SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amysrq

Finally decided on backsplash...please help with layout

amysrq
14 years ago

I am at about 14 months (and counting) on my backsplash dithering. I seem to have had a breakthrough in my favorite breakfast spot yesterday, where they have a stacked subway format in the bathroom. Yippee! Stacked, it is!

So, here is what I need help with. I will be using Oceanside Glasstile Muse in the stacked rectangle.

These are my two inspiration pics:

The large picture is what I think I am after, approximately. The second pic, of the small mosaic, shows the Sandstone color I plan to use for the field. Sandstone is opaque with colors ranging from soft amber to pale blue. The stripe will be a single row of the same size tile, also straight stacked, in a clear, pale blue color that looks like this:

All of the tile will be iridescent, so the stripe will be subtle when you are looking at the tile from an angle. Straight on, the pale blue tile is transparent, so the stripe will be more visible.

This is the kitchen:

The clock is gone. I also bought this to hang over the stove after the tile is in:

The rabbit looks better in person than it does in pics, more of a presence, I think. It in non-negotiable 'cause I love it! I think it should be considered as I ponder the layout and number of stripes.

So, that is the question. How many courses of tile should I use between the stripes? The sheets come nine high and each rectangle is 7/8 of an inch high. Should I aim for five stripes, like the first inspiration picture shows? Or, do I do more stripes since there will be less contrast? Also...I am thinking more stripes since the tile size is much smaller than the inspiration kitchen.

I am a little worried that five stripes will be harder to get looking just right, that maybe more stripes will be more forgiving. There is not a lot of glass being put in in my area and I am a bit nervous about the skill of the local installers, particularly with paper-face mounted tile. I know it is a cop-out, but I often try to devise simpler plans (that I still like, of course) that will be less challenging for contractors to get right. That said, I don't think I want to go as far a pic #3 where the layout is incorporated in the pattern already. But, that would be the simplest route.

The counters will be a soft speckled white quartz. The walls above the tile will be a seafoam color picked up from the tile, as low-contrast with the tile as possible.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading! I appreciate any insight into my approach. Please offer any critique, except for where the rabbit is concerned! :-)

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!