SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

How Do You Try To Save Money?

How do you try to save money? Do you go to thrift shops, yard sales, clearance sales or what? I seldom pay full price for larger purchases. In the food department when something I use comes on sale I buy more than one, several usually. I never go to a book store to buy books, one of my passions, but buy all of mine at rummage sales. Granddaughter Alyssa is very well dressed and everyone at church admires all of her different outfits she wears each Sunday. She gets her clothes from rummage sales and consignment shops. Toys also are bought the same way. I love to sew, but have a hard time finding the time. I do have a very large stash of patterns and fabric and when the time permits will sew some things that we need. It is very hard for me to pay full price for something when I know I can find it for a better price. If it is something I want I watch for it to come on a special sale. So how about you, how do you save?

Sue

Comments (28)

• kayjones
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I save exactly as you do, Marilyn - word for word!

• enjoyingspring
    12 years ago

I do about the same as you. My husband and I both buy our clothes at second hand stores, we are better dressed than most people. We always look for the better lables on clothing. I love garage sales too buy all my grandsons toys at them.

We like to eat out but dinner is to expensive, so my husband and I go out for breakfast every Sunday morning. We always go for a drive on Sundays and then stop for breakfast, always a new place.

• Related Discussions

time to buy pulls... how do save money??

Q

Comments (10)
    I used Amerock Westerly pulls. I could have purchased them in bulk from Amazon, but I paid a little more to order through the plumbing supply place because they gave me a really good price on all the big stuff I ordered through them. The price was still decent though. If you can find a style or two you like, you can then google a bit to compare prices or find a find a very similar style.
    ...See More

What do you do that saves you money AND is kind to nature?

Q

Comments (14)
    Keep advertising flyers printed only one side using typewriter paper to use to write notes, make calculations, etc. The ones written on both sides I save in a grocery bag to put in the recycle bin for fine paper. Got a heavy paper/card flyer, regular office size from a local deli in the mail today - will punch holes in it and use it for subject divider in ring binder. When I get their flyers half that size, glue a store flyer printed one side to them - then can use it to write material that I want to use frequently (e.g. phone numbers, listing of area codes, frequently used web site, e-mail addresses, etc.) on that blank sheet. Newspapers saved in different bundle. Use large sheet of scrap cardboard to build open-top box to organize magazines that I wish to save for future reference, to stand up on bookshelf. Cardboard pie boxes will do the job, as well - but they don't stand alone as well. Need to cover plastic window on inside so doesn't catch on mags with a sheet of (used) printer paper, held in place with a dollop or so of glue. We just had a shot of snow this morning - much earlier than usual. Brrr-r-r-r. With electric baseboard heating (and inadequate insulation in this rented townhouse), I can adjust heat room by room, so keep heat level low in kitchen, where I'm usually moving around. Turned heat up in bathroom yesterday. Keep it rather low in office, as well. Put on winter underwear this morning. When it gets cold I wear a sweater, batting-insulated vest and light jacket. Wear a hat to cover my head (only lightly insulated by hair). Get along O.K. until fingers get cold. My 22 year old Ford van has couple of leaks in roof, small holes in body and major hole in floor. Am getting some body metal, pop rivets to secure pieces that I've cut and shaped, tar to coat the outside under floorboard, fender, etc. and body paste to smooth over new metal to blend in with current body, then can sand and paint. Retrieved several spray cans with a dab of paint left from garbage, a couple of years ago. Several colours - but I plan to use only black and white, thank you. Not really a hard job. Should cost approximately $50. Better than scrapping the vehicle - which looks rather scruffy and some said that I should do four years ago when I did last body job. Takes a lot of materials and energy to build a new vehicle - so I say it's best to run the old ones into the ground. There are some rust spots on the hatch at the back of the 13 year old car, so need to use wire brush in electric drill to clean off rust, then smooth out with body paste, and paint with primer and finish coat. (Don't have right colour paint on hand). If I don't do it soon - I'll have rust holes to deal with. Much more effort required, then. Annual insurance (I don't carry collision coverage, of course) on both costs about 150% of what I paid for the van, 13 years ago. It had around 150,000 mi. on it then - about 190,000 now. Originally used it to deliver corn-fired heating stoves that I used to sell. Anyone know where I can find some hot air? Surely not produced by anyone around here! joyful guy
    ...See More

