SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Mostly-DIY renovation update (with pics)

Stacey Collins
15 years ago

Poor DH.... yesterday was his birthday and you know what we did? He took a half day (unpaid) off work, and we stripped 70-year-old plaster, drywall, and old wood out of our house. Until 7:30 when we took a break for Indian take-out, which we ate in the bedroom by candlelight (most of the electricity is off) in the cold (no boiler right now, we borrowed some wimpy space heaters) and dust (we put up plastic sheeting to keep most of it out of the bedrooms but it's only partially effective!)

We're mostly DIY-ing this project except for the framing and drywall. Our framers were supposed to start in a couple weeks, which would have given us time to do our demo in a more leisurely fashion, but they rescheduled for this week!

This reno includes a new kitchen, moved into a whole different room, which meant we needed to renovate the surrounding rooms at the same time.

Before pics:

Ripping up the kitchen floor (was that last weekend? It's all a blur!!!)

Removing all the sunporch wall paneling (knotty pine!) ceiling material (cardboard tiles and ancient insulation: a dead mouse fell on my head!) and flooring (carpet right on the slab, with old checkerboard tiles underneath). We also had to jackhammer out the brick and concrete steps. Those windows and door in the "brick" wall are coming out, and the whole thing will be part of the house instead of a seperate sunroom. It'll be the living room and dining room...

Notice the daylight you can see through holes in the rotted sheathing!!! Good thing we decided to rebuild these walls!

On Monday, the framers came in, took down the walls, and started rebuilding them:

They're now 2x6 and we have a framed & insulated floor....

Last night, DH and I demo'd the kitchen wall to studs, removed the cabinets that are in the way of the new walls, removed the DW and stripped plaster. We left the sink and a couple cabs to use in the next few weeks, and we HOPE we can temporarily hook the DW back up and use it after this weekend....

Other progress:

-Refrigerator is purchased and in the garage (CD FD JennAir Euro, floor model found on Craigslist $1800)

-Range purchased, sitting in a warehouse in Boston waiting for us (NXR 4x 15k BTU all-gas pro style $1900)

-DW purchased, same warehouse (Bosch, can't remember the model... the basic SS one costs about $550?)

-Hood purchased (Discontinued Thermador 600 CFM dual-blower. Bought the blower seperately and it just arrived. I plugged it in to see if it works and that sucker is LOUD!!!!! I hope, hope, hope that it's because it's not installed, isn't connected to the rheostat, etc. if it's that loud in real life I am doomed. Hood and blower were about $575.)

-Cabinets ordered, 5 weeks out. Glenwood shaker natural cherry. (About $7,000)

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH