SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gypsyardie

Backsplash gone wrong! Help please

gypsyardie
5 years ago
We had our guest bath remodeled in the last few weeks. Our designer was on a course the day the vanity backsplash was grouted.
Her team called me in to show me the grouted backsplash and it looked very nice, however it was darker than I had imagined and looking towards the ungrouted shower I knew I didnt want it to look dark. I was able to reach her and when I asked if the shower could have lighter grout she said ok. I advised her I would go to the store to get a lighter grout and while I was there was able to reach her and she told me not white and picked a lighter color. I returned home and gave it to the tilers who proceeded to grout the tub area.
When the designer came that night she was upset with her crew and me. She lectured me that they should have waited on her to grout the tub area and now the backsplash would have to be acid etched and grout lightened and it would take time and a cost of $600.
I asked if we could leave the 2 sections with different grout as the area us slightly broken up but she said no it would have to be done this way.
The vanity backsplash was redone and now the grout is rough, uneven, the tile outline looks muddled and not crisp. On top of that they also didnt protect the counter from the acid and now it has rough spots.
Her crew, as well as her assistant and I, have used sandpaper which helped in some areas, but other areas remain looking very unprofessional and I'm disappointed with how it looks now.
She wants to wrap up the job by tomorrow or Friday but I want her to resolve the issue since her "fix" really made it look worse. I've asked her for other suggestions but nothing.
What options are there for fixing it?
TIA for suggestions.

Comments (3)