Saving Time so You Can Save Money

Q

Comments (11)
    I'm not sure I'll be much help on this subject since I'm just now decluttering and reorganizing my home. Here's a few little things I'm doing: Since I don't have a regular pantry (I'm going to make one somewhere, someday--lol) I keep all breakfast items in one drawer, like instant oatmeal, grits, hot chocolate, etc. So, I know in a glance what I need and don't buy extras. I just tear off the top of the pkg. and set the whole thing in the drawer. I also keep my ironing supplies on one drawer---irons, spray starch, etc. I actually had to buy a second iron because I couldn't find the first one---before I organized! I took all on my junky paper and cut it into note size, put it in my desk drawer. If I have pretty junky mail, or envelopes, I cut them up to use as gift tags or small note cards. I hate frying bacon, so I bake it now on a rack. It's healthier and I don't have to spend so much time at the stove. I actually baked a pkg. this morning, used it all at once---now, we have bacon for tomorrow. I don't have very many closets, so I'm using decorative tins and hatboxes (I went thru a hatbox-making phase a few years back) for storage of sewing and craft supplies, and anything else that I can't find a place for!!! LOL These things hold a lot, so I may not have to buy any shelves. In my foyer area, I have a narrow table with a mirrow above it. I just cleaned out that drawer in the table----I have a place for car keys (his & hers), gloves, hairbrush, and glasses. Since I wash my hands a zillion times a day, I keep either an old dish detergent bottle or shampoo bottle with soap, water (*and now hand lotion or baby oil mixed in) under the sink to wash hands with. I just saw a Dr. on Tv say that if you wash your hands too much and they're dried out, germs can enter your body thru the cracked dry skin EASIER!! They were talking about the flu viruses. He actually said that rubbing your hands back and forth, creating friction, would kill germs on your hands!! Rub your hands, rub your hands!!!!!!
    ...See More

Trying to save money on energy bills in winter

Q

Comments (6)
    How many inches of spray foam to you plan to install? It would need to be a higher R value in order to lower the heating load. Spray foam is great for sealing air leaks. But a good well installed moisture barrier would also stop air leakage, but perhaps not as well. Get estimates for both. If the price difference is small then go with the spray foam.
    ...See More
  • workoutlady
    12 years ago

I check on second hand stores and thrift sales but usually don't find much. I live in a rural area and the nearest store is an hour away. I have found that my time spent trying to find what I need and want is just as important as the money I'm saving. One thing that was started here is a group garage sale on facebook for people that live in my area. I think that's a great idea. I haven't found anything that I neeed yet, but it's great to know that I can just put an "add" on this group and someone may have what I'm looking for.

• bee0hio
    12 years ago

That sounds like a neat idea, Scissors.

I'm not one for finding things @ SA, GW, or thrift stores, or digging thru piles of clothes @ rummage sales, etc. Tho' dh has founds some great items. Being retired, I don't need to "dress", so I just don't need many new clothes, & wear lots of old clothes around the house. What new clothes I buy are always on sale.

I save $ on books by using the library. If mine doesn't have a particular book they can often get it from another library in the state, all over the state. Same way with audio books that I listen to.

If a nice restaurant has take out service, that is another way to save $ as you don't have to tip the 15-25%, & cheaper drinks/alcohol @ home. And speaking of drinks, they're overpriced @ restaurants & so we almost always just drink water.

We believe in LBYM... live below your means. We haven't had a loan or anything with an interest pay't for yearssss, probably since the mortgage was paid off in the late 80's. So that has saved us a ton of $. We don't live in a McMansion, drive the fanciest car, etc. either. That's not for everyone, but suits us.

• two25acres
    12 years ago

I shop a local (40 minutes away) goodwill store every Sunday morning. Me and hubby do it together. He heads to the electronics and housewares section, I head to the clothing. Always looking for designer labels for both of us. I haven't purchased "new" clothing for either of us in a couple of years. We have snagged many good deals there especially this time of year when stores are getting rid of inventory and taking advantage of the tax breaks. We have found in the original boxes and many times unopened items. We found a brand new Dyson vacuum cleaner for $199 and used our 50% off coupon, we recently purchased a brand new fire pit for a christmas gift. I also attack the linens section for quilts/blankets and repurpose them into patchwork quilts for family. Rugs and towels are big items as well, I've gotten many brand new sets of Ralph Lauren towels and lots of beach towels as we have a pool. When we purchased our home I was taken aback at how many window treatments we would need. So far all 4 bedrooms, the dinette and office have been fitted with goodwill draperies. I've only purchased new for the dining room and made my own for the family room. I also shop thier auction, every morning checking to see what is ending. Just recently snagged a $300 Walter Payton throw back jersey for hubbies christmas gift. With shipping I paid less than $40.00. We were also able to snag a Ralph Lauren pullover with the original tags on it, shirt for hubby. I can't see paying $98 for a shirt but am happy to pay less than a third for it. Presently watching for some nice dress boots.
    We live rural and when we go somewhere we maximize our trip hitting all the errands we need to do at the same time. Sunday mornings on the way to goodwill we will also hit a consignment store in a higher end town, almost always pays off.
    We also have only one vehicle, it's a 2001 GMC Denali with almost 250k miles on it. Yes it uses gas but we have no car payments and we are blessed to work together so we are able to do get by with just the one vehicle. I just can't justify purchasing a vehicle and having a car payment to save gas. We insure it with full coverage just in case.
    I've started doing the coupon thing, just waiting to get a bigger supply to really take advantage of the savings. Figure just after tday I will hit the stores for maximum savings.
    I also garden for lots of veggies and of course it's good for us. Just picked up my cattle fencing for trellising next years cucumbers, squash, beans, cantelope and small watermelons as well as the eggplant. My tomatoes have not done well so we are moving them to containers in the front of the house. On a recent trip I found stainless steel garbage cans with dents - reduced. Perfect for my heirlooms and they will go great in the front along the driveway. We have 9 beds in the garden area and every year I was having to spend money and landscape fabric/mulch to keep the weeds down. This year we spent a little money on indoor/outdoor carpeting and laid it out between the beds. Perfect, no more weeds and I have found it keeps the snakes out. They don't like the carpet and I don't have to mulch anymore.
    I also hang my laundry from April through November and those occasional warm days in between. During the cold months I dry them inside on a laundry rack. Clothes last longer and I use less energy.
    I could go on but I'll stop and see what everyone else does in hopes of learning something new.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

I like Freecycle. If there's something that I want I'll post there first. Whether it's a particular book, or something large like my frig and stove. That was an extra-good bonus!
    Same when someone is offering things, I always ask and if I'm lucky to be gifted that item, great; if not, there's always next time.
    I've gotten cat food, litter, cookbooks, clothing for both of us, fax machine, food processor, file folders; far too many items to list.

I hate clothes shopping with a passion, so I only shop when I absolutely need to and it has to be on sale. I sometimes have good luck at Value Village, etc, but not often.

I have some of Mom's clothes at a consignment shop, and it's a very nice one. I'll be going there when I need something.

I never buy pre-packaged meals, boxed foods, etc. I stock up on specials, and shop the flyers.

• Rudebekia
    12 years ago

I stay out of debt completely so never pay interest on credit cards or loans. I rarely shop second hand stores but I do find bargains at places like Marshalls and I try to buy well made clothes that last. In general, I'm not a "clothes horse" and am happiest in a pair of jeans and sweater with just a few dressy items in the closet. I charge every purchase to a credit card (rarely if ever use cash or checks) but make sure I pay the total each month. My biggest splurge is food: I'm not as disciplined as I could be in this area. I like to eat out and to buy what I want to make at home. Overall I try to live simply and within a fairly tight monthly budget. I've managed to do this for many years with good results: no debt, plenty of savings, big and small home projects completed, etc.

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

Well, we do buy a lot from Amazon, and other web sites, especially when we get free shipping.
    At the supermarket, I buy extra when things I know we'll use are on sale.

• vala55
    12 years ago

I still try to find good buys, but it is not a priority at my age...like it used to be. I haven't seen a hearse pulling a u-haul yet, so I am enjoying our savings. If I want it I buy it, but I try not do impulse buys. I am not as selfish as that sounded. I bought my son a very nice PC, he is single and handicapped. I also started to buy my nephew a new one, then thought mine is better than the one I picked out for him, so I gave him mine and bought a new one for myself....um, that was a little selfish of me. What I am say is I help family members who really, really need it.

• Adella Bedella
    12 years ago

When my kids were little, I bought a lot of clothes from garage sales and the thrift store. I rarely paid more than $1. My kids were always dressed really cute. Now I do a lot of shopping when clothes go on 75% clearance at the end of the end of the season. I buy ahead for the next year. I often find clothes cheaper than at the thrift stores. I still love to go to garage sales and thrift stores. I often find artwork and fun stuff for decorating. My kids always seem to need costumes for school and extracurricular activities. We find a lot of stuff you can't buy in stores. I find a lot of kids books from Scholastic for $.50. It's easier to tell the kids no when we get hit up with the school book fair fundraisers. I still donate to the library, but I don't spend as much.

Our credit cards are the kind where you get a percentage back. We put everything on them and then pay them off in full every month. We get a $250 check back every so often that we put into savings.

• gardenspice
    12 years ago

Every two or three years we review our home/auto/umbrella policies to make sure that they are still competitive - the last two times we found substantial savings.
    We negotiate with the cable company when the latest promotion expires.
    We are pretty handy and tend to repair rather than replace and we have no problems doing home repairs and updates on our own.
    Overall we try to be thoughtful about our consumption, waste less and save aggressively.

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

I stock up more than I need to, guess living in the mountains and being too far from stores are ingrained in my brain. Even here, I still have too much, but again no competation in the grocery stores. Do miss the stores in CA and selection. Miss the good places to eat in No CA and around where my sister in law in Orange County lives. Fook ok here, but nothing outstanding, even in the known eateries. As to clothing? just don't shop much as I still have way too much, even after my sorting out. We need winter and summer clothes and I don't have much storage place in this house.

• kfca37
    12 years ago

I too shop at thrift stores/garage sales. My current thrift shop seems to have a tie in with The Gap, as they frequently have new items from that company. I do purchase in volume from Lands End when they have sales & shipping is free.

We do like to go out to eat, almost always ethnic restaurants where the food is already reasonable & plentiful. I almost always pay cash as I know these type places are already getting by on slim margins. Whether we eat in or do "takeout", I always tip around 15%---think it tacky to do otherwise, so no savings there. We do find that "take-out for one" generally suffices for both of us however.

Since we also like to make money as well as save money & bank interest is currently sooo low, we also invest our discretionary income monthly in dividend-paying stocks to add to our retirement income---looking for somewhere between a 3-6% return (& hopefully a capital gain) vs. a bank's 1/2% or less return.

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

I'm not a good consumer, I admit it. I could not tell you the price of anything, can seldom even tell you what something I just bought cost. That's just me and hubby (an accountant!!!!) cringes about it. About the only thing I do religiously is buy my groceries at a store when we earn fuel perks for gas savings. But I have my limits, I use coupons for office supplies....and I buy gift cards to earn the fuel perks!

• cheri2008
    12 years ago

I ask myself before I make a purchase..is this something I really need...

• pekemom
    12 years ago

Along the lines of cheri2008, I ask myself just how happy
    will buying this item make me, and for how long..
    A lot of times I realize it's just a momentary whim..

• OklaMoni
    12 years ago

I wash only full loads of clothes. Then, I use a rack to hang my laundry on for drying. Yes, even in the winter... only in the winter I set my rack up indoors, to moisturize the air, and not need a humidifier.

I don't eat out often. I don't go to bars for a drink, I pour myself one at home.

I take my own home made lunches to work.

I often rode my bike to work (before it got stolen) to save on gas, and to make me feel good (which I do, if I get to ride..).

I cut my own hair.

Yes, most of my clothes come from goodwill.

I also use plastic shopping bags I get from friends as trash can liners (I use cloth when I shop).

Oh, yeah, home made detergent for the washing machine, and s shot of vinegar in the rinse cycle rather than fabric softener.

Moni
    PS, now I will read what the rest of you do. :)

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

Moni reminded me......I too use the homemade laundry detergent....have for years.

Haven't used the dryer in 4 years. I have a large drying rack that I put out on the balcony, year-round. When we bring it in, in the winter, everything is frozen and has snow on it. The cat loves laying underneath it, in the cold.

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

I don't buy anything unless I absolutely need it, hate spending money. I buy generics whenever possible and use coupons when I see them, that's about it.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

In addtion to all the methods mentioned above I have a method of saving a lot of money on produce.

I bought a 50# bag of potatoes at the commercial farmers mkt for $12. I then took the bag to our local senior center where I divided it into five equal parts, kept one for myself and sold the other four for $3 each. They got 10# of potatoes for $3 and I got mine free....so everybody got a bargain....LOL.

I plan to do the same thing with sweet potatoes this week..

In the last 4 years I have bought over $15,000 worth of photography equipment through the Goodwill online auction and I have spent a total of $2,000 including S&H.

• two25acres
    12 years ago

Great deals Lazypup, sometimes I am amazed at the camera's on the auction. Haven't purchased any but they sure do have some nice ones.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

two.25acres..

I originally started my interest in photography in 1966 when I bought an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic, which at the time it was the only professional SLR that had an eye level viewfinder & a built in light meter. (Nikon had an optional viewfinder for the Nikon F that had a light meter built in the viewfinder. It was called the Nikon F- photomic & Canon was not yet producing SLR's).

One of the big selling points of the Pentax was that the parent company, Asahi Optical, was the leading producer of medical optics in the world and for many years there was a running battle year to year between Nikon & Pentax for who could produce the best lenses, and more often than not, the award went to Pentax.

Pentax has always been on the leading edge of technology, by example, in 1968 they introduced the Spotmatic II, which was the first camera with a hot shoe for the flash. They later introduced the worlds first full auto exposure SLR and they introduced the worlds first autofocus, but even more important, Pentax has continued to use a reverse engineering practice, whereby as they brought out new cameras and features you could still use any genuine Pentax or Takumar lens or accessory.

Over the years I had acquired an number of Pentax film cameras and a long list of lenses and accessories but film is expensive and it is getting exceedingly more difficult to find a place to have the film processed so about 4 years ago I switched to digital.

I now have two Pentax DSLR's and hopefully a third one in about a month, not to mention a collection of over 21 genuine Pentax or Takumar lenses and who knows how many other lenses with a Pentax mount.

I primarily watch the Goodwill auction for older Pentax film cameras that have additional lenses or accessories in the kit. I really don't need the camera but if I can buy a set for $25 or $30 +S&H and gain a lens worth a couple hundred dollars I am all for it......LOL

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I too make and use the homemade laundry soap. We heat with wood and since our son is in the tree trimming business he supplies us with wood. Our business is also heated with wood with wood furnaces. Our family does most work around our homes themselves, roofing, drywall, work on the well, mowing, trimming, painting, just about you name it. One thing we usually hire someone to do is to clean out the septic tank. They do dig the dirt off the top since son has a track hoe. Today they are taking down a big sycamore tree at daughter's house as it was damaged in a storm this spring. I guess they have it down and now the cutting it up has begun. I do not groom Izzi, I like to have her clipped most of the time as she gets pretty warm. They do other things for her, and I get a senior discount so it is really reasonable. I no longer hang laundry out to dry, I did for most of my married life, but now no. I do like the smell of laundry dried outside. I am sure there are a lot of other things we do, but can't think of them just now.

Sue

• cynic
    12 years ago

Growing up in a frugal family the best way to try to save money is simply not spend it. No special trips to the store. If you're not in a store, you're not as likely to spend money. I buy things I need on clearance when I can. George S. Patton is inspiring - Let some other SOB pay full price.

There's the obvious cost savings. Use CFLs and turn them off when not in use. Turn the stove/oven off a bit early and use residual heat. Close off unused rooms and don't heat or air condition them. Combine trips, get things when you're at one store rather than 20 stops unless you really save enough to warrant it. No magazines, newspaper subscriptions. No ridiculous cell phone costs. My limit on cell is $10/month. I prefer when I get it for about $3/month...

I don't need all the new toys & gadgets. My older computer does everything I need it to do and I paid $350 for it new. I don't have cable or satellite and won't get it.

Let the sun warm you in the winter - open shades, then close them at night. Keep them closed on cold, windy winter days to retail heat. Shade trees and shades in the summer to keep cooler. I make my vehicles last a long time. I don't need to remodel/redecorate regularly. I have modest tastes and don't try to keep up with the Jones.

I'll buy new when it's more cost-effective than fixing the old, otherwise I still subscribe to some of the old sayings like reduce, reuse, recycle. Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without, etc.

Paying bills online saves me about $50+ annually in postage and related expenses. More than that actually when you factor in gas and time of going to mail them.

I paid off my mortgage and don't feel a need to run out and get another. I watch my utilities and monitor if they're higher than usual and do something about it if need be.

"Free after rebate" is a wonderful sound on things I can use. I don't go to coffee shops, vending machines or the like. I carry water and tea with me in my vehicle for when I'm thirsty and yes, I drink the much-maligned bottled spring water that some feel is the end of the world! LOL

However I don't live like an animal. I will spend on the things I need to spend on and treat myself OK occasionally too. And I refuse to play the silly "money games". I don't set up envelopes with the budget in there since you inevitably rob Peter to pay Paula. Or the one where you keep all your change in a non interest bearing jar, or all your $1 bills or other silliness so you can spend money on another unnecessary trip to the bank to cash it in and think you have accomplished something when all you did was spend more to shift the money around. Seems to me it's better to keep the bigger bills rather than keep the coins! And also better to just leave the money in the bank.

The most important things I've discovered is know what you have for income, know what you have for essential expenses and not get hung up on Hallmark days.

• kathy_
    12 years ago

I have animals so saving on them doesn't happen much. I do get free board for the horses by taking care of the farm owners horses. I buy their grain and wormer too. The farmer who leases the land supplies all the hay, but I am frugal with it and fence off different sections of field so they can go onto different ungrazed areas.

I love what Diamond dog food does for the dog's coats so I switch between Pedigree and Diamond to save a little money.

I don't go to malls or buy new clothes often. I research everything I buy online. Only have been "bitten" once by a kitchen scale that didn't work and seemed like cheap junk (with great reviews!).

We have an Amish bent and dent market about 12 miles away. Best place for popcorn and Fiber One bars that I eat a lot. Plus the last big bag of Pedigree was $7 because it was an open bag taped shut.

A German Brethren market is closer. They have local produce cheaper than any stores close by.

I had been drying all the clothes on a rack, but since I have too much work at here and mom's place, the dryer has been my friend lately.

We use window units in the summer and hubby keeps the thermostat at about 50 at night. We have an electric blanket and I turn the heat back up after he leaves for work (just for a little while).

I see the new gadgets on tv and know what will be out at yard sales next year. Some I buy, but most times I talk myself out of them.

• wildchild
    12 years ago

I use cash. I don't even have a debit card. I always know know much I have.

I do use some credit cards but they have "rewards" and I pay them off in full each month.

I never pay full price on something I can get for less. I research purchases carefully online.

I rent cars on Priceline for travel. I did the math. Cheaper than driving my own when you add wear and tear and how much mileage I use on a trip. I like to take the roads less traveled and explore. Go where the wind takes me so to speak.

I clip coupons and use them but only for things that I normally buy. I never buy something just because I have a coupon. I try to use coupons on things when they are on sale if I need them or know I will use them.

I'm not impressionable. Don't need "as seen on TV" junk, don't give a rat's patootie about fashion,don't need to keep up with the Joneses or anyone else.

My '98 GMC truck is nearing 200k miles. Looks clean, runs fine. Yes I am ready to replace it but only because my/our needs have changed.

We stayed in the second home we bought. Didn't keep moving up. Thus our mortgage is paid off and our taxes stayed low. (at least compared to our friends and neighbors).

We only have lights on in the room we are using. We don't have the tv or radio on unless we are watching or listening to it.

I married a man who can repair things, design things,build things and installs things. We have saved a bundle by not needing to hire others. Now that we are older we do have a plumber and an electrician for crawling in tight places and we did have roofer replace our roof. But most everything else is DIY.

As we have aged our medical expenses have gone up even with excellent insurance. So we put the maximum allowed into our flex plan. Takes care of regular stuff like co-pays if we don't use it up for other things but also allows us to fix things that aren't covered before we get too old to care, like dental work and the lasik I had this year.

• kathy_
    12 years ago

"I married a man who can repair things, design things,build things and installs things. We have saved a bundle by not needing to hire others. Now that we are older we do have a plumber and an electrician for crawling in tight places and we did have roofer replace our roof. But most everything else is DIY."

Now why didn't I read that when I was 24??

• RuskitD
    12 years ago

I do many of the things mentioned here. I am a proud thrifty person. When I married dh, I had quit my job due to an illness that kept me from being able to do it. He said I didn't have to work, and I told him I could make his pay stretch to exceed the amount that I was earning anyhow.
    He didn't believe me.... now he is amazed. I believe pennies add up to dollars.

At first, he balked at some of my frugalness. He loved stopping at convenience stores, and grabbing things on the way to work. Now he gets a lunch that is the envy of his coworkers... they question what his cuisine of the day is, and drool... LOL
    He had trouble giving up eating out. But I keep my own homemade 'fast food' handy (like burger and fries, frozen homemade soups, etc), and on his trip home he will call and I give him the menu of the night.... let him order... and its ready when he gets here. Not every night, but a couple times a week. He is loving that now, he can eat supper in his sweat pants!
    I don't have to spoil him this way. However, its my way of staying frugal and keeping with his urge of 'what am I in the mood to eat tonight'. It works for us.

Before we married, I watched him throw away food with bad spots in it. I just cringed! I use every little bit of everything... throwing away food is a huge no-no for me.

99% of our clothes are second hand from a thrift shop. I am very crafty, so I am always on the lookout for plain drab clothes that can be altered in some way and items I can rip up for the sewing notions off them. A plain t shirt embellished with lace insert made from an old lace curtain. A boxy blouse into a fitted with a few tucks sewn in.

I keep my pantry and freezer full by ONLY buying what is on sale at my local store that week. If nothing 'grabs' me in the ad, I don't even shop. I am not brand loyal to many things. To me, name brand prices are silly, and I am just paying for the flashy ads.
    I never buy manufactured foods. Cheap or not. I can make the same thing cheaper, and know what ingredients are in it. Dh swears his health has improved due to my 'quality control' as he calls it.

I keep my house cool in the winter, and warmer in the summer. I use power strips to shut off those appliances that pull electricity even when not in use. And unplug chargers when not in use. I use CFL bulbs in the lights that stay on for long periods of time. Shut off lights when no one is in the room.

I bought an HE washer, which PAID FOR ITSELF in less than 6 months in the savings of water/sewer usage. Also, it is so gentle on clothes, your clothes last longer.
    I make my own laundry soap.
    I don't buy fancy cleaners. Ammonia, bleach and soap clean everything I need to clean.

I WILL NOT run to the store for a craving. I see this with people around me. If it isn't in the house, we do without. I always do errands together while I am out.
    I use direct debit from my account for bills that I can.
    I mail other bills that are local, rather than deliver them in person. A stamp cost less than starting the vehicle and driving a block!
    I will walk to do some errands, on nice days.

I use a tv antennae. I can use my internet connection to watch other shows.

I cut the families hair, and my own. I know my hair better than a salon, and always have a nice style than they give me!
    Our two vehicles are over 15 years old, and well maintained. I try to repair anything that is broken, but if I can't, I do save any useful parts before discarding. It so handy to have a spring or a screw in the 'parts box' for another project.
    I always try to re-purpose things. Ruffled pillow shams have been valances, and chair back covers, as well as pretty pillow covers.

I use olive oil for face cream. Cheap tearless baby shampoo to wash my face, and add table sugar to it when I want exfoliation. Vaseline for body lotion.

I will take others cast off furniture. The only item I have bought new was our mattress. Paint or stain can make almost anything else 'match'.

My decor is family photos and drawing from grandchildren, framed in thrift store frames or on bulletin boards, house plants and mirrors.
    My kitchen decor is the items I use to cook with.

We have no debt.

I am sure there is much more. Yes, cooking from scratch and sewing, etc seems to take a bit more time. Maybe not, since I save the time that I would have spent driving to and sitting in a restaurant, or walking through a mall! But I take caring for family as serious as if I clocked into a job every day. I see people give more effort to their employer, than their own home and family, and I wonder.... about their priorities.

I got my 'reward' just recently. My dh told me I am an amazing woman. I took 'nothing', and made a beautiful home out it....