SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daninthedirt

how to get female flowers on squash?

daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Yeah, this is an old, and somewhat tired question. I have some Tahitian melons that I put in at the beginning of July. Multiple healthy vines now about 20 feet long. I have ONE squash (which I manually fertilized), after about a hundred male blossoms. It is kind of remarkable that I've never seen a responsible answer to the question, aside from "just wait", and "luck". You would think that some horticultural research would come to bear. Has there been none on this point? What factors determine flower sex production? Nutrients? Weather? Variety? Aside from the "just wait" and "luck" answers, responses to this question that are all over the web are completely irrelevant -- eat the blossoms! here's how to identify the blossoms! here's how to fertilize!, enjoy the color!, I get loads of females! -- and don't even try to answer the question. Please, don't pollute this thread with such irrelevant responses.

I would appreciate seeing some real research that even concludes that there is nothing you can do about it. You would think that this has been at least discussed among commercial growers. Maximizing female flowers, and managing the M/F ratio has to be important for productivity.

My season is long, so I still have a chance to get decent production. It is kind of interesting that, in another bed, butternuts are doing fine.

Comments (10)