saving money/cutting trash output
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (20)
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
TheMister - Hype or SaveMoney or Hurt A/C?
Comments (7)I've been a HVAC contractor for 26 years and there is nothing new about evaporative pre-cooling. Many of the systems years ago were not successful because the water was not treated in any way. I saw more than my fair share of AC units that had been ruined due to hard water. With the proper water treatment, however, this technology can significantly improve an AC system's efficiency and even prolong a unit's life. Without proper treatment of the water, there is more harm done than good. It seems the company includes a filter that uses 100% polyphosphate which should do the trick for anyone with municipal water. Polyphos will keep scale from forming or rust from corroding. However, I would not recommend you use the mister if you have water from a well. Well water could have other potentially damaging minerals that can't be filtered out. The main thing that is different about this system from previous ones i've seen is that it basically has a built in computer controlling when it runs. This should eliminate the concern over wasted water. The tax credit is a function of increased efficiency boost only. There are many products such as this that qualify technically... though a loophole of sorts. All a homeowner must do to cover themselves is include the certificate where the company states the product qualifies. I seriously doubt they'd be stupid enough to claim it qualifies if they can't back it up....See MoreMy biggest money saving tips
Comments (36)Car with standard transmission uses about 5 - possibly 10% less fuel. Skilfully done, car drivers can save even more. When you see a traffic signal turn yellow ahead - there's no law that says that you have to keep your foot continuing to push on the throttle! Then hit the brake, about a hundred feet from the intersection. Foot off of the throttle: coast toward the light. If you know it fairly well, you may be able to arrange to arrive close to the last car in the line just as it starts to move forward, and it takes less fuel to increase the speed while rolling that to start rolling from a standing stop. I often push in the clutch and turn off the ignition when I see a light go yellow ahead ... and can often manage to keep the car rolling as I approach a red light when it turns to green. Some say that coasting with the engine off is illegal in their jurisdiction, so best check with the legal people before you try that: the police here say that I am to be in charge of my vehicle at all times. No jack-rabbit starts when the light turns green, either. Try to arrange to travel with a friend driving a car that tells immediate fuel economy levels, get him to make a jack-rabbit start from a light that just turned green - and see your jaw drop as you see what mileage per gallon is being obtained at that point. Try to drive as closely as possible to the same speed, and a few miles/kms. per hour under the speed limit ... but not so far under as to be a hazard to the free flow of traffic. That's made easier by leaving a cushion of space between you and the car ahead ... and try not to get too incensed when other drivers pull into that hole in your lane, stealing your cushion. ole joyful...See MoreSaving Time so You Can Save Money
Comments (11)I'm not sure I'll be much help on this subject since I'm just now decluttering and reorganizing my home. Here's a few little things I'm doing: Since I don't have a regular pantry (I'm going to make one somewhere, someday--lol) I keep all breakfast items in one drawer, like instant oatmeal, grits, hot chocolate, etc. So, I know in a glance what I need and don't buy extras. I just tear off the top of the pkg. and set the whole thing in the drawer. I also keep my ironing supplies on one drawer---irons, spray starch, etc. I actually had to buy a second iron because I couldn't find the first one---before I organized! I took all on my junky paper and cut it into note size, put it in my desk drawer. If I have pretty junky mail, or envelopes, I cut them up to use as gift tags or small note cards. I hate frying bacon, so I bake it now on a rack. It's healthier and I don't have to spend so much time at the stove. I actually baked a pkg. this morning, used it all at once---now, we have bacon for tomorrow. I don't have very many closets, so I'm using decorative tins and hatboxes (I went thru a hatbox-making phase a few years back) for storage of sewing and craft supplies, and anything else that I can't find a place for!!! LOL These things hold a lot, so I may not have to buy any shelves. In my foyer area, I have a narrow table with a mirrow above it. I just cleaned out that drawer in the table----I have a place for car keys (his & hers), gloves, hairbrush, and glasses. Since I wash my hands a zillion times a day, I keep either an old dish detergent bottle or shampoo bottle with soap, water (*and now hand lotion or baby oil mixed in) under the sink to wash hands with. I just saw a Dr. on Tv say that if you wash your hands too much and they're dried out, germs can enter your body thru the cracked dry skin EASIER!! They were talking about the flu viruses. He actually said that rubbing your hands back and forth, creating friction, would kill germs on your hands!! Rub your hands, rub your hands!!!!!!...See MoreHow Do You Try To Save Money?
