SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gail_armstrong57

To convert or not to convert?

Gail Armstrong
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

House: built in 1964, 3/2, 1969SF. Has a garage/carport (21 x 20) that was basically built to look like a room from the front and it's all closed in except for a part of one wall so technically it is not a "garage."

Had planned on adding garage doors, but I do a lot of animal rescue/foster so am now thinking of converting to living space since it's just that one wall. It already has 2 windows, the walls have painting wood paneling, the ceiling is finished, and there's even crown molding!

Would like to add french doors to the dining room (which would be the back wall of the space) and if I do enclose it, would like french doors and windows in that wall - basically lots of light!

Bringing AC/heat into the space would not be an issue.

Inside the space is a door to a 10x10 utility room and then the door in the back goes into the house.

Thoughts on doing this? I have lots of land and a long driveway so building an attached carport down the line is always an option. It's an older house in a sought-after neighborhood. If this were a newer build in a subdivision I wouldn't do it, but given that I have space to build a garage or carport and I'm doing this for me, I'm more inclined to do it.

Thoughts on cost of just framing out that one wall and how would you finish it since I'm unlikely to find a matching brick?

(note, the "garage" is that part on the right with the 2 smaller windows)

Comments (5)