Deleting a follower.

tennessee_swift

I’m kinda creeped out by this person who is following me.... is there any way to turn off followings? I’m not comfortable having them follow me.

SaveComment23Like1
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watchmelol

Go to Your Houzz. (upper right corner of any page) Hit edit profile in the drop down list. Then hit advanced settings. Under privacy you turn on or off the ability of people to follow you.

1 Like Save    
tennessee_swift

Sweet! Thanks! I’m glad that person isn’t following anymore.

1 Like Save    
arkansas girl

Do you think that maybe someone is just following a thread/comment that you made and it shows up as if they are actually following YOU? I have a couple threads saved so I can go back and reread a product recommendation and I wonder if that person may think that I am following them?

EDIT: I just looked at my profile and there are supposedly two people following me...I have no idea why anyone would care to follow me...booooooring....OR maybe I'm following them and in that case, I have never followed anyone that I know of!

1 Like Save    
cleo07

I have accidentally hit follow before when touching the screen without paying attention. Last year, I looked and realized I was following 4 people that I didn’t know about. I don’t do the whole social media follower thing (too old to learn new tricks lol) so I am with you on turning off the whole thing.

1 Like Save    
marylmi

Checked mine and I have 4 followers and following 1. I have no idea who they are (I didn't check the names) but I don't pay much attention to that as I think I have probably followed someone without realizing it and others do the same.

Save    
marycharm

Wow, I didn't know anything about 'following'. I'll look at my page and see what's what - if I'm following anybody, I'm sorry. It was surely by accident!

Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

What frosts me is when companies or pros put stuff put their product information in my idea books! I use none of the Houzz features and resent the hell out of it being forced on me.

1 Like Save    
kayjones

If you feel you are being stalked contact Houzz administration and let them know. They will contact the person and tell them to stop.

Save    
matthias_lang

Whoa, Rhizo, that is really weird that they can even do that! I mean-- it is close to sick! Sure seems to me that a company or "pro" who does that is a liar and thus not to be trusted, not anyone to do business with. Why would the programming here even allow that to happen?!

1 Like Save    
matthias_lang

Tennessee_swift, I want to say don't take it too personally or be too uncomfortable that someone was following you. I, too, have accidentally followed someone and I did not even know about it until one day I noticed it on my own user page. No way was I reading every post by that person; I was not following them in reality.

Save    
albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.

Some time ago I noticed the feature and bemused 'what is this?' So I clicked a few and not seeing any results just forgot about it. What is supposed to happen when I follow someone?

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

I want to say thanks! I didn't know anyone was following me, but I see one is (hello!) and that I had completely forgotten about my bookmarks. I went back to those and they made me smile so deeply. All about Val, Marilyn's horse.

Save    
maifleur01

I too have followed someone by accident. I am also not certain what it actually does. Their postings do not automatically show up for you.

Save    
tennessee_swift

I don’t care if people with actual activity follows me. I just wanted that person to unfollow me so I might turn them back on. I don’t know. This person, though, if you looked at their profile it is a little weird. I know, it’s kinda dumb being creeped out by someone who is following me, but I just don’t want them to be following me. Their profile was a little sketchy.

Save    
Emily H

Hi All, Following on Houzz really serves as a bookmark of sorts for profiles of other users. Their public posts will also show up for you in your feed. You can absolutely turn off the ability to follow you, if you are not comfortable with that.

For those that mentioned that pros will comment on your ideabooks, that is considered spam to us. Please flag that when it happens and we will take care of it for you. Thanks!!

2 Likes Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Emily (and other interested parties).....to make it worse, I didn't initiate nor do I want an 'idea book', of any sort period! These morons have added a bunch of totally unwanted clutter, advertising, "ideas", etc. I have also had "pros" message me to ask if I would post a positive review about their shop, product, gallery, etc.

I don't see any way to flag my idea books, Emily. I want them ALL gone......off with their heads!

Save    
Emily H

Hi Rhizo - Do you mean you have been added to ideabooks that you don't want to be part of? Taking a look!

Save    
gyr_falcon

I'm now being followed by Vinny barbate. He has no posts or comments on that account, but recent activity shows a lot of follow activity, with some extremely varied and odd choices [\u0418\u0433\u043e\u0440\u044c \u0418\u0433\u043e\u0440\u044c for example] of accounts to follow. I don't understand the purpose of this new "game", but I'll probably have to resort to having to shut down my followers, too.

Save    
aok27502

I wonder if some of the "followers" are automated? I had four, but two were local professionals (a painter and a roofer) whom I've used IRL. There is no way in heck they would be following me intentionally, and I doubt there is enough info for them to deduce that I was a customer. It must be somehow automated. Something lets Houzz know where I am so I get local ads, it must put two and two together.

I've gone through the above procedure and kicked them to the curb.

1 Like Save    
Jennifer L

I looked at my profile and somehow IM the one following 18 people! They are all FB friends but have no clue how I am following.

1 Like Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

Oh my. I didn't know about "followers". I just looked and I have 12 "followers" of which I know only 1. How do you get rid of them? Does it really matter? It's kind of creepy.

Save    
joann_fl

you should just take it as a compliment. They like what your saying or doing and want to know more.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

"Does it really matter? It's kind of creepy."

No, it doesn't matter at all :-) I have a lot of followers, for whatever reason - some I recognize, many I don't. Other than looking at my profile page, I have no way of knowing they are following me at all, although sometimes I do note my comments being "liked" frequently by the same people. It is not cyber stalking, it is not creepy and it is really NO BIG DEAL!! Like joann, I consider it to be a compliment or an appreciation of my comments.

If you don't like it - and I have no idea why that would be - the only way to stop it is opt out of that feature.

Save    

Related Stories

Ranch Homes Follow a Ranch House Renovation From Start to Finish
Renovation Diary, Part 1: Join us on a home project in Florida for lessons for your own remodel — starting with finding the right house
Full Story
Remodeling Guides 7 Tips for Making Contractors Your Allies
For a contractor as vested as you are in your home project's success, follow these time-tested techniques from a professional designer
Full Story
Your First House 12 Key Decorating Tips to Make Any Room Better
Get a great result even without an experienced touch by following these basic design guidelines
Full Story
Most Popular 10 Tips for Chic Little Bathrooms
Get more visual appeal and storage in less space, following the lead of these stylish compact bathrooms
Full Story
Your First House How to Remodel Your Kitchen
Follow these 9 steps to a successful kitchen remodel, from figuring out what you need to signing off on the final review
Full Story
Landscape Design The Case for Functional Garden Design
Clear away the decoration to give every area of your garden a clear function
Full Story
Lighting How to Fix Up a Thrifted Lamp
Save money and earn DIY cred by rewiring and snazzing up a damaged lamp you scored on the cheap
Full Story
Landscape Design 9 Low-Growing Hedges That Make Good Neighbors
Define garden areas or borders without blocking the view, with these evergreen shrubs that take kindly to trimming
Full Story
Most Popular Get Organized: Take a 10-Day Simplification Challenge
Organizational expert Emily Ley helps us get a jump-start on our New Year’s clear-outs
Full Story