SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clairecwang

How to fix 2" difference in floor height?

clairecwang
5 years ago

I'm interested in purchasing a condo that previously had marble flooring in the living room/dining area. The concrete subflooring required to support the marble raised the floor height 2

inches, causing a sharp drop to the kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, and outside hallway. That's a tripping hazard!

I'd like to minimize the height difference and put down new tile in the bathrooms and engineered hardwood throughout the rest of the unit. I spoke to a flooring guy, and he said it would be easier to raise the height of the kitchen, bathrooms, and bedrooms than to remove the concrete subflooring from the living room/dining area. (This wouldn't correct the drop to the outside hallway, but a carpet shim might help.) But this means that the kitchen and bathroom cabinets and fixtures would need to removed and replaced, which adds more work and expense, plus there's no guarantee that the granite countertops could be salvaged.

Does anyone have any ideas for a more cost-effective solution? Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)