SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naveen_akarapu

Living room setup help - seating

Naveen
5 years ago

Hello

The living room in our new home is a blank slate except for the sofa (which we just got). There's a lot to do, and I'm thinking of going in the bigger to smaller order:

• Rest of the seating (chairs, loveseat, etc)
  • Rug
  • Curtains
  • Wall decor, pillows, etc

The seating (and maybe a rug) would help us entertain guests. So we're thinking about that first, but feel totally lost. Should we get a love seat? Or couple of (arm) chairs? These would provide only 5-person seating; should I get ottomans for rest of the seating? Which colors and materials?

Would love to hear advice from you.

Couple of considerations:

• We have a 18-month old, and she basically rules the living space. We want to keep it as open as possible, so she can still run around a bit. So for example we're not planning on a coffee table in the middle (may be a multi-purpose ottoman?).
  • Also because of her, we cannot get the lightest colored materials (we like light and bright colors) because they will get stained pretty soon. But not sure which colors would go play well with the sofa and which material can cope best. The sofa is leather but the rest don't have to be.

Comments (19)

• Naveen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So far I am leaning towards this setup:

• Setup: Couple of armchairs facing the windows; lower profile/mid-back so that they don't block the light and the rooms feels more open.
    • Material: Microfiber for the chairs, so that it's easier to clean
    • Plain vs patterns: thinking of getting the chairs in plain, and then add color/pattern through pillows and the area rug.
    • One or two ottomans that would serve as storage, coffee tables and extra seating (not sure if I should get the ones that come with chairs). These would go against the window wall.
    • Color: May be blue or grey?

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago
    First find a rug you love and go from there. It should be large enough to leave a foot or two of the wood floors showing around the perimeter. Center it with the room and fireplace. Bring all the furniture in so at least the front legs are on it. The sofa should be centered with the fireplace with enough room to walk comfortably behind it. Adding a sofa table behind allows you to double as an entry table and is more interesting than looking at just the back of the couch. You could add a love seat in front of the window forming an L with the couch put a square end table in the corner for lamps and drinks. It could help keep small hands away from the blinds. Pulling furniture off the walls actually helps bring the room together and doesn't make it feel smaller if the room is large as yours seems to be.
  • Related Discussions

Purchased new home but unhappy with living room setup. What to do!?

Q

Comments (1)
    We just moved in so everything is still a mess. I know I need a lot more little things in the room but Im focused on the furniture at the moment. This view is from the dinningroom/kitchen
    ...See More

Help! Tried to add seating to living room/den

Q

Comments (9)
    Really a pretty room! im going to assume this is your only living room and the loveseat is non returnable. so, to solve your dilema, we need to make the loveseat fit in. first, add a table with lamp between the sofa and loveseat. have the table as tall as the arm on the loveseat. Then, make the loveseat ”bigger.” find your fluffiest or thickest afghan and fold it the long way and place it on the back of the loveseat to make it appear as though the loveseat is taller. Then ad big pillows. at least four, to make the loveseat fluffier. See how that looks.
    ...See More

Awkward living room setup

Q

Comments (18)
    Flo, i think you have the tv at best spot on that wall or left back corner catty maybe? It may can also be viewed from a dining table near the front wall in dining room or even kitchen if catty in that spot. I imagine that sectional is almost 48” deep though? Living room isn’t too awful tiny for an apartment i think, although i agree the two sections of sectional, ottoman and cool round piece (?) is a lot for the space if we want to use the slider.
    ...See More

help with living room setup

Q

Comments (18)
    @MAE we really liked your layout, especially the round table. i think that will be a nice focal point for the room. what i'd like to know if its possible to have something similar but where, if you walk in and out the room, you're not getting in the way of the person watching tv
    ...See More
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

I would place the sofa at the windows so it doesn't become a wall to prevent you entering your room. I also think you may need lounge chairs that have rounded backs to take up less room visually.

• Naveen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cheryl

Thanks for comment. Bunch of interesting ideas there.

I am also looking for a rug, but was waiting on a decision on the arrangement of the furniture to get measurements. I will take the perimeter measurements you mentioned, and make sure if they work with a couple of seating configurations.

I am afraid pulling things together might leave only a little room for the little one to play. The room is not as big as the pictures might be making it look. I will take the measurements tomorrow and post.

• Naveen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beverly,

Great simulation pic - you even added a tv in there! (may I know what software you used).

I never thought of turning the sofa and have it face the chairs. It certainly lends to a freer flow. I always imagined TV as the focus and putting something facing it. Will try it out.

Thanks for the tip on rounded backs. Will take anything that can make the room look bigger.

Both the chairs you selected as samples are in neural (beige/taupe) colors. Do you think those are the colors I should go with? I do want to add some color to the room, but no sure which colors, and how i.e., a colorful rug and matching accent pillows would do it, or the chairs should also be of a different color.

Also, is it ok to have the two chairs be of same type, or would it be an improvement to have two different colored and types of chairs, for eg., say having the two chairs in your post.

• Naveen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

havingfun

You made really good points. I had the discomfort with ottoman seating on the back of my mind. Dining room chairs (yet to buy) are certainly a great alternative. May be have just one ottoman as a coffee table cum emergency seating?

Did you mean two three-person sofas facing each other? We were actually considering a loveseat similar to the one in your first pic i.e, frugal on the space for the arms and back, to face the windows.

Color-wise, like the blue in the rug in your first pic. In fact, I saw and liked a rug today that had similar colors. May be get a chair/loveseat in blue and go with a rug similar to these two? Would it be crazy if I want to add a little red-family color into the mix somewhere, like a third color - beige, blue and reddish. I feel that would add an edge. But how best to do it.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I just use Microsoft Paint. I think it comes with every MS operating system. It's all just cut and paste.

There has to be a logical way to get to the front counter and to the back bedrooms, so you have to be an easy path.

With the same furnishings, you should be able to do this layout also.

• PRO
    Camden Lane Interiors
    5 years ago

It might be easiest to have one couch and two chairs with how much space you have. Obviously we are not recommending a white couch, since you have an 18-month old, but the layouts and the chairs are great pieces, along with the rugs.

Sandyway Residence · More Info

Sandyway Residence · More Info

Moon Drive Residence · More Info

Harshaw Residence: Living Room · More Info

Naveen thanked Camden Lane Interiors
  • Naveen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@bev, I might go with the second one with the chairs on the either side for easier tv watching. But switching between either is easy, and more importantly the sofa & two chairs configuration seems to be the way to go to allow this flexibility.

Camden Lane Interiors

I love the blues in your pictures and feel naturally attracted to them. But the designer we met at a store today suggested that grey will offer more flexibility for decor, whereas with a blue you could get stuck. I need to think hard about that.

Nevertheless, I picked some blue-grey shades from to store to check against the sofa. Anyone you like from this lot, or if have a different suggestion let me know.

Thanks all as always.

• havingfun
    5 years ago

blue is difficult for those who do not really like it. but you really cannot get stuck if you consider blue jeans, the sky with flowers, a reef with a myriad of fish swimming through. if you think of all the options that go with blue in life you realize that it really is a natural neutral.

Naveen thanked havingfun
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago
    Any of the colors you brought home would work. They all would be a good base to work from. That's the plus of having neutrals to work with. Solids also are great for expensive pieces like furniture. Color brought in with pillows, art and accessories that can be changed without too much expense when you just need a change. I like changing things up with the seasons. Light and airy summer and spring, warm and cozy winter and fall. Just buy things you like and make you feel good. You'll love the room.
    Naveen thanked Cheryl Smith
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago
    Forgot to say. I once got a couple swivel gliders from Craigslist that worked with my furniture but the design pretty much made it impossible to find a rug. I ended up just getting a solid color carpet remnant just to have something while I continued to look but never found anything. Which is why I like solid color furniture. Swivel gliders work great though to watch TV, enjoy the view or join conversations without having to actually move the chair. Lots of styles to choose from and comfortable.
    Naveen thanked Cheryl Smith
  • havingfun
    5 years ago

i am not quite sure, but i think i agree with cheryl. I believe that patterns in your furnishings often make them difficult to match up. solid colors to me act as a neutral and mean you can change up whenever you want. true i would find it very difficult to get melon to go with christmas. but those who appreciate it far more than i? i bet they could work it out.

Naveen thanked havingfun
  • Naveen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Agree with solid > patterns. Though I usually lean towards solids, I now have solid (pun alert!) reasons to fight off the temptation of the numerous patterned chairs in the stores.

@havingfun, those are some splendid examples of blue playing with other colors. Agree that blue does work with most colors, still wondering if it's a design norm to match the shade of blue of the chairs with one of the colors in the rug.

• havingfun
    5 years ago

yes, usually you use your rug to tie your room all together. also keeps you from throwing all different colors in. why what were you thinking?

• Naveen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just making sure I should still be doing the matching with the rug - matching here would not be just playing well, but be exactly the same - for whatever the color I select for the chair.

• Naveen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

To summarize here’s what I learned from this thread so far:

• Sofa with two chairs is the better combo, for the given space and flexibility of configuration.
    • Use dining chairs for the extra seating.
    • Solid colors for the chairs.
    • Any shade of blue-grey for the chairs should go well with the sofa while offering a second color.

I am going to visit some stores this week and the next and see what I can find. Will post.

• havingfun
    5 years ago

sounds good to me. you don't need the extra seating on a regular basis - correct? if you did you might wish to return to two sofas. but 2 seems a little squishy. have fun!