SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Log cabin finished

5 years ago

This is another top made by my mom. She wasn't able to handle large quilt tops for several years before she passed away two years ago, so I estimate this top was finished 8 - 10 years ago. I assembled backing and cut batting back in Jan. or Feb., then for some reason put it away again. When DH's family drew names for Christmas, I got his older sister's name. Sister J was very fond of my mom so I decided to quilt it and it will go to her for Christmas. It's 80 X 92 and is the largest quilt I've quilted in a long time! I did a meandering stitch all over.

I did some dumb things so it was a challenge to quilt. First, I made backing that is dark green with a strip of light tan on one side. I think I was just trying to use fabric I had on hand. I decided to use dark green thread in the bobbin since most of the back is dark green, but the quilting really stands out in the light section. (Not really a bad thing, just not subtle LOL.)

I also made a perpendicular seam when I sewed that tan strip to the backing, so that caused quilting challenges.

And evidently I loaded the batting sideways because I was fighting with it the whole time to make sure it stayed straight since I only had about 1/2" extra on the sides. But, I have a nice big piece left over for the next quilt!

Donna

Comments (13)