SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gle2011

Shiplap Installation in the Basement

gle2011
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi,

We live in Central Massachusetts and have a walkout basement.

I had a moisture problem during our construction; the seams of the poly plastic covering the fiberglass bat insulation were not taped and moisture built up behind the poly plastic.

All of the insulation had to be removed and a mold remediation company was called in to encapsulate the start of black mold once the sheathing had dried out to a number below 10 on a wood moisture meter.

I now run a full house de-humidifier which keeps the relative humidity in the basement at 45%.

The mold remediation company recommends I do not have the insulation company cover the new fiberglass insulation with poly plastic.

All of the unfinished basements in the new development only have sheets of clear poly plastic covering the un-faced fiberglass bat insulation; and I would like to cover insulation in some way.

I am hoping to avoid the dusty mess caused by the sanding of the joint compuound on wallboard joints.

So my question is can I installl shiplap or tongue and groove pine directly over the fiberglass bat insulation; nailing it directly onto the wooden studs or do I have to install drywall to the wall first?

Thanks

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County