SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stillpitpat

Chicken or egg: paint or lighting first?

stillpitpat
5 years ago

I have been working on white paints, both for my cabinets** (need to decide kind of soon) and walls (can take a little more time), and I want a fairly bright white that is not too cool or too warm. It has to go with Corian's Glacier White and SW Liquid Blue (back-painted glass splash). I got some great advice yesterday on another post, and I am going to go to BM today for samples (I got a few from SW, not sure they will work tho). But as I thought about it, I came up with a broader question: what decision should be made first - paint color or lighting? I know of course that you need to evaluate paint in the type of light you will have (or do have) in your kitchen, but since that is also changeable, I don't know where to start. Is there a preferred type of lighting (cool vs warm) for kitchens? Is there a default type of light to start with and then change if you don't like it? I am going to do some large paint sample boards so I can move them around, but should I also be changing around the lightbulbs?

I am all for a lot of light in the kitchen, as we used to use a gigantic florescent ceiling light that was there when we bought the house. It was ugly, but it provided a lot of light in the "working" half of the kitchen. The new lighting will be way more even across the kitchen, as there are tons of can lights, plus the undercabinet lighting, an accent pendant, and no peninsular upper cabs to block light. As for natural light, there is not a ton. The room faces the west, and there is a small window and the new door will be about 2/3 glass (though often left open in spring and fall). The natural light will be somewhat obstructed by the back porch, pear tree, and the garage as the sun is going down, so we will be relying mostly on artificial light.

Right now the bulbs in the can lights are Ecosmart LEDs 8.5W 840 lumens, and I think they cast a cool light. Is that the default for kitchens today? I know LEDs have come a long way and *can* be warm. Are there also "in between" LED lights? Kind of like true white paints - bright but neither warm nor cool? I have played a lot with light bulbs in my house, but rarely starting from scratch. Our old DR fixture had glass shades that looked too warm with soft bulbs, but Reveals toned that down a lot. Same with our bathroom lights. But in those cases, I already had the rooms painted and the light fixtures up, so there was only one variable to experiment with. I am not sure where to go right now. Should I try a bunch of white paints, and then if I don't like any of them, try changing the bulbs? Or are my current bulbs way over on the cool side and I should swap them for a more neutral bulbs before evaluating paints?

I have developed "migraine vertigo" over the last few years, and I am almost inducing an attack on myself just thinking about this. :)

**I know I also need to get a cabinet paint sample from my cabinet maker, but I think he is going to make it up just for me. It's a small outfit and they don't have tons of samples to just hand out. I'd like to only ask him for 1 or 2, so I need to narrow this down!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH