SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orangemouse

AC's Broken & Mold's a-Growin'...Help!

orangemouse
5 years ago

Not a perfect rhyme I know.

AC (vented system, ac unit it outside and broken, heating unit comes from the boiler room in garage) finally died a little over a month ago and we decided to switch companies and put in a new system in the orange-mouse house. Problem is it will be a few weeks from now until they can come to install. (It took a while to research a new company and we were busy).

The past few weeks I have noticed mold popping up in every odd place. Most worrisome have been on a nylon backpack, a poly luggage piece, a leather shoe I haven't touched in years, on a basket and on books. And then the more typical places--bathroom sink and floor, floor outside the bathroom, brush at the kitchen sink.

The mold often occurs in dusty places. It is as if the dust on some items "transformed" into mold. Been here since 2005 or so and never had mold issues (but also never had the AC die, especially for so long at this point in Long Island summer)

I've quarantined the affected items in the garage where there doesn't seem to be any mold and cleaned the places they were with vinegar and paper towels. Also cleaned the items with vinegar.

How do I get rid of this mold in the short term? How can I prevent it in the long term once my AC is fixed? Please help!

Comments (6)