SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emtwohig21

MOISTURE IN CRAWL (Cross?) SPACE! HVAC Pro's please weigh in - MODULAR

emtwohig21
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hey everyone, I would really appreciate ANY advice someone might have on our current *stressful* situation. This is long I know, but please weigh in if you have the time. Thank you in advance :)

We purchased, and remodeled a modular home a year ago, top to bottom (electrical, plumbing, the whole nine). We also put in a new HVAC system; 2.5 ton unit (We live in Southern MD) living space that the unit takes care of is roughly 1200 sq ft.

We recently had a string of intense rains and extreme humidity. I noticed our wood floors were swelling, mold in a kitchen drawer, sweating ceiling registers (no duct work in the floor)... we called our HVAC guy in. He moved the thermostat, double checked about our tonnage on the unit ... then we were in a waiting game for improvements. Humidity dropped in our house, but not to an acceptable level yet so he proposed that we may have to do some ductwork adding (?) or something along those lines. However, the humidity remains in our home. We have a plug in dehumidifier running 24/7 (I will love the day that I don't hear that ever again), and during that process with our HVAC guy (roughly a 4-5 day period), we got into our cross base.

There were moisture puddles, and wet insulation. The way our cross base was, is that they had a vapor barrier on the ground, and then a "belly" layer of plastic covering the insulation on the floor system. Well, when we saw this, our immediate thoughts were "There's the likely problem! Its creating this moisture trap between the two." Flash forward- we had people come tear out the existing vapor barrier, "belly" layer above, all old insulation (some had surface mold, with a bit starting to grow on sub floor).... then REPLACED only a new vapor barrier, and new insulation, NOT the additional plastic "belly" barrier on the top (insulated flooring area).

We thought our issues may have been solved (knowing that we still may need some HVAC tweaking inside). Its now been about 5 days and my husband went into the cross base to find it with the same issues encroaching! Wet insulation in areas, some puddling under unit area, our steel floor beams have rusting. He decided to close one end of our cross base vents (we have 4 total... 2 on each end of the house), put in fans for them, and then we also put two additional fans down there to push the air out and hopefully dry the space. There is already a slight improvement, but this is not the solution.

We are desperate for what the heck is going on here. We are back to thinking it is HVAC related! We started to think... the only thing that changed before this house had an issue was that we installed a new HVAC system, and the house was much more "insulated" than it used to be, being that we did a better job re-building the whole thing.

Other things to note:

-One side of our house is much more hotter than the other, it's what I describe as "dead air" space. Not much air flow gets down there. The other end of the house is wide open (kit, LR, Dining), then it is a long hall with bedrooms/baths off of it. The hall leads to the dead zone.

-I have water beading on some of my ceiling vents still, and small water rings around them on the drywall.

-Since we plugged in the dehumidifier we have kept the thermostat at 74. BEFORE we started all of this, and realized there was a BIG problem (found mold, house like a jungle, etc), the house was set at 68-ish, and was still warm.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022