SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimmk987

Has anyone had their slab honed by the fabricator?

kim k
5 years ago

I have found a really unique and beautiful (to me anyways lol) slab of quartzite. It is currently polished but my fabricator is willing to hone it for us. I prefer a more muted non-shiny counter and had my heart set on honed. Has anyone done this? It feels a bit scary to me since I have no way of knowing how it will look until it's done - will the colors be softer and more muted? I'd love any experiences anyone has to share!

Comments (21)

• kim k
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Sophie. What questions should I be asking specifically? The method they plan on using to home? The tools they use? I know nothing about fabricating stone. I just left them a message saying that I would like to discuss how they will do it and if it's something they have done successfully in the past.

• Related Discussions

Has anyone had ClearStone applied?

Q

Comments (0)
    It's an anti stain and anti etch resin coating for marble and other porous stones that's professionally applied and carries a 15 year warranty. There's a FAQ on the site about it. It comes in polished and honed finishes. Sounds interesting! Here is a link that might be useful: ClearStone Site
    ...See More

Are honed granite slabs routinely re-honed by fabricators?

Q

Comments (21)
    I am a fabricator. We sometimes have customer selected slabs rehoned when, upon inspection at our shop, we notice scratches or inconsistent finish. Our 1st step is to accompany the customer to select their slabs. Then, most of the time, if there are objectionable aspects to the customers stone we can point it out then. (I don't know why most fabricators don't help with the slab selection when it prevents SO MANY of the typical problems.) If a slab has to be refinished there are two typical avenues; one is to have it refinished at a supplier with a polishing line. 2nd is for the fabricator to use a radial arm router and a skilled operator. (Most fabricators do not have this capability.) Either route can produce a nice finish but neither can be counted on to provide an exact match to the original finish. A third, relatively recent option due to newly available tooling, is to hone the slab with a CNC. We haven't done this yet so I can't comment on the quality of the finish. When we refinish a slab we require the customer to sign off that whatever the finish looks like will be acceptable.
    ...See More

Has anyone had a polished slab honed?

Q

Comments (4)
    Dont know where you live, I was helping my friend in Stamford Connecticut pick her stone, and we saw honed Virginia mist slabs at a granite yard in New York. Its my understanding that they deliver across the state. call and see if they still have it. I goggled their name and found the website, you should be able to get the contact info there.... good luck. Here is a link that might be useful: hgstones
    ...See More

Has anyone had any experience with Outdoor Fabric Paint?

Q

Comments (3)
    Oooh, following.
    ...See More
  • chispa
    5 years ago

I recently spoke to a regional manager for a large well known tile company and he explained that it was even difficult for them, with commercial equipment to go from polished to honed or honed to polish. He said even their equipment didn't compare to that found at the quarries.

Are you willing to buy a slab, have it honed and scrap it (take a loss) if you don't like the outcome? Your fabricator won't be at fault and will have to be paid for work done.

If you are willing to do a test run, and need more than one slab, make sure you can hold/reserve any other slabs you might need if the honing does work.

kim k thanked chispa
  • kim k
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Their response (not the actual fabricator but the woman I am dealing with for pricing etc) was that they have done it many times before, all successful.... Next time I am there I'll see if I can chat with the fabricator in person. I did also ask if it was possible to just hone part of one slab (that would likely be waste) before I commit to honing the whole thing.

• rantontoo
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I also wanted non-polished granite but live in a part of the country where polished slabs are what is offered for sale.

I found my polished granite slabs at a major stone supplier who sells slabs to fabricators but wanted a leathered finish which I love. The stone supplier arranged for leathering at a nearby facility (not sure if it was owned by the the supplier or not), and then the slabs were shipped to my fabricator.

The cost of leathering raised the price of my slabs from a level 2 to a level 3 granite.

Have you seen an example of your granite honed? If not, I would make sure you do...not all granites look great honed. Better to know exactly what it will look like to avoid unpleasant surprises. While I had never seen my exact granite leathered, I had seen enough polished and leathered examples of similar granites that I was fairly certain my slabs would look fine....even then, I waited anxiously to see the end result of leathering on my slabs.

Good luck in achieving your look!

kim k thanked rantontoo
  • kim k
    Original Author
    5 years ago

rantontoo- I love leathered stone so much! The fabricator we chose doesn't leather though. This is my slab... it's Florida quartzite but not the colors you typically see from Florida quartzite. I have never seen anything like it at another stone supplier so I don't think I'll be successful finding it already honed :/ I did ask if they'd do just a corner before I commit but haven't gotten an answer yet.

• rantontoo
    5 years ago

That slab is gorgeous! Did you do the glass test to make sure it is true quartzite?

Does it have a high polished finish? I asked that because many of the polished quartzite slabs I looked at did not have the high polished look that granite gets; infact, many of them had the look of my honed marble vanity piece.

I hope you get to use that slab...it is really lovely!

• kim k
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It is pretty shiny. You can't tell from the outside pic but inside it reflects the warehouse lights a lot IMO.

• Boxerpal
    5 years ago

My installer/ fabricator hones all marble counters that he installs for free. He believes Honing is a better finish on Marble. This is done at his factory or warehouse by machines. Marble is different that Quartzite so I am not sure how that works but for our Marble it is still very beautiful. The honed finish shows tiny lovely sparkles and the colors are a bit muted but still gorgeous to us.

kim k thanked Boxerpal
  • kim k
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Boxer you’re so lucky! Mine is charging $1100 which i think is fair for two slabs. He explained how much more difficult it is with quartzite and the brushes he needs to use how long it takes etc. They’re going to hone a sample before i commit to the whole slab(s).
  • beachem
    5 years ago

I have both quartzite and granite that I’m getting leathered. I paid $750 for the granite but my fabricator sent me out to a specialty company that does nothing but honing/polish/ leathering. They charge more for quartzite because it is so hard.

