SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_773867

Walnut butcher block white blush

Danielle
5 years ago

I purchased 36 liner feet of unfinished walnut butcher block from lumber liquidators.

On the four foot section I sanded and cleaned then applied a pure tung oil finish in the manner that I have used in the past, on maple that was awesome. After about a month it developed a white blush on some of the darker pieces throughout the counter. I sanded and cleaned it back to new then applied watco butcher block oil. This counter looks great. (I did this step after oiling the 12 foot section)

on a 12 foot section I used mineral oil for two applications then an oil and wax combo. On a 2 foot cut off I only used mineral oil. Both of these sections also developed the white blush on some of the darkest pieces After a few days.

I then spent two week, of daily cleaning with acetone to cut the wax and oil. I sanded in between. The counter finally looked dry and unfinished. I started with 80 grit and worked to 220 grit. By the time I hit it with 180 grit my sandpaper was clean and I knew the oil and wax was gone.

i put one coat of the watco butcher block oil on last night and this morning that white blush was back.

This blush is funny in that you can definitely see it, it feels silky smooth just like the rest but if you rub it one way it blends in more and if rubbed the other way it sticks out more. More sanding and more cleaning does not help, what ever I put over it makes it white again.

i even bought a buffer and tried to buff it out.

does anyone know why this is happening and how I can prevent it?

thank you

Comments (22)