SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becky22546

What type lock(s) do I need for double doors?

Becky
5 years ago

I'm installing double doors for the front entry of a new house and I'm trying to make sure I order the right type locks/handlesets for them. I have a quote for a double door w/ a multipoint lock, but I'm not 100% sure it will do what I need. Can someone help explain what type of lock I should be requesting to fit the following criteria?

1) I'm short and need the ability to lock/unlock both doors without a step stool. I'm looking for something that will unlock the head jamb bolt and threshold bolt at the same time. I understand that a multi-point lock will do this. However, I don't understand how it works with double doors. I want the ability to lock/unlock the bolts on it at the same time, too.

2) Should I be looking at something else instead of the multi-point lock? The only reason I'm looking at multi-point locks is because I want he ability to unlock both bolts at the same time and it should help with weather proofing for the double doors. I realize multi-point locks are great for security, but my doors will be 3/4 glass, so someone can always break the glass.

Can someone help me understand what I should be asking the vendor to quote? They don't deal with many multi-point locking systems, so I'm not sure they understand what I'm looking for either.

Comments (2)