The granite came out beautifully but the colors were way more muted even with their special coating to draw out the colors.

Wish I had a picture of the giant slab in their showroom. It shows the three stages on the same slab.

• kim k
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Beachem that is good to know! Leathered was my first choice but they don’t do it so I’m ok with just honed. Part of the reason i wanted to hone is to quiet down the colors... i also prefer a surface that doesn’t reflect light for kitchen counters. What type of quartzite are you using?
  • PRO
    Granite City Services
    5 years ago

I am a fabricator. Changing a polished slab to leathered or honed is well within the capabilities of most medium to large shops. The risk you run as the customer is that you might not like the look of the stone as the colors become considerably muted (read "washed out") compared to a polished finish. I make customers sign off on acceptance BEFORE the custom finishing is done.

kim k thanked Granite City Services
  • fidlfreek_justice_4_sophie
    5 years ago

Just a heads you - we are getting lots of posts on the forum about leathered and honed slabs being difficult to get clean, keep clean, etc.

• maire_cate
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I had my quartzite honed 18 months ago at the recommendation of my fabricator and contractor. I had polished granite in my previous kitchen for 15 years and wanted a different look at my new home. We downsized and our new kitchen is much smaller than my old one and it's open to the family room. So I wanted a stone that was interesting yet subtle and calm - we picked Ice Flake Quartzite .

I also wasn't keen on having another shiny surface. My contractor has used the same granite, tile and marble shop and fabricators for over 10 years and they often hone the stone.

We also wanted to do all the tests on the stone to make sure it was quartzite so our salesperson gave us a 12" by 18" piece to take home - they honed one half of the surface and left the other half polished so we could test both sides. We also took it to the job site to see how it looked with our new cabinets and floor.

I'm happy to report that both polished and honed sides passed all the tests. I don't remember how much more we had to pay to have it honed but I'm very glad we did. It wasn't cheap because it takes a long time to hone - plus the fabricator goes through multiple diamond pieces to get the finished look - hence the price.

It has been easy to clean - it is not leathered, it is smooth to the touch and not as slippery as my granite was.

kim k thanked maire_cate
  • kim k
    Original Author
    5 years ago

fidlfreek- I have noticed that as well but it seems to always be an issue with leathered surfaces, or honed quartz or granite... Please correct me if I am wrong but I haven't seen complaints about honed quartzite?

oldryder- Thanks for chiming in from a fabricator's perspective. I actually am hoping to wash the colors our a bit so you actually made me feel better :) I want them to be more subtle and soft looking. They're going to hone a sample for me to be sure I like it though before I commit.

maire_cate- Thank you for sharing your experience that is exactly how I feel! Your kitchen is beautiful. I LOVE your stone (and your pendants are so cool I haven't see any like those!).

• maire_cate
    5 years ago

Thanks Kim. I forgot to add that all the stone surfaces in the 3 bathrooms have been honed as well - both marble and quartzite.

• javiwa
    5 years ago

kim k: Our Calacatta (Gold) quartzite arrived at the stone yard polished, and DH and I wanted honed tops. To oldryder's point: all the lines, colors, drama, etc. will be more muted once you remove the polish, but that's actually what we wanted. Among the many other issues we had with our installation, the honing/leathering was likewise a disaster.

Our fabricator gave us two samples to choose from: honed and leathered (they had plenty of our slab, so prepared samples for us). The leathered sample look very orange peel-y -- lots of small dimples. We opted for the honed, as it was the perfect amount of matte and smoothness.

After the installation, I noticed the tops were very gritty, and the veins had a whitish appearance here and there that were not in the sample we received. When I asked the company for the honed sample to compare, it took them a week (or longer) to 'look for it' (to include their coming back to me and asking, "Are you sure our guys took it with us?") before admitting they lost it. At that point, I had no 'proof' to show what the end result was that we'd agreed upon.

While they admitted I should end up with a smooth, non-gritty surface, they didn't know where to go from there. They had me contact a regional rep to inquire, and they had me post a query on on the Stone Fabricators Alliance forum (at which point the pros -- as helpful and understanding as they tried to be -- told me to tell my 'guy' to get off their butts and post the inquiry themselves...a customer shouldn't have to do this for a fabricator). We went back and forth for months. They finally agreed to use different brushes and try leathering the tops -- used a sample, and this time, the leathering didn't result in orange peel. I agreed to having them leather (or whatever they wanted to call it) on site. At this point, I can still see grinder 'arc' marks on the tops, but along with so many other issues with the installation, I just settled.

Based only on my single experience, I would not recommend having a fabricator (unless old ryder was nearby!) hone the tops -- unless you can go back and point to an example of what the end product should be.

Good luck!

• beachem
    5 years ago

@Kim K. I have crystallized quartzite

I’m reconsidering leaving it polished due to all the grease that will hit it as a backsplash. Easy to clean is a top priority for me.

• kim k
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh I love that quartzite! I fell in love with a leathered slab at Daltile so pretty. I'm going back and forth on honed or not... I think I'll wait and see how the sample turns out. Maybe I'll bring it home with me and test it out.

• kim k
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I viewed the sample today (cut from one of my slabs) and i love it. I tested the edge and it scratches glass. I’m planning on testing for etching tonight. Wish me luck :)