SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

fish and chips - US vs. Commonwealth Countries?

davidrt28 (zone 7)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have developed a bit of a liking to this classic 'pub grub' dish in the past few years.

Trying to figure out why I cannot find "Commonwealth" style Fish and Chips in the US. When I was in AU & NZ 2 years ago, at least 3 times I ordered it, in restaurants from about $ to maybe $$.5 expense level LOL, and every time I loved it. I also remember eating some when I was last in the UK in 2010.

A couple weeks ago I ordered it in a fancy US seafood chain restaurant. Probably the fanciest. Was not impressed at all. (btw not even going to deal with the fries/chips for now...just talking fish) The coating was hard, crusty, thick and medium brown. No pleasure in eating that. In contrast in the UK, AU & NZ, one almost always gets a very light brown or yellowish batter, that is very thin and crispy. It's almost translucent where most thin.

I think one underlying difference is the standards for fried food, especially seafood, are higher in many other first world countries, than the US. I'm particularly thinking of big mid-range chain seafood places, like Red Lobster, and all those "old time" family seafood restaurants along the east coast. I'm most familiar with ones from Baltimore down to Nags Head. Many of them fry in disgustingly over-worked, borderline rancid oil that is loaded with peroxides (and probably synthetic antioxidants to keep them in check) that produce a hideous tasting and looking, dark brown product. I can't believe people eat that.

The closest in the US I've actually had to what I consider "Commonwealth" fish and chips, is shrimp tempura in a couple of upscale Japanese restaurants. The same taste of very fresh, clean oil (which is no taste, other than the batter) and very light golden color, and almost potato chip like crispiness.

Anyone else noticed this? I did bring it up with an American woman who lived in AU for several years who I met at a party last Christmas. She told me she'd noticed the same thing and once you've had better fried seafood, there's no going back.

Comments (27)