Comments (28)I do many of the things mentioned here. I am a proud thrifty person. When I married dh, I had quit my job due to an illness that kept me from being able to do it. He said I didn't have to work, and I told him I could make his pay stretch to exceed the amount that I was earning anyhow. He didn't believe me.... now he is amazed. I believe pennies add up to dollars. At first, he balked at some of my frugalness. He loved stopping at convenience stores, and grabbing things on the way to work. Now he gets a lunch that is the envy of his coworkers... they question what his cuisine of the day is, and drool... LOL He had trouble giving up eating out. But I keep my own homemade 'fast food' handy (like burger and fries, frozen homemade soups, etc), and on his trip home he will call and I give him the menu of the night.... let him order... and its ready when he gets here. Not every night, but a couple times a week. He is loving that now, he can eat supper in his sweat pants! I don't have to spoil him this way. However, its my way of staying frugal and keeping with his urge of 'what am I in the mood to eat tonight'. It works for us. Before we married, I watched him throw away food with bad spots in it. I just cringed! I use every little bit of everything... throwing away food is a huge no-no for me. 99% of our clothes are second hand from a thrift shop. I am very crafty, so I am always on the lookout for plain drab clothes that can be altered in some way and items I can rip up for the sewing notions off them. A plain t shirt embellished with lace insert made from an old lace curtain. A boxy blouse into a fitted with a few tucks sewn in. I keep my pantry and freezer full by ONLY buying what is on sale at my local store that week. If nothing 'grabs' me in the ad, I don't even shop. I am not brand loyal to many things. To me, name brand prices are silly, and I am just paying for the flashy ads. I never buy manufactured foods. Cheap or not. I can make the same thing cheaper, and know what ingredients are in it. Dh swears his health has improved due to my 'quality control' as he calls it. I keep my house cool in the winter, and warmer in the summer. I use power strips to shut off those appliances that pull electricity even when not in use. And unplug chargers when not in use. I use CFL bulbs in the lights that stay on for long periods of time. Shut off lights when no one is in the room. I bought an HE washer, which PAID FOR ITSELF in less than 6 months in the savings of water/sewer usage. Also, it is so gentle on clothes, your clothes last longer. I make my own laundry soap. I don't buy fancy cleaners. Ammonia, bleach and soap clean everything I need to clean. I WILL NOT run to the store for a craving. I see this with people around me. If it isn't in the house, we do without. I always do errands together while I am out. I use direct debit from my account for bills that I can. I mail other bills that are local, rather than deliver them in person. A stamp cost less than starting the vehicle and driving a block! I will walk to do some errands, on nice days. I use a tv antennae. I can use my internet connection to watch other shows. I cut the families hair, and my own. I know my hair better than a salon, and always have a nice style than they give me! Our two vehicles are over 15 years old, and well maintained. I try to repair anything that is broken, but if I can't, I do save any useful parts before discarding. It so handy to have a spring or a screw in the 'parts box' for another project. I always try to re-purpose things. Ruffled pillow shams have been valances, and chair back covers, as well as pretty pillow covers. I use olive oil for face cream. Cheap tearless baby shampoo to wash my face, and add table sugar to it when I want exfoliation. Vaseline for body lotion. I will take others cast off furniture. The only item I have bought new was our mattress. Paint or stain can make almost anything else 'match'. My decor is family photos and drawing from grandchildren, framed in thrift store frames or on bulletin boards, house plants and mirrors. My kitchen decor is the items I use to cook with. We have no debt. I am sure there is much more. Yes, cooking from scratch and sewing, etc seems to take a bit more time. Maybe not, since I save the time that I would have spent driving to and sitting in a restaurant, or walking through a mall! But I take caring for family as serious as if I clocked into a job every day. I see people give more effort to their employer, than their own home and family, and I wonder.... about their priorities. I got my 'reward' just recently. My dh told me I am an amazing woman. I took 'nothing', and made a beautiful home out it.......See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN CABINETS9 Ways to Save Money on Kitchen Cabinets
Hold on to more dough without sacrificing style with these cost-saving tips
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESHow to Save Money on Succulents
Do you love succulents but not their price tags? Find out how to enjoy their beauty for less
Full Story
Replace Your Windows and Save Money — a How-to Guide
Reduce drafts to lower heating bills by swapping out old panes for new, in this DIY project for handy homeowners
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNThese 4 Planting Strategies Can Save You Money
Use seeds, plugs and more to keep costs down as you fill out your garden
Full Story
ACCESSORIESEasy Green: Cut Electricity Use With 15 Unplugged Home Devices
Crank up the energy savings, courtesy of household items that come into power the old-fashioned way: manually
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN7 Ways to Save on Your Kitchen Remodel
Discover key areas where you can economize and still get the kitchen of your dreams
Full Story
SAVING WATER11 Ways to Save Water at Home
Whether you live in a drought-stricken area or just want to help preserve a precious resource, here are things you can do to use less water
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESBudget Decorator: How to Save When You Don’t DIY
You don’t have to be crafty to decorate your home inexpensively. Here are other ways to stretch your design dollars
Full Story
EARTH DAY6 Projects to Create Beautiful, Water-Saving Outdoor Spaces
Find out how to replace your lawn with a garden, make your landscape more permeable, install a greywater system and more
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN10 Big Space-Saving Ideas for Small Kitchens
Feeling burned over a small cooking space? These features and strategies can help prevent kitchen meltdowns
Full Story
Rusty