SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miss_tilly

Frank Bruni on how to do college

In one month, I will drop off DS2 for New Student Orientation. Having just dropped DS1 off at NSO last September, I have spent a lot of time thinking about what I hope my children get out of their time at university.

Looking back on my undergrad years, I think my college taught me how to be the best version of myself. Aside from learning how to manage myself and my time, I learned how to manage people and budgets, lobby authorities and collaborate with mentors, peers and people way above my station in life at the time (I was/am very star-struck by academicians.) I learned how to be effective and useful and learned how to knock on any door and see it open. Practicing for real life on that smaller scale, surrounded by mentors whose mission in life was to be thoughtful and helpful toward young people, was invaluable to me.

Bruni's essay on this subject is wonderful. As he says, we give children a lot of advice about choosing a college and getting into it, but then we offer little on what to do once you are there.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/17/opinion/college-students.html

(I tried posting this earlier.)

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES