SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mia_blake

no female squash flowers

MiaOKC
10 years ago

Hello all! I planted a mixed "gourmet squash" bunch of seeds way back in the beginning/middle of May after losing a few of my transplants to cutworms. My plants are huge, about waist high and probably four or five feet across. They have been flowering since early June, but I have not gotten a single squash set. In the early days, I know I saw a few female flowers and thought the ants and bees would work for pollination, as I saw ants all over garden. Well, a few weeks later, no luck, so I finally decide to hand pollinate with a q-tip but lo and behold, I went out first thing in the morning and cannot find a single female flower. I've been going out every other day for a week and still no females, but tons and tons of male flowers.

These plants got a Bloom Booster feed back before that June "cold" front and I've only watered probably three times this summer. Mother Nature has provided the rest of the irrigation. In all other respects, the plants are hugely vigorous and healthy, but I live in terror of squash bugs or SVBs coming and taking them out before I've grown a single squash.

Is there anything I can do to encourage female flowers? The plants seem old enough to be producing them, and I am certain I have seen a few in the last six weeks. Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm