGT should be limited strictly to amateurs or should professional performers be allowed to compete as well?

Much as I like these two, I feel that shows like this should be for amateurs who have never performed professionally before but who dream big. It seems like the pros have an edge up on the amateurs due to their past experience performing in front of live audiences.

Rusty thanked DawnInCal
  • nicole___
    5 years ago

I like them all! I do think...as Dawn mentioned....if they've won another competition, they're no longer amateurs. So why would they be allowed to compete? This show is about finding NEW talent!

Rusty thanked nicole___
  • phoggie
    5 years ago

I do not think I like the singers enough for an entire show but all of the others are amazing!!! I can not pick a winner...so much talent! They are all winners!

Rusty thanked phoggie
  • glenda_al
    5 years ago

Was there an elimination tonight? IF so who was it?

Rusty thanked glenda_al
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

I'm still waiting for it to start. 30 minutes to go on the west coast!

Rusty thanked DawnInCal
  • Rusty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow! Just plain WOW! And that's all I'm saying about tonight's show at this time, out of respect for our West Coast members who haven't seen it yet.

Glenda, no elimination tonight, it was the finals! Ten acts competing for the one million dollars. The winner will be announced on the results show tomorrow night. I can't wait to see who America picks!

Rusty

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    5 years ago

Way behind watching. But Zurcaroh (spelling?) wow. I am sorry, I am still not getting the lady comedian.

Rusty thanked Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Thanks, Rusty! I've been avoiding this thread just in case. Twenty minutes left - what a show it's been so far. They all deserve to win!

Rusty thanked DawnInCal
  • lily316
    5 years ago

I don't want any of the singers to win (except maybe Courtney) They have the Voice and Idol to appear on. I love the Asian card magician. He is my pick and my second is the group of people and kids that have a very stupid name for their act. They are fabulous. That is my top three.

Rusty thanked lily316
  • Rusty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I can't decide who I'd like to see win! I really like both the comedian with Tourette's Syndrome, and the singer who is a doctor. Neither are the flashiest of the performers, but I am impressed by their character as well as their talent. I really wanted to give almost all of them the full 10 votes each! Which, I guess I could have, but didn't.

Personally, I have mixed emotions about 'professionals' competing. I haven't read the 'rules' so I don't know how they decide on who gets to audition. It seems like whoever shows up gets their chance in front of the judges. There have been a number of contestants over the years who have performed professionally, not sure if any of them have ever won or not. This year there was a singer who had been in the cast of the TV program 'Glee', and his career was kind of derailed when the series ended. And that creepy little girl 'magician' had won a competition in another country, I don't remember which one. I guess I object to a winner of a previous large scale talent contest, like AGT but in another country, being on. And I wondered, too about the 'Glee' singer, he'd certainly had a chance at national recognition. But maybe it should depend on the level of 'professional' performances? I don't know. I wonder if they have to reveal any or all of their performing 'history' before they are allowed in the first audition?

In beauty contests, the contestants work their way up, starting out in small local pageants, so maybe this works kind of the same way? I just dunno. . . . . . .

Rusty

• lily316
    5 years ago

I don't vote for people who have a backstory like the guy who adopted kids and the Tourettes comedian. I don't like backstories. I like the best talent. I do think those other people are wonderful though.

Rusty thanked lily316
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Rusty, I've read that it's not against the rules for contestants who have performed professionally to compete in AGT. It's kind of like how the Olympics used to be for amateur athletes until they opened it up to allow pro basketball and hockey players to compete which I don't agree with either.

As far as allowing performers from other countries to compete, I have mixed feeling about that. It doesn't really bother me, but if they are going to do that, perhaps the name of the show should be changed to "Earth Has Talent" or "The World Has Talent". A lot of other countries have their own versions of AGT, but I doubt the winners of those shows have the same level of opportunity as they would in the US which could be why they want to compete here.

Anyway, back to last night's show. It was so good; one of the best they've had I thought. After sleeping on it, I can't say I've narrowed it down, but I've eliminated a few acts. I don't think that Michael Ketterer (singer), Glennis Grace (singer), Daniel Emmet (singer), Samuel Comroe (comedian) and Vicki Barbolak (comedian) are at the same level of talent as the other five performers.

Between the remaining five, I have no idea who I would choose. They are all so talented and polished that it's a very difficult choice to make. I do think that the dance troupe, the magician and the trapeze artists are the most suited to the glitz of a Las Vegas show. I'll be looking forward to seeing the results tonight.

However, it turns out, I hope that those who don't win AGT come out winners by being offered recording deals or other venues in which to showcase their enormous talents.

Rusty thanked DawnInCal
  • Yayagal
    5 years ago

Magician for me.

Rusty thanked Yayagal
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

I rarely watch, and only tuned in to watch the Angel City Chorale, but then saw Brian King Joseph, and I hope he wins. I noticed that Simon went up on stage as they were going to commercial after his performance last night. The only other time I've wanted someone to win was former Philadelphia Eagle Jon Dorenbos a few years ago. He didn't, but he's doing OK these days.

