SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emailhoffmans

Large gap between new leveled tub and concrete floor.

D H
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm in new construction and I am about to install a tub with surround. In order for the surround sections to line up properly, it is imperative that the tub portion be level. However, with the tub leveled on all four sides, the gap between the tub and the concrete floor at one end is up to 3/4 of an inch! In general there is a bit of a rise in the concrete floor where the PVC drain stubs were roughed in for the tub and the toilet.

Eventually, this bathroom will have in-floor heating, thin-set mortar, and ceramic tile installed. I don't install tile, so I'm not familiar with the amount of flexibility one has in the amount of gap one can make up when tiling, but 3/4" would seem like too much in my opinion (I tend toward precision in the work I do).

I'm not asking about shimming or mortaring the tub, that's not the problem. But before I commit to tub placement and screw this tub in, do I need to put in some self-leveling concrete to make up at least some of the difference with the floor, grind down the high spot? What's the best course of action?

Comments (9)