Rusty thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • bpath
    5 years ago

Oh, my, I could never have predicted WHO would win, they are all so amazing. But I gotta say, I'd pay money to go see the dance troupe, their choreography is out of this world. I don't know how much is the production around it, but I imagine that in Las Vegas they'd had pretty good production, too.

I was at a party where a magician went around to the tables. I was one of his, what do you call the person they ask to "help"? Anyway, he had me hold something, and when I opened my hand it had changed. I have no idea how that happened! On the other hand, I sat in the front row for another magician, and I could see all the wires and strings. And I worked at an amusement park theater that featured a magic show. So I learned a lot about illusions there.

But really good magicians really wow me. Shin Lim has good presence, and I understand he's already joined an Illusionists touring show, so I hope to see him on TV. One thing I miss about the old variety shows is easily seeing performers like we see on AGT.

How do you feel about the outcome?

Rusty thanked bpath
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

I was surprised that Courtney Hadwin (teen singer) didn't make the top five and that Michael Ketterer (country singer) advanced as far as he did. At the end, I was really, really, really surprised that the magician was chosen over the dance troupe. Just never know how these things will go. Congratulations to Shin Lim!

I hope that some of the acts that didn't win will receive offers for recording deals, live shows, etc.

Rusty thanked DawnInCal
  • lily316
    5 years ago

Well, I didn't vote but picked the top three and was thrilled with Shin being the winner and I love the second place ones too. Love the winners. Didn't get why the comedians went so far.

Rusty thanked lily316
  • Rusty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm very happy with the outcome! I'm a little surprised, and apparently some of the judges were VERY surprised. But I honestly think that not a single one of the 10 finalists were not deserving of winning. And I'd be willing to bet that every one of them will get some really good offers and opportunities out of this. There are probably quite a few that were eliminated farther back down the line that will, too.

Sometimes it seems like AGT overdoes the choreography bit. I'd rather see (and hear!) the performers a little better! For example, on Tuesday's show, the opera singer almost couldn't be seen against the background in some of the shots. And the piano accompanying Michael Ketterer almost drowned out his voice. Did anyone else notice this? It seemed to happen with a number of the vocalists. The final act last night, with Brian King Joseph, the girl guest star, and the trapeze artists in the background was also way too much, I thought. All three were overpowered by all the glitz going on around them.

All in all, I think it was a great season! And Tyra said the voting results were the closest they have ever been. That didn't surprise me at all, that was one amazing and talented group of finalists!

But that's just my humble opinion.

Rusty

• matti5
    5 years ago

I was thrilled with who won, but all the acts were great. I wished that I could have heard a bit more of just Brian King Joseph playing solo. His music seemed to get lost. No doubt he will go far, as will the others. I'm guessing we will see the female comedian with her own sitcom with the help of Simon. I actually loved her Trailer Park skit and her golf cart lol.

Rusty thanked matti5
  • bpath
    5 years ago

Rusty, I agree with you that they over-produce with lights, backdrops, sound. Makes the performer secondary.

Michael said he's performing with Garth Brooks at Notre Dame in November, so he's got that going.

Courtney looked none-too-gracious with her loss, but I'll chalk that up to her youth and many people's expectations that she'd win. She's talented, but I wonder how much of that is HER, and if she'll ruin her voice too soon. I imagine she'd be a good actress.

Matti, I can imagine the Trailer Park show! I'd hope that Vicki'd be part of it, and hopefully she has a good manager to ensure it. I hear there's a new show on Fox called The Cool Kids about a woman (Vicki Lawrence!) who moves in to a retirement community and disrupts the social hierarchy (quoted from AARP Magazine). So there's either a trend, or the Trailer Park will be seen as a copycat...with golf carts lol.

Rusty thanked bpath
  • Amazing Aunt Audrey
    5 years ago

bpathome I think a show with her will be on the line of Rosanne

Rusty thanked Amazing Aunt Audrey
  • Rusty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

"Courtney looked none-too-gracious with her loss,"

I'm sure she was very disappointed (I can't even imagine what it would be like, standing up there waiting for the announcement!), but she is very bashful, hardly said a word any time Tyra spoke to her any time she appeared, and rarely smiled. What seemed to be her 'normal' facial expression was pretty much the way she looked last night, almost like she was mad at someone. She just never did show much personality. And that may have affected the votes.

Rusty

• matti5
    5 years ago

bpathome, I am really looking forward to the Cool Kids show, I love Vickie Lawrence!

Rusty thanked matti5
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Simon, didn't do a very good job of hiding his feelings either. It looked like he had to make an effort to pull himself together and not show his disappointment.

Rusty thanked DawnInCal
  • bpath
    5 years ago

Rusty, I don't think I ever saw her interviews with Tyra (,I'm highly distracted during the shows) ...Tyra would certainly throw ME off, she has quite a stage personality! So I didn't realize Courtney's shy, that would explain it.

Rusty thanked bpath
  • lily316
    5 years ago

I just thought they had too many vocalists. We have The Voice and Idol for them. AGT is a good place for magicians acrobats and other talents to excel.

Rusty thanked lily316
  • share_oh
    5 years ago

Yay! Shin was my pick from the beginning! I thought he was beyond amazing. I had recorded the finale and basically fast forwarded to the end last night. I might go back and see some of the reactions you're talking about.

The Janis Joplin girl is very talented but I did not enjoy her performances - just not my kind of music. It's hard to imagine she's so shy in real life. But I think she's very young and of course this would be a major disappointment for her not to win.

I really loved the dance group and would LOVE to see them in a show. I would've been happy if they won as well.

If there's ever a travelling show of this year's AGT acts, I'm going!

Rusty thanked share_oh
  • User
    5 years ago

I never really followed this season, but I would never pay to see a guy who does card tricks. Never. Ever. And until that last episode didn't think I would ever pay to see a dance troop. But when the last two contestants stood on stage, I was really hoping the dance troop would have won. They were fantastic! Magic tricks? They're all so old.

Rusty thanked User
  • Suzieque
    5 years ago

We watch it all. DH and I had a few differences in our likes/dislikes. He really liked the violinist; the violinist, although incredibly talented, was a bit over the top for me. I didn't enjoy him. DH hated Courtney; I didn't enjoy her but didn't really dislike her.

The comedian with Tourettes, just not at all funny to either of us. Huh? We just don't get it. And Michael? hmmmm..... didn't see much talent there.

We strongly feel that the backstories shouldn't influence the votes. This isn't a personality contest - it's a talent contest. And the judges hang around with the contestants, too, and get to know them. Simon loved Michael because of the person he is. Yep, he's great, but that shouldn't count in a talent contest, IMO.

Both DH and I were very happy with the final results. Shin and Zurcaroh (sp?) were our absolute favorites. I would watch a performance of either of them at any time and would pay money to do so. I slightly preferred Zurcaroh; DH slightly preferred Shin.

Now on to next year!

Rusty thanked Suzieque
  • lily316
    5 years ago

Totally agree backstories don't matter at all. People in Vegas don't pay to hear your life story. Shin was magnificent and deserved to win and Zacorah ?? were perfect for second . The top three were my top three. I found the Tourettes guy not funny and Michael was good but didn't serve to go that far. It was his story people voted for.

Rusty thanked lily316
  • ritamay91710
    5 years ago

Did you guys see where Michael Ketterer was arrested and charged with domestic violence? So much for his 'back story.'

Rusty thanked ritamay91710
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Suzieque, you're right about the back stories. Whether people realize it or not, those stories pull at the heart strings, and probably do influence the way a lot of people vote.

Rusty thanked DawnInCal
  • lily316
    5 years ago

The new strategy should be just a background story and not long conflated ones like Michael's who was shocked he didn't win. I didn't know he was arrested for battery. Hmm. Glad he didn't win.

Rusty thanked lily316
  • User
    5 years ago

I think the charges were dropped. Even his wife didn't want charges laid. He said they did get into a heated argument but it wasn't enough to warrant charges.

Rusty thanked User
  • Rusty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I read about the 'domestic violence' this morning, and was pretty upset and very disappointed in him. It may have been one of those incidents where the media blows it all out of proportion, at least I hope that's what it is. His wife didn't press any charges, so that's a good sign, I think.

About 'backstories', some background info is nice to know, and should be included, I think. But I wish they wouldn't blow it all out of proportion like they do. A few seasons of AGT ago, there was a young female singer who was from a town within 20 miles of where I grew up. Naturally, I started out with high hopes for her. But every appearance, they made such a big issue of how poor she was, could only get 'menial' type jobs, such as waiting tables, had been raised by foster parents, hadn't seen any of her family in years, etc. It got to be pretty sickening to listen to. So I looked her up on the AGT website, and the facts were presented quite differently. Yes, she waited tables, in a very classy high-end restaurant. She hadn't seen her family, by her own choice, she hadn't been 'abandoned' by them as had been implied, she owned her own home, drove a very nice car, etc. Seems like it would have put her in a much better light if they had just presented the facts and not turned it into some kind of sob story. Basic backstory facts are fine, good to know. But don't turn it all into sob stories and dwell on them on and on, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Rusty

• nannygoat18
    5 years ago

I worked with Domestic Violence survivors and it is NOT a good sign when women do not press charges. Often they are afraid of their abusers and avoid doing anything to escalate the abuse. Making any attempt to leave an abuser is the most dangerous time for a woman and her risk is increased as she has young children. You just never know what goes on behind closed doors.

Rusty thanked nannygoat18
  • User
    5 years ago

I AM a domestic violence survivor and yet I won't pretend to know what exactly happened. In Calgary, only the police can drop those charges.

Rusty thanked User
  • nicole___
    5 years ago

I loved this season....and am looking forward to next season. I would pay to see a magic show....especially in Vegas with all the lights and hype!

Rusty thanked nicole___